Hunting Shows Making Me Cringe!!

Cabin Fever

I've noticed several times this season watching hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel where guys are taking those dreaded quartering to shots! Don't know if they are just rushing to get a kill on camera or what, but I cringe everytime! I see it sometimes multiple times each day on different shows. If they would just wait a couple more steps to get a broadside or quartering away shot, it would be a much safer shot! I've tracked a couple of single-lung hit deer and those suckers can go a LONG ways!

I think it encourages new/less experienced bowhunters to take that shot also. I was always taught to never take that quartering to shot.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll go out on a limb and say that the shot IS doable if the situation is absolutely right.  If the deer is quartering towards you rather slightly, then there is enough room to take out the lungs.  BUT it is a shot that has risk.  Too far forward and you can skip off the shoulder blade.  Too far back and you only catch the back end of the one lung and then you're into the guts.  Not to mention that the deer is likely looking at you. 

Obviously, it is best to wait for the broadside or quartering away. 

If you are comfortable shooting bullseyes in the heat of the hunt and know exactally where to hit, then shoot.

Problem is at that angle the difference between a bullseye and too far forward or back is a couple of inches either direction.

If you have ever blown a quartering to shot once, you won't take one again. Been there!

I can't stand Hank Parker but I enjoyed "one" of his shows that was realistic . One of his sons was in a tent blind and couldn't figure out how he missed a chip shot . It finally dawned on him that his arrow was about 3" below his sight and he had accidentally shot through the side of the blind .

Jacky Bushwacker wouldn't have admitted to something like that !

Some of the shots look extremely bad to me, and the deer seem to go a good ways without looking like they are seriously hurt.  Yet, in most instances they will find it and claim that the deer didn't go 100 yards.  I often wonder if they have another hunter with a rifle stationed close by just in case of these poor bow shots.  I wouldn't pass anything by them, that's for sure.  For hunters who are considered "pro staff" whatever the heck that means, these TV hunters surely DO make a good many lousy shots.

Good point Cabin Fever. The quartering to shot is a bad one to take. Those guys on the TV probably don't know the difference, what's a good shot and what's a bad shot to take. Just because somebody makes a video, doesn't necessarily mean that they are knowledgeable and seasoned hunters.

If this is an example of their good hunting judgment, I'm glad they don't show us their bad stuff!

I hate those shows ! Bad shots, few pass throughs . look when they go back the next day to find it, ya know it was with 10 guys 3 dogs and 2  thermal image cameras.

Look come to NY walk on a farm or public land then shoot a  good 2 1/2 ! Know what they'll never even try...........

I hate those shows ! Bad shots, few pass throughs . look when they go back the next day to find it, ya know it was with 10 guys 3 dogs and 2  thermal image cameras.

Look come to NY walk on a farm or public land then shoot a  good 2 1/2 ! Know what they'll never even try...........

Larry ..... would you go out and scout the area and then hang the stands for them ? They certainly don't do it themselves !

I like watching Roger Raglin he does stupid stuff like I would find myself doing in the heat of the hunt. His videos don't seem to be scripted and they are sometimes hard follow but man can he shoot, especially moving animals. Ive seen him connect on animals I would never have tried to take a shot at. His videos seem to more like real life hunting, and he gets just as excited over the little ones as he does with the big ones, its actually quite annoying sometimes.

i believe these guys are taking shots like that in order to produce on "CAMERA".

its quite hard to make sure everything goes good to lay down a kill on camera, especially on a big one. i think this is why you see these types of shots often is because you look at these guys and your not watching there show to see them talk for 30 minutes, you want to see action and see them lay down some kills... i dont think people realize the pressure it can cause to one when trying to produce on film for a show.  do i think its right to be taking shots like that? prob not... but  who am i to judge....

think about how hard it is for some of us to produce---- off camera----- now try to do it on camera for viewers, im sure its not an easy task.  and i do know there are plenty of out fitters with access to good deer! but im sure it doesnt make it all that much easier for camera guys to get the angles and shots and what not.

but i have seen what you guys are talking about with these shots but its all about producing at the end of the day...

Thats the thing, as a hunter, I'd rather see them not take the crap shot. Talk more and show about scouting, prep work, plots, etc. I can care less if they kill something on camera. I wish the networks would realize this, I'm sure I am not alone on this. Now seeing a good hunt with a kill shot is great, but not every damn segment, its not realistic.

You may be in the minority regarding the kills on camera.

Heard TV hosts saying viewers wanted more kills per show & less discussion.

I'm with you, also like the shows that talk about whitetail biology and management.

My all time favorite was an episode about a deer's vision.

Another favorite was about a buck's activity and why more 1 1/2 & 2 1/2 year old bucks are taken that the more mature ones.

A show I really enjoyed and that hit home had a discussion about economically managing small properties and co-existing with hunted, neighboring properties.

Yeah, I like seeing the big busier bucks with the gnarly racks and huge drop times stealthfully wandering thru the woods.

Could care less if they kill them or not!

Here are some hunting shows that I would like to see:

1- an in-depth discussion of blood trailing

2- a discussion of scouting here in the northeast. If it had to be a multi part series, that would be fine.

3- a close up look at back-packing hunting camps with plenty of ideas regarding equipment, and weight and space saving ideas on packing, as well as camp set-ups.

4- a complete discussion on ground standing, including purchased ground blinds along with on-site built blinds. Designs, and other important considerations involved in hunting from the ground.

5- A shooting primer (long-guns and hunting pistols), showing the most effective ways of getting accuracy and setting up in the field.

6- archery basics, along with equipment building, care and maintenance.

7- a total discussion on rut behavior and timing (multi-part if necessary)

8- an in-depth discussion of the science of scent. How it travels, the effects of brush on scent dispersal, how and how long scent attaches itself and lasts as an alert to deer. What increases the effectiveness  of the deer's sense of smell. How weather (wind, rain, temperature, etc.) effects scent, etc.

These are just a few of the unlimited supply of hunting related subjects that nobody ever seems to want to try to show. The point is that TV hunting programming doesn't always have to be the same old boring format that we have been drowned in over the recent decades. It's time these guys started to use a bit of imagination and creativity and branched out into the many other hunting related subjects. Yes, they can still include the traditional shoot-em-up hunts, but once in a while, toss in something that's a bit different than the previous thousands of hunting shows that have already been aired. We hunters aren't that simple-minded that we can only handle the same show, over and over and over and over.

Doc

Thats the thing, as a hunter, I'd rather see them not take the crap shot. Talk more and show about scouting, prep work, plots, etc. I can care less if they kill something on camera. I wish the networks would realize this, I'm sure I am not alone on this. Now seeing a good hunt with a kill shot is great, but not every damn segment, its not realistic.

im with you john, i like to see the planning and scouting shared with the viewers... however, MOST people want to see kills. same goes for cooking channels, it would suck to see people talking about cooking if they did not actually cook anything... same basis implies here. i think it is safe to say majority of people want to see the action. i like both but i do like to see the leg work put fourth in a hunt. and what works / doesnt work for others. most guys do not care about the politics.

I'm with Doc on this one, add various forms of white-tail calling to the mix too.  You get the instructional DVD's with your calls usually, and those are ok but each instructor has his own personal taste for those things. 

The thing is they have to find sponsors to get these shows up and running.

You do occasionally see a good show with the actual stand setup + scouting, but they're few and far in between.

Most of them are the Jeff Foxworthy, bone collector, pre-canned "here go sit in this stand and don't shoot anything under 180+" B.S.  That crap will fly down in Texas but not up here.

for the most part tho guys, at the end of the day they have to produce.... Thus taking shots maybe un ethical in some viewers eye. Again, its not an easy task to get the camera guy and shooter on the same page as far as the animal presenting a good shot and camera man being able to get the right angle and be able for both the hunter and camera man to jive. im sure its not easy and i do believe this is why you see shots like this.

that or the fact maybe these shots are considered "ethical" to that particular hunter or show. Its gotta be one of the two. Hunting ehics vary - hunter to hunter, county to county, state to state what one may do another might not...

But i still think the filming aspect is quite difficult to jive between the 2, resulting is crazy shots or even rushed shots... But hey, you never know.

also think about how hard it is for 1 hunter in the tree or blind or whatever, think about how many times have youve been picked off in a stand. Now add another guy who is filming and the margin for getting picked off or scented or whatever is greater. im sure its not as easy most of the time as these "non reality" shows make it to be...