Carrying extra rounds in the field?

Rickshaw

I leave mine in the box (box of 5) and stuff the box in a front pocket of my blaze orange vest. Works pretty good. I'm talking about slugs since rifles have not yet been allowed in our county.

I have a 100 yard rifle range up on the hill for bench-rest shooting the rifles. The rounds are stored in plastic ammo boxes that hold 50 rounds per box. They are packed carefully in a box on the front of my ATV along with bags and targets and eye and ear protection, and chronograph, etc., etc.

22s and shotgun shells, I'll carry in my pocket. Centerfires, I'll just load the gun. I figure if I empty the mag, then my day is done. Good or bad. I mean, would there be a time when hunting where you fired off 4 or 5 shots and it wasn't enough? That's not a rhetorical or a sarcastic question by the way...I'm really asking.

22s and shotgun shells, I'll carry in my pocket. Centerfires, I'll just load the gun. I figure if I empty the mag, then my day is done. Good or bad. I mean, would there be a time when hunting where you fired off 4 or 5 shots and it wasn't enough? That's not a rhetorical or a sarcastic question by the way...I'm really asking.

centerfires? signalling for help when a horse threw me and broke my knee. comes to mind right off. coyotes, woodchucks, turtles, fish, those all require many boxes of rounds on good days...those MTM 100 round boxes work best for us for those days, anytime its less than a box or two I use those tri fold elastic bandeded jobbers already mentioned, they wear out but are cheap to replace..other times more ammo than 4 rounds carried?..anytime I am in the bush and there are guerillas, gorillas, or anything about that can claw me bite me or eat me in large chunks...I dont mind dying, I do mind dying for lack of shooting back.

I mainly hunt with flinters so carry about all I can comfortably carry at one time, maybe 100 rounds worth on round ball, half that in shot., which is about a pound of powder to go with that.

• Like 1

I hunt with NEF single shot Handi Riffles . I didn't care for the elastic cartridge holders that stretched over the stock . I lost a couple cartridges and was worried about where they might turn up .

I prefer the cartridge holders that fold in half and hold 10 rounds . they have a clip snap and can be attached to the belt or go in the pocket without damaging the ammo .

post-132-0-26078100-1341696108_thumb.jpg

My experience with the elastic holders over the stock has been the same as Eddie's..I lost ammo. I suspect that someone who hunts mostly from a blind might not be as likely to have problems, but if you run and gun for turkeys or wiggle through the cover stillhunting or driving deer, you chances of losing ammo from such a holder increase.

I also use the folding cordura holders, either on my belt or in my pack. I have two, one for standard calibers and one for magnum calibers.

Shotshells, I just dump in my pocket...

Scouts motto - be prepared. Empty the mag and then get stuck in the woods over night or maybe even a few days and I'd want enough ammo for any emegency. Or wound an animal when you empty the mag and then what?

• Like 2

I use the buttstock elastic holders as well. If they get stretched I just get a new one. when rifle hunting with -06 I have 4+1 in gun and 9 on the stock . In my fanny pack is a full box (just in case)

For deer with my 1187 I don't go afiled with less than 20

ML--1 loaded , 5 speed loaders and components for another 5.

I have been on some long tracking trips and would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

I guess it matters where and what I am hunting. For squirells and such with 22 or pellet gun I put a handful maybe 25 in my pocket. For deer shotgun 4 or 5 in the gun and 2 in my pocket. Then a box in my pack and one in the truck. I have no issue shooting 3 or 4 deer in a day if I had the tags and chance. I have never shot more than 2 so far though! Rifle 3 in the gun and two in the pocket then remainder of box in truck. Muzzleloader 1 round in the gun and two speed loaders in pocket and 2 in the pack. If I am hunting out back I carry less than up north in the Adirondack a few miles in. I could not carry in a stock holder the way I usually hunt I would lose all kinds of rounds!

• 1 month later...

I put 1 in the chamber and 5 in the tube of my Marlin then I have a leather bullet holder thingy that holds 10 rounds. It's made to go on your belt but I just toss it in my backpack. Same thing when I carry my Winchester 70, 1 in the chamber 4 in the magazine and 10 in the leather holder in my pack. I knew a guy who used to bring more than one rifle into his hunting blind. I would ask wth for and he would say you never know I might run into some A- Rabs. I would make sure I wasn't anywhere near the loon.

Standard for back country hunting. Carry at least 9 rounds. If you empty the clip on prey (5 rounds semi) you still have 3 for emegency location with one spare. This is minimum. Love the scout refrence and yes if in trouble how ever unlikely I do not ever want to get caught with a empty fire arm... My 30-06 rounds were easy to carry in the plastic federal ammo case and are split into 10 rounds. With the extra gloves, neck warmers etc in my pockets I usually mixed my 44 mag ammo into them, even though my 44 mag holds 9 rounds I only load 5 as they seam to fly out of the gun faster than needed... I like the stock holders but have yet to try them. I usually bring at least 15 rounds into any deep woods hunt but have never used more than 5... I bring 4 arrows for bow hunting, 1 on the string and 3 for emergency location...

Edited by NFA-ADK