What calibers have you taken deer with..?

Pygmy

300 Savage, Model 99 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt round nose

30-06 Weatherby Vanguard 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt RN

20 ga Franchi ultra light auto Brenneke

12 ga Browning auto Brenneke

50 cal T/C Hawken 380 gr Great Plains bullet 72 gr Pyrodex

missed with a 243 Winchester in a Savage 99 100gr Remington

missed with a 7X57 Brno Mauser 98 I think 150 gr Remington RN

missed, thank God, with a Browning 45# recurve, never got my bow deer and my shoulder gave up the ghost for drawing a bow

Funny, the missed shots and the bow deer!!

I have to say I have missed with the rifle on one or two shots.What can I say?

I was certainly not "laughing" at the Suilleabhain comment. Just funny that he mentioned them. Darn good sport!!

I have no problem with a miss. WAY, WAY better than a non fatal hit.

I grew up on a farm 6 brothers and sisters. What we didn't raise for food we killed. Shot many a deer off the tractor doing farm work. Of course that was 45 years or so ago and times are different now.

I know the feeling I have 9 broth's and 6 sister's.Dad was busy but provided for all of us.

1. 12 gauge Sluggers. Shot several Long Island deer with them out of a 870.
  2. 12 gauge Copper Solids. Shot one LI deer with them. Too expensive to shoot a deer twenty feet away. Used a scoped 1100.
  3. 270 Winchester. Shot my first deer a spike horn at about 50 feet with it. DIRT. It was a Savage 110 left had bolt action. Hated that gun. Sold it right away.
  4. 30-06 Springfield. Shot most of my deer with this in a 742 and later a 7400. 20-25 all together.
  5. 35 Whelen. Shot one buck with this in the neck at 60 feet. DIRT. 7600 rifle. (Also killed a bear with this gun)
  6. 35 Remington. My new favorite deer round. Killed my best two deer with this in a 7600 carbine. Got both of them mounted. Also killed two spikes and two does.

hmm, stretching my memory but I will try; rifles, muzzleloaders, shotguns and handguns as follows; 22 Long rifle, 22 Magnum, 218 bee, 22 hornet, .223 rem, .222 rem, 5mm rimfire, 25-20, 250 sav., 6mm, 243, 22-250, 30-06, 35 rem, 62 cal, 50 cal, 32 cal, 32 special, 44mag, .357 mag, 22 jet (insert), 308 win, 25-35, 38-55, 45-70, .444, .72 cal, 56 cal, 54 cal, .256 mag, 303, .410, 16 gauge, 28 gauge, 12 and 20 gauges (slugs), .380, 9mm, 41 mag,

probably more if I had more time to think but it stopped pouring and I am making a break for my car from this coffee shop! thanks and glad to meet all of you

Bill

Yep....I think your memory was stretched a bit!! What's that.....deer taken with 39 different guns? Sorry, I think you are pulling our legs!

Thats twice that you have basically called people lairs on this thread. With out knowing how long a guy has been hunting, how many different guns he has own, how old he is or how many states he has hunted!! You seem like another one of those internet hero's that sit at a keyboard out there insulting people just trying to stir the pot!! Why don't you just shut your pie hole!!!

• Like 1

12 gauge (various sabots)

50 cal smokeless ML (300 grain Barnes Originals)

7mm-08

Bow

Crossbow

That's it! The vast majority have been taken with the shotgun thanks to Tompkins and Cayuga counties refusal to allow rifles. I occasionally sneak across the Cortland county border to use my "banned" weapons - the 243 and 7-08, and there I can't use my crossbow! Strange laws, let's make more of 'em. :-)

Zhe Wiz

Edited by Zhe Wiz

hmm, stretching my memory but I will try; rifles, muzzleloaders, shotguns and handguns as follows; 22 Long rifle, 22 Magnum, 218 bee, 22 hornet, .223 rem, .222 rem, 5mm rimfire, 25-20, 250 sav., 6mm, 243, 22-250, 30-06, 35 rem, 62 cal, 50 cal, 32 cal, 32 special, 44mag, .357 mag, 22 jet (insert), 308 win, 25-35, 38-55, 45-70, .444, .72 cal, 56 cal, 54 cal, .256 mag, 303, .410, 16 gauge, 28 gauge, 12 and 20 gauges (slugs), .380, 9mm, 41 mag,

probably more if I had more time to think but it stopped pouring and I am making a break for my car from this coffee shop! thanks and glad to meet all of you

Bill

Wow, that is an impressive list of iron Bill.. Welcome to the site. Would love to here some of the stories behind some of these deer kills. The memories must be amazing...
  • Like 1

I've killed a bunch with various 12 guages (both smooth bore and rifled), several with a 30-06, several with my 7mm08 and one with a 50 cal. muzzleloader.

Honestly, I'd much rather see some white fletching disappear into a deer...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

I would list my kills, but in fear of people insulting me, I'd rather not. But I will say that the weight of the projectiles were 20 grains and 18.1 grains. Both clean kills. Otherwise, I think this is a great thread!

Ahh dont be scared you pansy,,, your gonna get insulted anyway so you may as well spill the beans on these kills and get it over with Nancy...LOL How was that LOL..