NY Crossbow laws are dumb!

Guns&ReligionCop

I was told that if you were unable to hold the legal draw weight for more then a certain amount of time you could apply for disability.

Fairly easy to get a permit to modify a bow like with a drawloc.

Almost impossible to get the one allowing crossbow

The laws are dumb!! I was always against allowing crossbows into archery but then I got to thinking. If I was ever injured and could not pull my bow back, it would be the end of the world. Atleast a crossbow would keep me in the season. I love the bow and would never use a crossbow unless I was injured. But unless its atleast allowed for handicaped people its not even an option.

I do not want to get into a debate about letting the X-bow in bow season but they should have the option of any disabled person with a doctors note and DEC approval to have a X-bow during any season... Come on DEC if they still want to hunt let them, it's our passion!!! Plus it will add up to more money for the state... Plus plus!!! Politics suck and are probably keep this at bay.

The DEC will make it a legal impliment in bow season, it's just a matter of time I think...

• Like 2

I say just get this bill intoduced again, passed, and into law at least for the sake of the elderly and disabled who can't use compound bow anymore. Better yet, just make it legal for anyone during archery season. I am missing out on archery season due to limitations and secondery side effects of lung cancer, which has effected the muscle and bone in my arms and hands. Some these may be permanent, but I hope be back next season cause I still have chance for cure doctors said. And the crossbow will allow me do hunt, so lets just get this done. Why should the disabled or elderly be denied the privelege to hunt? LETS MAKE IT LEGAL!!

New York state and NY bow hunters be damed. If I wanted to hunt with a crossbow I would go out squirrel hunting and if a deer came along that I wanted I would shoot it and go back and get my bow. Also if it is on my own land I would post so tight that a mouse couldn't get in and hunt with a crossbow. You just keep to yourself and tell no one what you hunting with and than there is no one to turn you in. I have a close friend that does this on his land and gets a buck every year. He used to let anyone hunt if they stopped and asked , but not now. He posted all his land three years ago and New York state be damed..He told me that when NY opens up crossbow in bow season, than he will let people hunt.

Dude, what on earth are you talking about????????????????

• 2 weeks later...

It is stupid that fully disabled persons can't use a cross bow.Plain dumb.they could get alot more money with licenses.

Its plain stupid they don't fully allow the crossbow in all deer seasons season. These laws are supposedly about game management. Whether its a youth, a disabled veteran, a 110lb woman or someone who just prefers to use a crossbow, it makes no difference me. There's no increased range, the hunt is exactly the same except for the weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound like a dumb question but here it goes ..... I know you can use a crossbow during gun season .... Can you while using a crossbow take a deer of either sex without a DMP ? Just curious ! (told you it would sound like a dumb question )

Just for the information part of it. Its regular or open season. Not gun season. Your reg season tag is good for an altered deer only. Doesn't matter what it's killed with.rifle, pistol, muzzle loader,bow, crossbow, shotgun.

• 6 months later...

MOST ARE TALKING ABOUT THERE OWN PERSONAL CONDITION. HOW ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE XBOW IS 'JUST ANOTHER BOW'

THEY ARE MORE DIFFICULT TO HANDLE IN THE WOODS THAN A COMPOUND. COMPARE XBOW WITH A COMPOUND DOLLAR TO DOLLAR

AND THE COMPOUND IS EASIER . OTHER STATES HAVE LEGALIZED XBOWS IN ARCHERY SEASON WITH NO PROBLEM. TO BAD N.Y.  HAS ONE

'D' ASSEMBLY MAN IN THE POCKET OF N.Y.S.B.H. LETS ALL STAND TOGETHER IN ONE VOICE AND FORGET OUR OWN PERSONAL PETTY

REASONS TO LEGALIZE THE XBOW !!!  CHECK THE FACTS THEN  VOTE !!!!!!         SJ.

sorry about the cap lock. did not mean to scare you.

??  where would bow hunting be if the compound bow was not allowed years ago ?

states that have legalized the crossbow in all seasons have not reported any problems.

I hope we can do the same here in N.Y. & keep the laws simple & easy to understand.

hope this is not to confusing .    SJ

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By suburbanfarmer
      Any one seen the new crossbow by Excalibur called Twinstrike. 
      Thoughts on the design? I for one feel it definitely takes this out of the bow category. Will be launched today.

• By nyslowhand
      Hate to be the pessimist here, but any 2020 Xbow legislation appears to be going the exact same route as previous 5 years. Last year's legislative bills had different verbiage &/or provisions, kudos to NYCC! Bills still died in both the House & Senate's Enviro Conser sub-committees. As of early January 2020 the same bills were refereed to those dreaded, slow death sub-committees ... again. Am I waking up to a new day (year) with new hopes that will eventually end as the previous day (year) did?
      Love to get some input on this thread from NYCC about how I might expect this year to be different than previous 5yrs. Just difficult to be encouraged when  Xbow hunters seem to be in a reoccurring Groundhog's Day (legislative) cycle.
      Clearly we do NOT need to beat this dead horse again with strong opinions from Pro vs Con members. Looking for suggestions about how to break this cycle.
    • By nyslowhand
      Strictly an FYI for those wondering whatz going on this year. Not meant as an open invitation to express your pro/con opinion, yet again! We all know where everyone stands, many times over!
      Got this notice from NYCC when cking my eMail late Wed evening. Most interesting provision, if I'm reading correctly, is to allow the DEC to implement Xbow useage, seasons, a legal implement, etc. The bad news is these bills were refereed to each house's Enviro Cons sub-committee. With only ~13 working days left before summer recess, it'd be some unheard of "swift actions" by our NYS legislators to get these bills thru the approval process & on Czar Andy's desk. I'm still unclear about the reference to a "special archery season", WTH is it!?! Anyways, here's the cut/paste body of the announcement, with membership & leg contact pleas omitted...
      New Crossbow Bills Introduced   Last week Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner and Senator Jen Metzger introduced crossbow bills. These bills are not full inclusion but they offer significant movement toward it.    A7627 (Woerner)/S5818 (Metzger)  What do these bills do? Changes crossbow to the bowhunting privilege from the muzzleloader privilege Replaces the special longbow season with a special archery season and adds crossbow Allows 12 - 15 year olds to hunt with a crossbow (removes the prior prohibition on 12 and 13 year old's) Authorizes those 55 years old or older to use a crossbow in a special archery season Authorizes those physical unable to draw a longbow as determined by a physician to use a crossbow in a special archery season Allows youth to hunt wild small game and wild upland birds with a crossbow Changes the term bolt to arrow Removes the 200 lb maximum draw weight and the minimum 17" width restriction Repeals the prohibition on the use of mechanical devise with a bow and authorization (permit) for disabled hunters to use crossbows which may be discharged only using one's breath Authorizes DEC to adopt regulations authorizing the taking of wildlife using a crossbow and to include a summary of such regulations in the hunting syllabus Reduces the setback to discharge a crossbow to 150 feet consistent with a long bow   
    • By jimmyfromjersey
      I am selling a Ten Point Crossbow Blazer HP package.  Excellent bow, ready to shoot.  Comes with 3X scope, sling, ACUdraw, 4 bolts and 3 broadheads.    I live in NJ but hunt in the Catskills.   I will be traveling to Margaretville Friday morning and can bring the bow up the NYS Thruway thru Kingston and Route 28 West to Arkville if anyone is interested.   
      Priced to sell at 500.00     
      Text for pictures or feel free to call me and speak with me the old fashion way.   732-330-2004    Jimmy  
    • By DanD
      Starting to look at entering the field of crossbow hunting. I've done a little research, but I figured I would ask the masses for their opinion. I was looking at something middle of the road and a recurve for easy of maintenance. Crossbow will be primarily used out of a treestand as well. The Excalibur Grizzly has been on my radar. Anyone have any thoughts on this bow or something similar? Not looking to break the bank, and I'm not set on the recurve just seemed like an easy entry point for someone like myself.