SAFETY TIPS

Guns&ReligionCop

I like the threads that help hunters instead of starting debates that go no where i.e. Antler restrictions, food plots etc... So I thought maybe I'll start one with saftey tips that we can share with each other.

1.) Always let someone know where you are and when you are expected to return

2.) Have some basic first aid equipment

3.) Carry a knife

4.) Radio and or cell phone on your person not in your pack

5.) Unscrew or remove tree steps after the season because tree growth can weaken the metal and cause them to stamp

6.) Have an extra flashlight

Go ahead lets hear some....

Edited by Guns&ReligionCop

Read the directions and watch the video your new stand came with to know how to use them safely.

Suprised you did not say use a climbing harness and a safety harness.

Know your target and what the hell is behind the target your shooting at.

Always carry a compas or a gps dont care who you are or how long well you know the area theres always that chance of getting turned around.

Use your brain if you think its not safe its not safe.

Just a few more for your list.

I'm 100% with your gear list ,and what the others have said as well.

I test my stands and harness each year.Hang them a few feet up climb in bounce some,check straps cables and so on.HANG from harness. The first time you do this should not be WHEN YOU FALL ! It rides up a bit it makes movement a little harder,reach etc. the straps make it almost impossible for me to reach a cell in my front pocket. The harnesses with those sewn folds you may not be able to hang from without them breaking as designed to do in a fall,which also drops you lower then you may think.

Here's something everyone should have when in the woods with sharp knives and broadheads.

http://www.quikclot.com/QuikClot-Products/QuikClot®-Sport™.aspx

I have an aerial photo that I usually go over with my wife to point out exactly where I intend to hunt and my intended route to get there. She is very familiar with the hill, so when I mention landmarks up there, she knows exactly what I am talking about. Also, I check to make sure that my phone is fully charged. I also give my bow a quick look for any problems before I even take it out of the house.

For gun hunting, I always hunt defensively. That would involve adequate amounts of blaze orange. Also, I generally sit at the base of a very large tree with my back totally covered. I am always on the look-out for approaching hunters and when one is in sight, I keep my eyes fixed on him until he is out of sight.

Here is one of those things that falls into the category of do what I say, not what I do ..... go hunting with somebody. There are a lot of situations that you may not be able to handle by yourself where having someone expecting to see you or hear from you can provide more timely help than just a panicky 911 cell-phone call to someone that has no idea where you are or any of the location descriptions you are trying to explain.

Also, for some of us older hunters, dragging a deer can be a lot safer with some help. Also, radios (walkie-talkies) probably are not all that bad an idea for hunting partners, with the intent of periodic pre-planned contact times.

Good point Doc. I have a friend who fell while trimming from his stand. He broke his femur, he called 911. I'm amazed that they found the entrance to his camp as I often have trouble,let alone him out in the woods.

Gullick rd. You might have heard of it.

Edited by Larry302

If you go solo, make a float plan if no one is around. Write on paper your planned route of hunting and possible spots and leave this on your windshield in a ziplock bag if a family member of friend is not availible.

That common scense remark will keep you out of 90% of the danger we get involved in. Think safety!

If you fall can a broad head cut you? If so how can you prevent this.

EX:Having a back quiver I do not have fixed blades in my quiver. Any unexpected falls will not result in injury...

Keep that safety harness TIGHT with very little slack, just enought to move... The more slack the greater the fall and possible danger...

ELB's are getting cheaper every year, if you go back deep or have any health issues they are a invaluable life line where cell service is not availible.

Place your shot...

• Like 1

1.)Hunting near freezing/frozen water can become tragic in a moment. Be mindful of where you're walking. River mud can be very slick!

2.)Watch overhead for "widowmakers"! Every tree will fall at some point, even a small branch can impale you.

3.)Always carry a lighter! The lint from your socks is an excellent fire tinder.

Edited by PREDATE

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that it is only a deer. Your life is probably not going to change very much if you get one. All too often people lose their minds it seems when gun season rolls around and they see a deer. Relax, enjoy yourself, and be aware of your surroundings. Make your first shot your best.

• Like 1

Heres another pointer if you are up a tree. Paint the top of your steps with white spray paint to make them more visable during your decent in the dark.

I use strictly ladder stands, so this may only apply to them or possibly hang-ons. I put a couple of wraps of orange surveyors tape around the tree as high as I can reach from the platform. Couple of stands I've done this at ground level. Makes it a little easier to find for hunting buddies or rescuers to find the stand. Probably only applies to private or leased properties.