Legal hunting hours need revising

WhitetailAddict11

A group of us made it a practice just not to shoot a deer after 4:00 PM many years ago.Reason is if it was a bad shot,not easy to find a wounded deer in the dark.And if you do not find it that night chances the Yots will have a good chunk of the meat gone by morning.

I'm guessing you weren't in the the woods becuase I started getting good light around 6:30 in the woods

I was in the woods in Carmel, NY. Watching an open area next to heavy pines. I could see through my scope out to 40-50yards well before 630am. With the naked eye I could see the 40-50yards just after 6am.

I was in the woods in Carmel, NY. Watching an open area next to heavy pines. I could see through my scope out to 40-50yards well before 630am. With the naked eye I could see the 40-50yards just after 6am.

I was just over the hill in putnam but I was on the darkside of a mt. It was light enough that I could walk around at 6:15 but not good for shootin. Another hunter walked right past me and didn't notice until I'll whistled. When The sun popped over the ridge it got real bright fast though

I am not against the guys that shoot just before or just after the exact sunrise and sunset times. I'm just trying to teach the rules to a 14 year old. He's spent plenty of time in the woods and I'm trying to make sure he understands all the rules. The last shot we heard was 510, 40 minutes past sunset.

this eve i got a call from my dad just as i was walking up to my buddys truck to head home at about exactly five o'clock saying that the neibor just called and said that he heard some shots on our property a little while ago and he just noticed a truck sitting along the road (property is posted) we tore over there real fast and then parked up behind the truck in the ditch.... long story short we waited about an hour till about 6:10 then about five guys come and start getting in the truck.... (no deer) i come walking up and my buddy stands up 20 ft away in the ditch LOL they jumped like crazy and started acting real nervous i walked right up and asked if they no that property they were just on is posted? o no the guy says seams his aunt owns a 150 yrd wide strip of swamp between our land and the road, ok i allready knew that was not ours but that 4 pt u shot (at around 3:45)and were tracking WAS on MY property O NO NO NO we NEVER went on ur property....... i left them off w just a warning not to tresspass again but as i thought about it later hum i wonder what they all were thinking being out there an hour after dark w loaded guns and all........ im pretty sure they thought i was the game warden when i stepped out untill i walked up and they could see me... LOL it was so funny watching them guys and then stepping out and watching them jump... i told my buddy later that this is my kind of job... sneakin up on bad guys lol lol (they never found the deer as far as i know so i might go out tommorow and try to find it, i think they r bad shots, of course im sure the pot (i susspect) had NOTHING to do with it either )

Edited by josephmrtn

6:50 am was surise here yesterday morning and by 6:31 gun shots were filling the air around me. At 6:35 am I came upon a big doe and massive 8 point buck 200 yards out. I did not shoot or even put my rifle up. I knew it was way too early to shoot and technicaly the rifle season was not even open yet. I watched the buck chase the doe hard up the hill into the revine after a while of watching them. Its all I could do.

Shooting hours should be set for the worst conditions - not the best and they need to be hard numbers not left to judgement.

On an overcast day in the woods, the current times are good.

Does anyone need a deer that badly they need to push the envelope?

• Like 1

Did you guys ever notice how much the sunrise and sunset times change as you go across the state. It's unbelievable how much of a difference there is from Buffalo to NYC. I had no idea.

One thing I did take note of was what I could see 1/2 hour before sunset (or more specifically what I couldn't see). Yes, I could have easily shot with that limited light, as long as I wasn't looking for any detail on the deer. But then, it was a crystal clear day. I'm certain that 1/2 hour before sunrise on a cloudy day would have been way too dark for safe target ID, and a good look at what was in the background especially if there are guys running around without blaze orange. There have been other years when there was a bit of fog mixed in with heavy clouds that would have made a 1/2 hour before sunrise absolutely ridiculous. I think the state got it 100% correct with the sunrise starting time and the sunset finish.

• Like 1

Funny thing, I'll bet that plenty of guys had NO idea WTF "sunrise or sunset" times were or that there even was something official setting it. They would just figure when the could see it must be sunrise??

Anybody wanna take that bet??

Ever since the last thread about it guys are just starting to notice. Funny deal.........

I've hunted with a ton of guys over the years, and watched plenty more. I have yet to see ONE get down or walk out at the end of legal time .

For all practical purposes 99% are already doing 1/2 before and after, the other 1 % are doing 55 in the left lane, its the law darn it !

Hey Biz why would DEC check for corn?? Did NYS make it illegal for deer to eat corn now? :bye:

In years past if the DEC finds corn in the teeth of the deer, they make the hunter take them to the kill spot. Illegal baiters are then issued fines and pay the consequences.