Are you FOR or AGAINST a change?

For those of you that are for or against changes in the gun laws here is a simple question. Either you like the laws exactly as they are now OR you feel that some kind of change need to be made in an effort to make it safer to live in the USA.

These changes could be but not limited to: ban AK's and AR's for the general public; 5 bullet clip limit; every gun purchase, private or new requires a paper trail, everyone has a gun card; etc.

A) Do you want the gun laws to stay as they are?

B) Do you feel that some kind of change should be made?

I would like a change....starting with throwing out the useless ones on the books they either don't enforce or that do nothing to enhance public safety.

I wouldd also like crazy stiff laws for those using a firearm in ANY crime. Like life in a box or Death sentence.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 3

i dont like threads like this cause everyone always starts bashing each other but, i would feel that no the gun laws should not stay the way they are however i would like to see gun being allowed in more places schools ect i would not be against requiring a gun card or paper trail to buy a gun if thats what it would take to allow guns in more places, but do not feel it would help...

I would also like crazy stiff laws for anyone using a firearm in any crime. Like life sentence or Death sentence...

and i totaly agree w the reply i copied...

QUOTE: starting with throwing out the useless ones on the books they either don't enforce or that do nothing to enhance public safety. QUOTE

i also would be totaly agains banning anything less than ten rounds for rifles and shotguns, and a 22 or 17 should be allowed a 20 or 30 (my 22 has a 10 round mag)

just my thoughts... i know not everyone on here agrees w my way of thinking and that is fine i dont have any hard feelings against any of you...

I don't think new gun purchasers all need to have mental evaluations. Not like people can't be sane one day and then go nuts down the road somewhere. What SHOULD happen is that anyone already evaluated by doctors to have some mental issues that could be deemed hazardous should be put on a list that would be hooked up with NICS checks. If these people come in to buy a gun, they would not pass the NICS check. Real simple actually. Nothing is foolproof of course, but to do NOTHING will not work.

• Like 2

I don't think new gun purchasers all need to have mental evaluations. Not like people can't be sane one day and then go nuts down the road somewhere. What SHOULD happen is that anyone already evaluated by doctors to have some mental issues that could be deemed hazardous should be put on a list that would be hooked up with NICS checks. If these people come in to buy a gun, they would not pass the NICS check. Real simple actually. Nothing is foolproof of course, but to do NOTHING will not work.

Completely agree with Steve here. The background check systems are only as good as the information put into them. If a mentally ill person has never committed a crime under the current system, there is nothing to prevent them from obtaining a weapon. If people are treated for a potentially dangerous mental illness, this needs to be picked up by the systems. I know that the ACLU and human rights folks will go crazy over this because they would rather the entire country lose their second amendment rights than a potentially dangerous person with a mental illness be added to a list. Think about it - in both the colorado theater shooting and the recent school shooting, these monsters were both thrown out of school and raised a number of red flags. Not sure how you would get the logistics in place to label them though.

I posted before that the above could be a slippery slope for ppl....who's going to vet the "vettors"...what are they going to look at...I mentioned meds for one thing being used for other problems not related to normal use by Dr's...If a person was ever even prescribed and anti depressant should they not be allowed a gun?...by the way one doesn't even have to purchase such prescription to have it on their medical records as being prescribed...

"So people are acting pretty set on gun control, but all their ideas are things that do nothing but pester law abiding gun owners. ... So idea: Let's just pretend to pass gun control. The people who most want it won't know the difference between an actual law being passed and absolutely nothing being done, so can't we just say we passed a bunch of laws and pretend everyone is safer? We'll call it the 'Super Deadly Gun Ban Act' and it will ban fully-automatic bolt action shotguns and armor piercing hollow points and any magically enchanted guns. And then all the dumb people will cheer, 'We is safer!' So it's the same result as an 'assault weapon' ban, but no enforcement costs and no petty intrusions on liberty. If people want useless things done to make us all feel safer, can't we all just play along?" --humorist Frank J. Fleming

Gun Laws and bans don't work. Attack guns and you make things a lot more dangerous. Look at Australia for Gods sake. Educate yourselves on what has alraedy happened in places where this stupidity has been enforced. I do not have the time, nor the space here to give you all the flaws in the logic of gun bans. I implore you folks to do you reasearch somewhere other than these forums and get the truth.

Joinining the NRA and reading the American Rifleman would be a good place to start. And don't start with the NRA bashng here. That organization is the only hope gun owners in America have at this point.

• Like 2

For those of you that are for or against changes in the gun laws here is a simple question. Either you like the laws exactly as they are now OR you feel that some kind of change need to be made in an effort to make it safer to live in the USA.

These changes could be but not limited to: ban AK's and AR's for the general public; 5 bullet clip limit; every gun purchase, private or new requires a paper trail, everyone has a gun card; etc.

A) Do you want the gun laws to stay as they are?

B) Do you feel that some kind of change should be made?

why is it no one can understand.....this guy didn't own a single gun

he killed someone and stole her gun, yes it was his mother, however the fact remains the same

the system was working, until a crazy person stole a gun, isn't killing his mother illegale? why would more laws make a differance?

against, the "change" does not address the problem... we need to lock up the psychos like we did in the 70's and the state and Fed need to pay for it..... plus arm teachers and security guards (like they do in Israel) and have a nice life....problem solved...

there is no way we can ever predict every event like this or prevent them all. There will always be illegal guns even if we banned them tomorrow. Performing a mental health check (doctors note or something) can go a long ways though. It's not perfect, corrupt doctors, future illness etc. We are mostly NYS residents here where it can take over 6 months to obtain a pistol and does not require references or safety classes. It does not take nearly that long in other states. I think it would help.

I want change. I want the entire state by state gun control system scrapped, and replaced by a uniform national set of laws that go through each existing law, using very stringent criteria, to evaluate which ones really have proveable value. Those that don't pass muster simply get scrapped. No more state laws. No more duplicate laws. No more redundancy. No more nonsensical laws that are in place to only serve as harrassment of legitimate gun owners. Clean it all up with a goal of getting the whole mess down to a few pages of uniform, effective laws that apply across the country.

Of course I am a realist and understand that this level of interstate cooperation will never happen. But that is the change that I want.

• Like 2

Would it hurt my feelings personally if military-style weapons & large capacity clips were banned? No, I don't a gun like this, and have no plans to in the future.

BUT...as an NRA member & multiple gun owner...I say no changes. I don't believe for one second that the anti-gun crowd (at least in the US) will be happy until ALL forms of firearms and yes, hunting also are made illegal. And that, for me, isn't an option.

• Like 1

I do worry that once they ban large magazines or AR-style rifles, there will be no change in the level of violence. They will then look to ban another style of weapon and it will never end. Pretty soon, we will be limited to single shot weapons, and then once someone uses a single shot to commit murder, they will look to ban those. The goal of most of the gun control crowd is the elimination of all guns, because in their warped utopian minds no guns = no violence. We see how well that works in the rest of the world.

I am for certain changes. I have no interest in ARs or similar firearms. But I don't agree that they should be banned.

Like Doc I believe that we should get rid of the state to state laws and institute a Nationwide law with more thorough background and mental health checks, before anyone can obtain a firearm of any kind. Some may argue that this will cause longer delays to getting a firearm but with today's technology it is easy to set up a computerized database containing the necessary information where licensed dealers can easily submit a person's information and get criminal background as well as mental health results within minutes. It's already done with long guns. It just needs to be more thorough. But then we have to consider how deep should they be allowed to go?

I know that no matter what changes are made, they will not prevent the criminals from getting their hands on illegal firearms. But we need to start somewhere.

• Like 2

The second amendment isn't about hunting or target shooting, it's about empowering the people to be able to defend themselves and hold back a government that is trying to oppress them.

On that basis, civilians should be able to have any arms that the government has. That's the way it was when the decision was enacted, that's how it should be now.

You can't stop an army armed with m16's, if all you have is a single shot.

• Like 2

post-152-0-28136300-1356014027_thumb.gifDeerthug, are these the type of rifles you have no use for?

I don't mean to sound sarcastic but I'm not sure what you didn't understand from my earlier post. I simply have no interest in these types of rifles. I never had any intention of purchasing such rifles even before the mass shootings. BUT I do NOT believe that they should be banned. Doing so would only be banning this type of instrument that just happened to be used in the last couple of mass shootings. As I said we need some more methods to keep these as well as other instruments of death out of the wrong hands. How we do this? I really don't know.

Even if these rifles had been banned, I don't think anything would have stopped those wackos from blowing up the theater in Aurora, or the Oregon mall or the school at Newtown, which incidentally if done right, I think would have done a hell of a lot more damage than the weapons used. Evil is all around us and it will rear its ugly head again and again and again no matter what instrument is used. It's part of certain people's nature and it's a part of life and death.

Edited by Deerthug