The Nuge

fasteddie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now this should bring the haters here back out of the woodwork.

We can read all about how Ted is so bad.

We can read all about how Ted shit his pants.

We can read all about how Ted is a draft doger.

We can read all about how Ted is a poacher.

We can read all about how Ted is to radical to represent sportsmen.

We can read all about all the other flimsy material the haters can dig up, because, my god if you arn't a Ted hater groupie you must be one of those guys who kiss his ass and want him to be president.

hillary loves the haters.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's moral. Just because it's moral doesn't mean it's legal.

People confuse legal with morals.

He was hunting on a ranch, IMO it was up to the guides to inform him using attractants was not allowed in Calif.

Also I've yet to see the differnec in a food plot or as I call them, planting non-native species in an area when they do  not exist.

Food plots are growing bait piles ;)

Yup, I'm one of the haters, but I will stick to the subject at hand.  I agree that too much emphasis can be put on hunter ethics.  What is ethical to some, may not be to others and in the scheme of thing all that matters is that we don't do anything stupid enough to jeopardize the safety of others and ourselves.  We all go out to try to kill something for whatever reason that makes us want to kill something.  We can try to philosophize the killing and how it should be done all we want, but the end result ( a killed animal) is all the same whichever way we go about it.

I have to admit, that I would like to know just what it was that he was trying to say. That little clip sure doesn't sound real great unless it was severly taken out of context. Is he promoting hunting without any concern or care about the ethics of how you do it? Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I found that little clip a bit disturbing.

I have to admit, that I would like to know just what it was that he was trying to say. That little clip sure doesn't sound real great unless it was severly taken out of context. Is he promoting hunting without any concern or care about the ethics of how you do it? Yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I found that little clip a bit disturbing.

That's Ted Nugent for you!  Many hunters love him and consider him a great orator.  I guess this is one example.  LOL

Well, like I suggested, maybe something has been badly taken out of context, or maybe he just has a different definition of "ethics" than I do, but I view ethics as a personal code of right and wrong. I would hope that no one is trying to convince others that you should not have that in your make-up whether it relates to hunting or anything else they might get involved with. I don't get it. I'm hoping that that particular rant was merely an introduction to a larger point that he was about to make.

Doc

Ted is (and always will be) on the fringe with his comments, but I watched a longer clip of this same show and he made some good points.  Namely, about the over-regulation of the sports.  We all know some rules that are just silly.  Also, a great point about baiting.  Regardless of how you feel about it, you can't oppose baiting deer and then go down to the lake and put a worm or minnow on your hook.  We can't bait in NYS, so I don't, but I don't oppose it where it is legal, either.  How do you allow food plots and then justify banning other types of baiting?

Regardless of how you feel about it, you can't oppose baiting deer and then go down to the lake and put a worm or minnow on your hook.  We can't bait in NYS, so I don't, but I don't oppose it where it is legal, either.  How do you allow food plots and then justify banning other types of baiting?

I would definitely agree with what you say.  I see NO difference between baiting and food plots.  I am not against food plots, but simply don't see the difference between them and baiting.  The food plot proponents will tell you that it's NO different than a hunter hunting over a cornfield, but in all probability the corn was planted there for human or animal consumption and the hunter just happens to be hunting there unlike the food plot people who spend hours and hours planting it and spend lots of money buying it specifically FOR deer.  They put it out FOR the deer just like the guy who throws out apples, corn, grain or whatever on the ground to bait them.  Again a kill will be a kill, no matter how we make it.  I just find it funny when people try justifying things that really don't have any justification. 

This thread has the potential for spinning off a whole bunch of side topics such as the bait controversy above. All these things that members may consider examples of ethical decisions and quandries. However, I don't believe that the DEC opposes baiting or feeding based on ethical considerations, or at least I have never heard them explain the feeding and baiting laws based on ethics. Whether you agree with those particular laws or not, the only DEC problems with the practice that I have ever heard relates to herd health. When it comes to the differences between food plots and bait, I would guess that they would argue that there is a world of difference between the two as regards the concentration of feeding and depositing body wastes and fluids by the deer. Even a small food plot does not concentrate deer feeding activity any more than any normal agricultural activity, where baiting and feeding force deer to stand at exactly the same isolated spot (within a few feet or even much less), constantly feeding in exactly the same spot where other deer have deposited urine, feces, and saliva. Now, when I think of baiting or feeding, I am picturing a pile of food or a small tight broadcast area either of which practically or actually force deer into the same footprints. That is nothing like food plot feeding or ag crop feeding. It may sound like a fine distinction, but in terms of actual disease transmission, it is a big difference.

I realize that someone is going to pipe up and note the time that they watched a couple of deer grazing nose to nose. I've seen that happen too, and I know it does happen. However that occasional nose to nose accidental contact is still a whole lot different from the bait or feed pile that guarantees that that will happen every time and with an entire local herd involved. No, you cannot change the occasional social behavior of deer to eliminate all such contact, but there is nothing good that can come from purposely making that happen by design. So, I really don't think that this issue falls under the "I hate ethics" rant that Nugent was having, because it's not a regulation based on ethics at all.

Doc

Old Ted loves to have the camera around, so of course it catches him at times not exactly at his best...

I myself am not a fan (though I love "Srtranglehold)) of his sportsman persona, but I do think he calls it as he sees it, and stands up for it. I do not like at all his "in your face, take it or leave it" style. I did hear him speak in person to a very mixed audience on an anti drug -family values theme, and came away very impressed. So although I dont care for him personally, I do respect him. We could do worse for a spokesman...he could choose to be quiet.

Also I've yet to see the differnec in a food plot or as I call them, planting non-native species in an area when they do  not exist.

Food plots are growing bait piles ;)

The difference is one has been deemed legal by the state of NY while the other has not. If you want to bait in NY you have to grow your bait. If you want to break the law then dump deer crack out of a bag and brag about what an awesome hunter you are. There is no difference between shooting a deer at night and using bait. IMO  they are both breaking the law so there is no dif. If you use illegal baiting methods you are just as bad as the hunter who jacks a deer at night

i liked him until the whole crappin his pants thing. oh and the 7 children with 5 differant women thing too. seems like Ted is just like deer, he eats then he looks for something to screw, hee, hee. ;)  he still makes me chuckle, i don't know i guess i have mixed feelings about the guy. is he really good for hunting???

What about an old Jeep or truck with a plow that might be servicable to use just for plowing . Something that would stay on the property and just be used for snow plowing .

Sorry about this post . I meant to post it in a different thread . I don't need Spell Checker ..... I need Thread Checker ! alt=madhttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/angry_table_puter.gif[/img]

Geeze, even steve863 got past the Ted bashing and talked about the message in this one.  ;)

From what was shown in that clip, there really wasn't much of a message other than (strictly in the context of that clip) Nugent doesn't believe in applying ethics to hunting. I strongly disagree with that attitude, and if that was what he really wanted to say, That may encourage me to start bashing him too.....lol. However, I didn't get to see the rest of the program so I have no way of judging whether somebody just lifted a piece of a damaging rant with the intent of leaving a negative impression. Ha-ha ..... they do that in ploitics all the time.

Doc