Upper GI & Colonoscopy

Lawdwaz

Sounds like a good thing to do all in one visit.......NOT.

I'm on the schedule for next Friday. I had some issues last summer that weren't good. Survived it and got through the hunting season in good shape. Probably the fact I started on prescription omeprazole in late Sept. got things back on track and I've been feeling pretty good of late.

Anybody ever done both tests the same trip? Uggh.......

Yeah, I have...I just told the Doc to make sure they did the upper FIRST...hehehe..

Actually the procedure is a piece of cake..They give you some REALLY good drugs...

The bad part is drinking all of that gunk they give you the day before and spending several hours within a step or two of the throne...

Ohhh fun time ahead for you...lol..lol

No.... but I have had all three test before...actually the upper GI once when I was 9 and then again when 16.....

I was awake for those as well as the lower GI I had a week after my colonoscopy ...so I don't think they can or do an upper GI when under anesthesia....I do know they make you drink a lot of barium( what they use to use) and for your colonoscopy you need to be free of anything in your system....looks like you'll be at the hospital most of the day?? With the GI being last?....Best wishes

Never had the lower half yet but have had multiple Endoscopy's. Its no biggie and Pygmy is right the drugs they give you are great. The first one I had done they gave me lots of it and I felt like I had drank way to many beers after and walked as fast as a turtle to my wife's delight. lol

I do know a few people that have had the lowers and the stuff they give you to drink is always named something funny like, "Go lightly" or "Blast" no joke thats what they name it...haha

I had an upper GI probably 20 years ago. I remember drinking the barium while they had the x ray type machine over my chest and then I could watch, along with the Dr all the barium being moved down my throat into my stomach area. THAT was not cool to watch, IMO. At the time it showed the I had a hiatal hernia.

Had the upper a few years ago...the yucky pink metal juice with sand and metal shavings that weighs 25lbs per 6oz glass. Just pinch your nose shut and don't let it touch your teeth, and don't chew it. :)

My DR will probably have me do the lower next year,pushing 50 here. Not looking forward to it,but it could extend your life quite a bit if they find something.

I actually have just had both a colon and an upper done recently. honestly, neither one were all that bad. The colon was a very forgettable experience because of the drugs. the "worst" part is just passing the gas afterwards, but again your in such a stupor it doesnt matter. I have some phantom pain that since thanksgiving has been plaguing me. I've also had some CT scans and about a million xrays and blood tests and they have ruled pretty much everything out. Fortunately the pain has lessened quite a bit, but it is still there. GL with all your tests.

I remember drinking the barium while they had the x ray type machine over my chest and then I could watch, along with the Dr all the barium being moved down my throat into my stomach area. THAT was not cool to watch, IMO.

As a kid that was pretty cool to me at the time...and they referred to the barium as a strawberry shake...ya...NOT!!...lol

Worst test I ever had in this category was the Endoscopy's....back when I had them done the blk cable and camera...not so little!!...even through the bite plate...the Dr. heard what I was calling him......and the spray made me projectile vomit on him....didn't make parents proud that day.... :girlumbrage:

As a kid that was pretty cool to me at the time...and they referred to the barium as a strawberry shake...ya...NOT!!...lol

Worst test I ever had in this category was the Endoscopy's....back when I had them done the blk cable and camera...not so little!!...even through the bite plate...the Dr. heard what I was calling him......and the spray made me projectile vomit on him....didn't make parents proud that day.... :girlumbrage:

Thanks grow. That story will probably be embedded in my brain and come to light when I'm on the table.............<grin>

Yikes Larry.....hope everything turns out OK.

I made some venison/pork/beef chili last night......

You wouldn't need any of that.....this stuff will burn anything out of you from one end to the other; nothing left to worry about. Used these little dried peppers, holy smokes.

Good luck.....

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

We all need a smile at some point of a day...good luck

PS...with any luck your Dr will come in when you wake up and say.... as mine did...."Everything went fine....You have the colon of a twenty year old"....I said "Thanks...Just what every middle aged woman craves to hear....lol" ...he smiled and walked away

All,

I work in the field of GI research ( Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, refux etc,.... anything from the mouth to the arse). As stated, they are using some pretty good drugs these days. A cocktail of versed and propofol ( the one Michael Jackson OD'd with).

Additionally, the prep in most cases does not require the drinking of all that old school stuff. There is a prep called visicol which is pill form, so you just take the pills and let ST fly :gamer: . The best part of all of this is that there are no extended hospital stays or anything like that, most procedures are done in an office or day-op type place. The total time for both should not take longer than 1/2 hour. The doc's nurses and others in the room usually get a few good laughs from the silly things people say when they awake out of the LA-LA land from all those good drugs.

Lawdwaz, I'm sure everything will be fine. Wishing you well.

• Like 1

All,

A cocktail of versed and propofol ( the one Michael Jackson OD'd with).

The doc's nurses and others in the room usually get a few good laughs from the silly things people say when they awake out of the LA-LA land from all those good drugs.

Thats the stuff!!!

I can only imagine what they hear, my first trip in I had a feeling the DR was gay so I can only imagine what I said to him. I never went back to that office because of that. My current DR doesn't use nearly the quantity that the other guy did which is fine by me.

The best part of the test is that your sleeping throughout the whole thing. Had both done on the same day 3 years ago, its a breeze. Good luck! It's the only time your going to hear a women tell you you have to fart before you leave the hospital!

I have sat in the recovery room a few times after my Endoscopies and it sounds like a bunch of Tuba's in there..lol

Strange place to wake up.

• Like 1

Had one colonoscopy done years ago when I was a teen. Had a cyst on my buttocks removed. For some reason, that mean they need to look up where the sun don't shine to see if there were any in there. How a cyst on the outside have anything to look with needing to look inside, I don't know. I remember it being quick but not painless. There wan't going deep...just a quick look so I didn't receive any cocktail of pain killers.

I also had to take a chlamydia test. Don't ask. Let's just say it was during my college years. I'm sure the doctor who conducted the test was a man-hater. She had a military buzz cut. The test involves sticking a foot long q-tip down the entire length of your man-hood. Thee most painful experience I ever had...ever!

T.M.I. Elmo! What did the Lady Dr do with the other 9.5 inches of Q-tip that she didn't need?

When a butch lady that looks like she doesn't like you and looks like she can bench press you, grabs you by the....yeah, you get real nervous real fast.

I think Elmo was the unlucky one who got payback for all the women who have been violated by male gynocologist over the years. I think I would have ran for my life as soon as I saw it was a woman who would be doing that test! No way would she have gotten even a peek at my pecker! LOL