Hunting behind fence

Four Season Whitetail's

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I don't care if you fence in the whole state, the fence is there for one reason to keep the deer in. Not for me,no thanks. Most of tv hunting is nothing more then killing cattle. fences, limited humans, deer that run into humans have learned humans are no threat because if your not 5 1/2 or older you walk. Game managers,biologists. feed,minerals yada yada. Just like a cattle ranch .

I hunt wild game not raised,feed,managed,farm animals .

Yup where do you think high fence hunting will come in when you think about ar,high fees, no land to hunt and very few big deer to hunt???

Ok, I'm still trying to understand the exact question. Are you talking about the impacts of a fence on the elements of fair chase, or the fact that private individuals have locked up a public resource. Or are you talking pay-to-hunt operations? the above quote seems to cover all of these. I have different answers depending on what all you are talking about.

Doc

You ever look @ the prices of some of those places.  Its nuts...

Unfortunately, what you speak of is a foregone conclusion. The opportunity to kill  a book deer has become a drug to some who are willing to pay for the such an opportunity.

So if you were put in a 1000 acre enclosure and shown a 300 class whitetail and were givin one week to kill that deer with a bow you would turn down the offer!!

Sure - I'd go kill because a genetic freak like that needs to be taken out. But I would not pay a penny to do it or feel it was hunting in any way.

You ever look @ the prices of some of those places.  Its nuts...

Unfortunately, what you speak of is a foregone conclusion. The opportunity to kill  a book deer has become a drug to some who are willing to pay for the such an opportunity.

Problem is, deer cant be put in the books if they were killed in a high fence place.

I guess, if you are talking about one of these places that has the elk and deer and pigs, etc. milling around in a barnyard setting where all the animals have names and eat out of a feeding trough and doze in the shade of a tree next to the watering trough, I don't have a problem with people shooting animals there. That's simply a weird form of slaughter. Where I do have a problem is when they start calling that hunting. I hunt, and there is no way that I want to have that kind of thing labled as anything that I would ever consider doing. Guilt by association sort of feeling ..... eh?

If somebody fences in a 10,000 acre parcel, that is something entirely different. Those animals inside there are still truly wild and have an area large enough to escape, hide and do all the things that animals anywhere have the ability to do to avoid danger. So for me it's not the fence, it's the conditions within the fence. How big an area is big enough? ...... I don't know. It is one of those things where I'll know it when I see it.

Pay-to-hunt fenced operations - Not going to find me there ...... I'm too cheap ..... lol. Also, I have a thing about being as responsible as possible for my own success. It's just a little personal thing that I try to hold myself to. Also, I get this uneasy feeling that I am looking at the only kind of hunting that will be available at some point in the future. Long after I'm gone I'm sure, but still not a very happy prospect for the future of hunting.

Raising deer to hunt - This is another thing that I don't look at very fondly. I see some of these freakish deer that are "created" and then stocked behind fences for hunters to feed their egos with. It's legal, and accepted by a lot of people. We now can grow the most massive trophy money can buy. What that has to do with hunting, I haven't a clue. But those with deep pockets will continue to pursue that kind of way of getting some faked-up trophy on their wall. It really cheapens the achievements of those who actually earn what they get. There is no turning back these kinds of things because fewer and fewer people get concerned about such things anymore. It all will always be legal, but it's just not for me.

Doc

I raise whitetails as a hobby with 7 acres fenced in with 13 whitetails!!We do not hunt on our enclosure!!!I am not so sure of where the future of high fence hunting will come into play  but with no land,no deer,high tag prices, antler restricts and hunter age i am hearing of more and more people doing high fenced hunts.Trust me when i say that i can put you in a preserve and show you a single buck to take with the bow and 99.9% of the hunters could not take that deer.I know i have hunted for over 30 years and have taken many deer and a few book deer and i was offered the same chance and i failed!!!! It might sound like an easy hunt because of a fence but with bow and arrow its almost impossible to do.The deer behind that fence were smarter than most wild deer!!!

I raise whitetails as a hobby with 7 acres fenced in with 13 whitetails!!We do not hunt on our enclosure!!!I am not so sure of where the future of high fence hunting will come into play  but with no land,no deer,high tag prices, antler restricts and hunter age i am hearing of more and more people doing high fenced hunts.Trust me when i say that i can put you in a preserve and show you a single buck to take with the bow and 99.9% of the hunters could not take that deer.I know i have hunted for over 30 years and have taken many deer and a few book deer and i was offered the same chance and i failed!!!! It might sound like an easy hunt because of a fence but with bow and arrow its almost impossible to do.The deer behind that fence were smarter than most wild deer!!!

Having googled you and your "farm" I can pretty safely say you're simultaneously giving both hunters and farmers a bad name, of which I am both.  I'll keep the rest of my opinions to myself.

From deerforums.com:

We as dues paying members feel that an emphasis must be placed on promoting the high fence hunting industry. No any one hunting ranch should be promoted, but instead the activity of high fence hunting in general. This promotion should be funded by NADEFA through its various fund raising activities, and should be directed at establishing a new mindset across the U.S. as it relates to high fence hunting in America. This promotional campaign can be comprised of news print ads, tv shows, radio spots, charity events for the handicapped, and by using well known figures in sports, music and other entertainment, politics, and other high profile individuals. This campaign will take time and patients to achieve the desired results, but we as dues paying members are willing to stand up and assist with this very important process.

I support anyone's right to raise livestock and dispatch/sell it anyway they want.

I have shopped for/shot a boar at a high fence operation.

Just don't confuse it with hunting when no licence is needed and can pick your purchase from a book ahead of time.

I see a trend here.. fenced hunting...baiting...If people start justifing this crap I'm out.

"Trust me when i say that i can put you in a preserve and show you a single buck to take with the bow and 99.9% of the hunters could not take that deer"

yea right... except you can go back the next day and the deer is still there all penned in and safe.

eff your "industry" find a new hobby and stop trying to peddle your goods.