Shower before each hunt?

nybuckboy

Just wondering here... not really interested in your daily personal hygiene routine but ask because I seem to always shower down with a scent killer shampoo/soap before morning hunt but rarely before afternoon hunts. How about your thoughts?

PS: I also start to use a scent killer shampoo/soap about a month before the season starts each day, even if I don't go hunting.

Yes, I do. Sometimes an hour before, sometimes 8 hours before. ;D Seriously, I use scent killer soap just before almost every hunt and think that it makes some, though marginal difference. I just feel better and it's part of my "pre-game warm-up..."or hunting ritual.  I do all the de-scenting basics like with camo in plastic bags, put on outside the vehicle once I get to the woods, etc.

... I also start to use a scent killer shampoo/soap about a month before the season starts each day, even if I don't go hunting.

That, is out there, but I'm not throwing stones if it works for you then OK.

Just took a doe in the NZ early bow opener, was camping out for a week. Day I took the doe I hadn't showered for 5 days. But to be fair I did sort of bird bath the day before with a washcloth & dish bin, the pits were getting grungy.

"That, is out there, but I'm not throwing stones if it works for you then OK.

Just took a doe in the NZ early bow opener, was camping out for a week. Day I took the doe I hadn't showered for 5 days. But to be fair I did sort of bird bath the day before with a washcloth & dish bin, the pits were getting grungy."

I hope you took the dishes out first haha JK

Yes I shower before a hunt but it has nothing to do with hunting, its cause I like being clean.

I usually shower scent free before the am hunt and rely on it carrying me through the day.  For the first time, I am going to be camping out before hunting and was wondering about this issue in regards to campfire smoke, BBQ food scent, and no shower to de-scent.  I guess it worked for you Fantail...Hoping for the same results.

You know my Gramp used to tell me of stories of going hunting after work, sitting at the bottom of a tree in jeans and flannel shirt smoking a cigarette and shooting deer. I know someones gonna say well hunting was different then or there were more deer then or whatever. I love to watch "hunting" shows on TV but it really kills me. I'm not old by any means only 30 but I've hunted all my life with my dad and gramp "ol timers" if you may. We always shot deer, well They did anyways...with no de-scent shower before hunting. I often wonder about these things but I keep my clothes in a scent killer bag that was actually given to me, and I spray before entering the woods. Here's what I often question.....Scent Killer or Scent Away? Hmmmmmm which is better one HAS to be better than the other....but I'm hearing for most it's a "security" thing anyways.

I think some of it can go too far. I really believe that for most deer, they get conditioned to certain smells. A deer that sets up home behind an area that they smell lots of smoke from houses burning wood may be less likely to spook if they smell that on you. walk into an area with cedar scent cover and there are no cedars there and that may spook them. I think no matter the scent blocker or cover we use they will pick you up if the wind is wrong.

I say that and I have shot deer that should have winded me but didn't so who knows. What ever works and makes you feel confident I guess. One crazy buddy of mine actuall stopped eating meat a month before bow season. Said it made him smell like a predator. That usually only lasted a few weeks and he couldn't take the smell of bacon, venison and eggs for breakfast...lol

i always shower down before my morning hunt with scent blocker... and when i get out of the shower they have a body deoderent lotion type for hair and skin, i use that.

that stuff works awesome! and you can use that when you dont want to shower... or before going back out on your afternoon hunt..

I really believe that for most deer, they get conditioned to certain smells. A deer that sets up home behind an area that they smell lots of smoke from houses burning wood may be less likely to spook if they smell that on you.

I say that and I have shot deer that should have winded me but didn't so who knows.

Agreed, in my little corner of the world.

The deer see/smell me all spring, summer & early fall. They'll bound out of sight.

Have had them return immediately after I leave, hoof prints in my own footprints.

They see my ATV and most of the time don't even bolt. Been putting past them as close as 20yds.

Last year had a buck rub within 15yds of a neighbors house.

Probably a completely different story for areas that do not get the frequent intrusions.

They get accolomated to their territory and know what presents a danger.

With that being said, I still try to be as scent-free as possible.

Pretty sure in my area I could get away with none.

I shower normally but I use good old IVORY SOAP. This is scent free. I do use scent killer spray on my cloths every time. I was my cloths in Scent killer soap 2 times a week. I put these in a bag with leaves and such. I chew and also pee from my stand. Seems not very smart but this all works for me. I get a deer or two every year.

I shower with the scent-free soap/shampoo before morning hunts, but don't think twice about working all day and going out for an afternoon hunt without showering. Yep, sounds stupid! I do use scent killer before each hunt. Don't know if it "really" works though...

I shower every day with non scented shampoo and soap during the season and wash my hunting clothes regularily. That said I quit smoking a few years ago but when I smoked I shot as many deer as I have since I quit. I hunt a lot of suburb areas so I think the deer are used to a lot of contaminating smells. Out in the big woods I think it matters a lot more.

I start showering with scent killer soap on Oct 1st, and use it every day through the end of the season. I also use the scent free deoderant. When I hunt, I shower before the AM hunt and sometimes before the PM as well if I have say gone out to lunch and had a big, greasy burger or some other reason to stink me all up. Before I head to the stand, I spray down everything with scent killer and if I havent showered, use the scent killer wipes on my face, hands, hair, etc.

I start showering with scent free about 2-3 days before I go out, and the night before I go into the woods.  I hunt with guys that smoke and they still are successful, but whether it's mental or whatever I still feel the need to take the scent free showers.