New way to haul out deer...

josephmrtn

That's a lot of money to drag out a deer!!!! Why not put the deer on the back cargo rack of the quad??? My uncle used a plastic sled for the longest time and I think it cost him 6 bucks. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and drag the deer out yourself... I bet a lot people would be much more selective in what they harvest if they knew they were dragging by hand. Lol

• Like 1

I've never dragged a deer out with anything but hands and a rope. Never owned an atv.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, Biz...But don't you do most most of your deer hunting on an 8 acre parcel ?

Sounds like a pretty short drag, no matter where on the property you shoot it.

I've done a few long ones, hunting a couple miles back in on public land..

Now that I'm old and fat, I make sure the drag is SHORT and DOWNHILL, unless I have a tractor or an ATV available.. My favorite place to shoot a deer is in a nice, open hayfield, where I can drive up, drop the tailgate, skid the deer up the RAMP, and drive away...

When I was younger, I carried a lot of moose and caribou meat long distances on my back.. I was in the best shape of life back then, and it still damn near killed me. I could not do that today.

To Mr B's shuggrin I still drag my deer out at least partially by hand...usually to a place where I can get the tractor to ...hide it...get the tractor and load it up in the bucket...but some times I grab the ATV and lift it up onto the cargo rack...let me tell ya.....I dragged my bow doe well over 200yrds last year and stuck her in the back of the Van....that was still easier than loading the doe the year before up onto the ATV by my self...

Im glad you are all concerned. I drag with my left arm, my dad has the other rack.

I also hunt dep lands, no atvs allowed. Sometimes its a 1-2 mile drag out. Much easier when snow is on the ground.

post-871-13736597193614_thumb.jpg

Activities below my shoulder line don't bother me. Golf, rowing a boat, dragging things etc. I'd rather row 3 miles than hold a phone up to my ear for 15minutes. I'm not a carpenter or painter, I don't work above my head with my hands, so elected not to have surgery and I can do everything I want to do. Because its permanently separated, ill never get arthritis.

No thanks. I can raise it above my head. It's hammering above my head, etc that inflame it. I'm not interested in surgery with ligaments from a donor or my leg. I've met with many orthopaedics. They were all split on which way to go. My friends cousin is the orthopedic surgeon for an NHL team. I ended up going with him. He's worked on tons of separated shoulders....anyway, back to topic.

It's been 4+ years, some days are worse than others. The pic is from last week after a round of golf, shot 85. It doesn't always look that bad.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

A few years ago my friend and I both shot 8 pointers on opening day of gun season 5 minutes apart. He went back to his house and came back with his ATV. We tied off one 8 pointer on the front cargo rack and the other on the rear cargo rack.

The only regret was that I had to walk out of the woods , but that was fine with me !

I used to use a drag rope in my younger days then progressed to using a sled . In 2009 I bought an ATV and often use that . I had worked for 40 years and decided to spend some money on myself because I know a couple of my kids will piss away their inheritance .

When we get crop damage permits and shoot does in the summer , I use a wheelbarrow so I can haul the deer through the soybean rows .

That's a lot of money to drag out a deer!!!! Why not put the deer on the back cargo rack of the quad??? My uncle used a plastic sled for the longest time and I think it cost him 6 bucks. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and drag the deer out yourself... I bet a lot people would be much more selective in what they harvest if they knew they were dragging by hand. Lol

I think I could build one of them... I already have a trailer tho so i use that or the back of the truck/jeep

Yeah, Biz...But don't you do most most of your deer hunting on an 8 acre parcel ?

Sounds like a pretty short drag, no matter where on the property you shoot it.

I've done a few long ones, hunting a couple miles back in on public land..

Now that I'm old and fat, I make sure the drag is SHORT and DOWNHILL, unless I have a tractor or an ATV available.. My favorite place to shoot a deer is in a nice, open hayfield, where I can drive up, drop the tailgate, skid the deer up the RAMP, and drive away...

When I was younger, I carried a lot of moose and caribou meat long distances on my back.. I was in the best shape of life back then, and it still damn near killed me. I could not do that today.

Me too... you must have been in better shape than i am now... I could not do that even tho i would like too

Im going to use the logic my 63 year old father uses "Ill stop hunting when i cant drag a deer out by hand anymore"  If you have ever driven down the 400 at 4:30AM with a 4 wheeler in the back of your truck and your ears started ringing , that was my dad mother F-N the 4 wheeler in the back of your truck , its comical how much a human being could dislike a machine so much . I just start laughing at him until he realizes what a rant he is on and then laughs at himself.

It's been 4+ years, some days are worse than others. The pic is from last week after a round of golf, shot 85. It doesn't always look that bad.

When I see the pic of you in your avatar I just shake my head in amazement.

Permanent disability huh.............................