300 win mag

fadetoblack188

Disnsdale hit it ont he head. As a longer range gun the 300 is good. I would offer a few more points to consider, not knowing your specific situation. Check on ammo price and availability for the caliber you choose....Is your intention to use this on other big game like out west? what style gun are you looking for? Bolt single shot other? How much tolerance to recoil to you have?

If I was going to be purchasing a rifle, "specifically for deer here in NY", I probably wouldn't get a .300 Win Mag. My Dad used to use one in PA and I used it on several occasions. We probably took 50+ deer with it combined. It kicks like a pissed off mule and I remember us both crindging before pulling the trigger. Seems like no matter where we hit the deer, or what load we used, it made one hell of a mess! Sure makes for an "extra messy" gutting/skinning/meat processing job! On a positive note, I don't recall having to track any deer! They usually just drop in their tracks from the shock!

My Dad had a .300 Win Mag, because he also used it in Wyoming and Colorado for elk, mule deer, and antelope.

I plan on blowing the dust off my Dad's .300 Mag this fall though, since we'll finally be able to use rifles in Wayne County! He's been gone for 7 years now and I'm looking forward to letting the .300 out of it's cage!!   :biggrin:  I'm thinking about looking into using the reduced recoil loads though... 

Edited by Cabin Fever

Is a 300 win mag to much for deer?

I am looking for a good long range/ deer gun I have 1000 bucks to burn always wanted a 300 win mag

Heck no it isn't "too much" for a deer but is it too much for you?  If you've never shot one, you should find a friend with one and whack away with it for a magazine or two...........

Do you own any rifles now?  What chambering? Do you have a good place to shoot and do you plan on just hunting deer with it?

If your just going to use it for deer hunting each year and shoot 1-2 shoots prior to the season for sight in, then the 300 is just fine.

The thing is, depending on your answers, much better choices are available.  $1000 is a decent amount of money for any of us.  If this is a one and done deal, you better REALLY enjoy shooting the thing!  If this could be the start of a gun safe full of love, then have a ball and blow it all.  <grin>

Talk to me Goose..........................................................

No such thing as too much gun.

Shot placement, bullet design should be thought about if you're saving meat.....go kill stuff.

Agreed to a point. If you're accurate 100% of the time you should be fine. But a bad shot could lead to less salvageable meat. I certainly wouldn't use this:

1000 For gun? Maybe 400 for gun and 600 for scope, you should have more into the scope than the gun.. I'd look at a 30 06, 308 , 270, 280 before a 300 win mag, seen them kill deer and see them destroy them too. what do you consider long range? Because a gun can shoot that far doesnt mean you can. And ammo availability is always something to consider as well.

The .300 Win. Mag. is a great round...but I wouldn't buy one to use for eastern deer for all the reasons mentioned:  ammo cost...recoil...etc.  My neighbor has a superb old Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag.  He can really shoot it and has taken mule deer and elk at long range with it.  But...for deer hunting here in NY, he uses his .308.

what's consider long range around here for shooting deer anyways? i'm sure everyone has that 200 yard shot they like to brag about, but honestly what is the average yardage for deer you've taken? I have a 300 but its just a gun to bring to the range to see who has the balls to shoot it, never ever taken it deer hunting. I think you could use that 1000 bucks and get a lot nicer set up for deer then a 300 in my opinion.

• Like 1

I would go with a 30-06, 308, 270. You can get good accuracy out of them out to 300yds. Farther depending on the shooter.  I have shot the 300mag and it kicks like  a bitch. Nothing you can't handle (like in that video) but a lot of thump. Same with the 300 WSM.

I shoot .308 winmag. I really like it. I picked up a thompson center icon. Camo with all weather coating. Shoots like a dream. Rifle ran me around $900

A what?

308 Winchester,   not a 308 Winchester Mag.............correct?

Not much you can't do with a 308 and fun to shoot!

don't worry I use my 223 for deer too...................so I'm covered in both directions :)

fadetoblack..............get ahold of one, try it out, might be to much for ya, might not be,  choosing a caliber for a deer rifle is a personal thing, and they all keel deer just as dead with a well placed shot.

Edited by waterweasle
  • Like 1

I  bought a 300 win mag about 10 years ago, being assured it was necessary for bear hunting. My first year bear hunting I shot , horribly mangled and killed...though not immediately, a small bear. a six inch chunk of three joined ribs and a lung were left on the ground where it was hit. The bear was about 170 lbs, about the same weight as a fair NY deer. It was the last thing I shot with it. I stick with my 45-70 for tree stand hunting and bears (four one shot kills, dropped on the spot without unnecessary carnage) or my .308. Far lighter than any .300, more than enough range for anyshot offered in NY, available in a short action, much more inexpensive ammo. There are folks who preach never too much gun....there sure as hell is.

There are folks who preach never too much gun....there sure as hell is.

I'll stand behind my comment.

What bullet, at what speed(including distance), at what weight, and what angle......conversley whats in the 45-70 at what speed etc.

A friend from Colorado just shot an Impala (about the size of a mature doe here) with a 500NE double a few weeks ago.

Hard CEB bullet clean in one side of ribs clean out the off side ribs; no drama.....510 grains at 2150+/- fps....Maybe a tad more from his gun; long barrels.

Bullet choice(including all parameters) and good shot placement trumps all IF the shooter can do their part handling the gun.

You can't seperate one part of my quote from the other.