What's your best remedy for poison ivy?

First-light

Not allergic to it...I can roll in it like a dog in a fire pit or dead animal and come out clean.

Annoys some of my hunting partners to say the least because I generally don't pay heed to stand locations with it growing.

LOL, know someone  on here, that said it didn't effect them last year and boom, caught it.

They say a persons system changes every 7 years, IDK.

I can vouch for reaction changes over time. My reaction to a bee sting is less than when I was kid and teenager.  However I seen to be developing slight-mild season allergies that I never had before.

I have not gotten a poison ivy rash in years, but do use Technu soap within a couple hours of exposure the last few years.  So either Technu works great, or I no longer re-act.

The most common steroid prescribed is Prednisone. the day after day dosage will be according to the patients size and weight and the severity of the allergic reaction. It works the same day it is taken and will drastically reduce the hot and itchy feeling of the allergy. The allergic reaction will dissipate within a few days while you continue to take the oral steroids, and there is also a shot administered for more severe cases.

Over the counter I have found the Aveeno oatmeal bath pack to work ok and the Aveeno cream for external relief. With that said over the counter stuff does little to help some people as everybody reacts differently to this allergy.

After suffering from contact dermatitis for more than 20 years I have found a new treatment that works when you have a small exposure and this will also keep your reaction to the allergy from escalating into a more severe episode.

I do what "they" tell you not to do and it works great. I attack the young blister before it gets big. While "they" say don't scratch, I take 2 fingernails and squeeze the young blister creating a small wound. The wound then heals up before the blister has a chance to mature. I have found the natural healing process of the body overpowers the allergic reaction. Basically I am killing the allergic reaction before it has a chance to multiply. I have had great success with my home attack remedy for almost 10 years now. Today, I don't fear being exposed to P.I. like I used to, for now I have a way to nip it in the bud before it gets away from me.

"They" want you to buy hydrocortisone and calamine products that do very little. "They" are also in cahoots with the companies that produce these products. "They" want you to buy their cure.

So try a little fingernail squeeze the next time you see a little sign, and see if it doesn't work for you.

Edited by skyhunter

I can vouch for reaction changes over time. My reaction to a bee sting is less than when I was kid and teenager.  However I seen to be developing slight-mild season allergies that I never had before.

I have not gotten a poison ivy rash in years, but do use Technu soap within a couple hours of exposure the last few years.  So either Technu works great, or I no longer re-act.

used to be real bad as a kid. i'm talking like whole body. Then there was a period of 15 years or so where I never got it. Then i started getting it last year again, and my wife too for the first time in her life. weird...

Jewel weed works good on mosquito bites.  I got bit up picking blackberries last night on the way home, one felt like a sting, but I could clearly see the mosquito impaled in my pinky finger.

I found some jewel weed nearby.  Broke the stem open and rubbed it on a couple of the bites, especially the one that felt like a sting.  After few minutes it was only a minor irritation. The bites treated with jewel weed are fine today, the others still itch occasionally and have welts.

Next time out, try nature's remedy for some relief until you get back home.

I have heard of making a tincture from Jewel weed using alcohol or witch hazel. No idea how to make it myself.

How did you make out at the doctors office today First-light ?

The doc gave me Prednisone. 6 pills the first day and one less each day forward. Actually I feel better today (2nd day taking them) The rash is still there but not much itching or burning. Thanks for asking!

• Tecnu scrub is the best I have found to work for me. I really scrub up the spots with it 2 or 3 times a day and let dry good and then dab on a little pink calamine. Do not paste on the calamine it needs to dry out.

I have tried everything from bleach, gas, lye soap....................I have had it bad.

Edited by Fletch

The doc gave me Prednisone. 6 pills the first day and one less each day forward. Actually I feel better today (2nd day taking them) The rash is still there but not much itching or burning. Thanks for asking!

Hopefully the doctor gave you some refills..............save them for next year. Chances are you might get it again.

LOL, know someone on here, that said it didn't effect them last year and boom, caught it.

They say a persons system changes every 7 years, IDK.

That was me. Ive been in contact with it a bunch this year, and nothing. The day I got it last year, I was handling fresh cut vines, and it was hot as heck out, and I was sweating up a storm. The effects didnt last long for me, and I never got any prescriptions.

Still getting new blisters, one week later. This is getting old. 3 days left on the meds and feel better but wow it needs to stop.

If it doesn't get any better by Monday, try some of these!

Bacon makes everything better,lol

100_2173_zpsd6b9e699.jpg

• Like 1

I got a dose of it this past Tuesday, and its on hands, arms, neck, face. I see my doctor on Monday, so I will ask for more corticosteroid cream and maybe prednisone. Hydocortisone cream will help with the itching, and take a Benadryl to help you sleep if its keeping you from falling asleep at night. And wash with soap and water frequently showering to help get rid of the oil. Takes time to get rid of but you can try different things to help relieve symptoms.

post-2675-0-77003100-1375555084_thumb.jp

So we go to Home depot and buy some things. Among the purchases is a gallon of Poison Ivy killer. We are unloading the Tahoe and I here my little one saying to the Ivy vine on the fence (she is holding the killer) "your going down"! It cracked me up!

Glad to see your recovering.

Not being able to catch it has it's dissadvantages also. My misses caught it from me over the weekend. I moved a towel over on the rack, she then used the towel and tranfered it on her back. I'm ususally very careful, and any washing applience I touch goes right in soapy hot water in the washer.  She's a little peeved at me right now.