Statagy.....

growalot

Mine will be to hit a few of the"lesser stands" just to get a feel for whats out there the first week...If a real nice buck strolls with in range ...I will take the shot...but unless I'm going to get  at  least a couple of cool days  I'll be holding off on doe harvests...I just hate dealing with flies...

Here's a dilemma scenario - Lucky enough to have a great buck walk in front of your stand & you take him on opening day. Isn't it going to make the remainder of bow season sort of anticlimactic? You just know if you continue to hunt for does, you'll have big bucks tempting you everyday. Seems to be their 7th sense, knowing when you're tagged-out. Would be a pleasant dilemma to have, ehh?

• Like 1

My strategy will be to initially focus on the apples. That is a food source that will not be around indefinitely. Right now the deer are hammering the apples and I believe that will be a consistent draw when the season first opens. We do not have the agriculture that other areas have as a food magnet. Also, it doesn't look like the acorn crop is going to be all that great for us. What attraction that the few bearing oaks will be supplying (and I already have those located for later use) will be more obvious later in the season as the apples get policed up. But right now, there is no question that the wild apple crop is huge and drawing deer in from all over.

• Like 1

Here's a dilemma scenario - Lucky enough to have a great buck walk in front of your stand & you take him on opening day. Isn't it going to make the remainder of bow season sort of anticlimactic? You just know if you continue to hunt for does, you'll have big bucks tempting you everyday. Seems to be their 7th sense, knowing when you're tagged-out. Would be a pleasant dilemma to have, ehh?

Ha-ha .... there is a problem I will worry about if or when it actually happens.

• Like 1

Never worry about tagging a buck early. I never really understood why people "worry" about it. If the buck trips your trigger, it is what it is.

I'm never hunting a lesser stand. I'm always hunting the best stand (so I believe) for the time, condition, deer movement. I don't consider a rut stand a "best" stand or a stand on the edge of doe bedding a "best" stand. I've never really understood the "saving" mentality unless it is in the context of pertaining to a rut stand, but even in those cases, they aren't the best early season producers in many situations.

I know I won't plug a doe early if the temps are up, that's for sure. It's not fun to deal with if everything isn't lined up (a cool room or an empty freezer you can quarter/store them for a few days. Plus with the season starting on a Tuesday, working the next day makes matters worse. If it's a buck, I can burn a PTO day the following one as I won't need to take time off for bow here in NY.

I get one here in NY and I just go to Ohio, although this year I'm planning on sticking it out here until I tag one of the bucks I am after. Not going to bail on NY until the tag is filled.

Edited by phade

I think by "lesser" she is talking about stands that she may be less likely to see as many deer from, yet also do not burn as much woods up in terms of access in and out and the resulting scent dispersal.

An observation stand is certainly something worthwhile to pursue when called for. But honestly, if I am observing...why not do that before the season starts so you know where to be on day 1?

If it's not an observation, why hunt stands where your odds are less than where you should be because you've patterned your deer? Do the homework and take your best shot when the conditions/sign warrant right off the bat. The Oct. 1 opener is a difference maker as compared to the old mid-Oct opener. Patterns are more likely exploitable. It's never a guarantee, but If you have a lead, make your move. People under-use and under-estimate the value of our October 1 opener in the SZ.

Of course, I concur with Landtrac...enjoyment is prime.

To be honest.....and this is not ment as a brag.....but with all the  stands I have not one doesn't' have good activity at some point in the day.....but day one in my case...is the day I always mess up....it's the Oh  crap I forgot this that or the other thing....manage to kick out deer...move to much because I'm not use to sitting ..etc etc

I don't get the big boys patterned because they aren't pushed onto us yet...but after the first few days of being disturbed....they will be here big time...many years on this place has taught me much....as far as hitting food.....Apple's are rotting on the ground.....acorns are piling  up...the deer...turkey raccoons and squirrels can't keep up with all the food right now

So if  I'm going to mess up to where I have deer looking up...I'd rather it be in stand I do not tend to use as often ....I never hunt with the idea of walking into a sure thing...I enjoy surprises

Ill be hunting the best stand for the conditions. Im hoping for one stand in particular to have the right conditions within the first 3 days of the season, as I have a (kinda) target buck this year that has been using this area pretty regularly, and Id like to get in there and get him before the pressure causes him to change his ways. After the first week, Ill still be after him, but then if another nice buck comes along, I wont be passing him.

ill be hunting 3 different pieces this year... each has a target buck im after. if anyone of the 3 shows up on the opener, i have no problem taking him.  opening morning ill likley be sitting an overgrown apple orchard that is chock full of apples they are hammering. if a fatty doe shows up inside 20, she'll likely hit the deck as well

I havent killed a deer with the bow in two years. That and we are hunting new property this year makes my strategy simple. The first doe that walks in a shooting lane is going to get an arrow through the heart. If the first one through is a buck I might have to hold off unless its one of the few 8 points we have running around. Either way I'll be excited to be in a tree again.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

ill be hunting 3 different pieces this year... each has a target buck im after. if anyone of the 3 shows up on the opener, i have no problem taking him.  opening morning ill likley be sitting an overgrown apple orchard that is chock full of apples they are hammering. if a fatty doe shows up inside 20, she'll likely hit the deck as well

HAHA! just inside 20? lol Come on i thought you were good out to 40 atleast? lol JK. Must be a tight spot huh?