Interesting article on Fox News yesterday....

WNYBuckHunter

the rack on that deer looks terrible

course they kinda had a point with "It’s no different than raising cattle that’s going to go on people’s tables," though I wonder what they do with the meat their.

dont think i would want to eat a buck that had a rack like that

First we had GMO corn and soy, now they are creating GMO deer to have more trophy level antlers.

No thanks for me.  I have kids who are very sensitive to corn and soy, and the hormone-enhance milk and suspect it is the GMO crap.  Makes feeding them difficult and expensive.  I would never knowingly take one of those deer to feed my family, probably make them sick.

They should stick to more important things - wiping out CWD, preventing avian flu, etc.

The results of a dead deer are the same but the ethics and sportsman part of it are taken out, plain and simple...  We are called sportsman for a reason.  That is because in its extreme we still hunt them on the ground with the most primitive weapon allowed, the traditional bow and as sportsman we choose to let many(or some) go waiting for that perfect buck.  On the opposite end we could be in a tree stand with a rifle that can reach out to over 300+ yards looking for meat...  The same ethic of good shooting, proper shot placement, range and most importantly knowledge of our prey, apply to both aspects of the sport and those who follow that code know the extreme difference of a fence hunt compared to basically any other hunt is just not comparable...  As ethical sportsman fence hunts will never compare to the real thing and true sportsman pity those who have to pay for a trophy.  As a passionate deep woods hunter I can not fathom doing this, funny thing is many new hunters feel the same way as they start the amazing journey of hunting.  Does not matter if you are 5 miles back still hunting deep woods or in town hunting the hot spot up in a tree, both are hunting free roaming animals that are adept at surviving winters, parasites, disease, predators and hunters and that type of hunting will beat any fenced hunting trophy no matter how big the animal is!!!  Yes my friends be proud of your accomplishments and knowledge gained when hunting it might not always put a trophy on your wall but it will put a notch in your belt of experience and that is the fun part of the journey.  Another thing high fence hunters will never know...

The journey is the best part!!! 

Now if they made these hunts specifically for handicap and wounded warriors it might get more approval from hunters but they are usually for profit and out of reach for these people.  We pay for our deer with knowledge, experience and skills vs money and that is why they will never compare...  If you can't tell by now I really do not like fenced deer hunting and breeding for rack size...

I have to admit that that article is extremely embarrassing. Publishing to the world, the extent that hunters view hunting as just another technology challenge is really disturbing to me. Hunting has formed the major part of my life, and to me represents an honorable activity of heritage and tradition. Now for many hunters, it is necessary to create our trophies from test-tubes, agriculture and animal husbandry. Sure, we have all followed the lure of technology when it comes to weaponry, but this idea of creating prey is a fairly new development, and it truly crosses the line in terms of anything that I want to even indirectly be associated with. When people think of me as a life-long hunter, these are not the things that I want them remembering me for.

In my opinion Laura Caroll is right,  it IS no different than cattle ranching, it is deer ranching, not hunting. The kill is predictable and hunt preparation and "scouting" is often as simple as choosing the buck you want from an online catalog or actually pointing him out in a pen. Remember the story a few years ago about the guy who paid for a lion hunt and shot it in the cage? Some of these outfits are so far removed from hunting that they don't even deny it.  Love it or hate it, it is here to stay as long as there is a market for it. 

The article also clearly stated "most hunters find great disdain in a known outcome....and follow a code of ethics beyond reproach" the author did not lump all hunters into this group and in my opinion was attempting to point out the absurdity of the entire practice.

It's not too difficult to see how we are all tarred with the same broad-brush when non-hunters read such obscenity performed in the name of hunting. It's kind of like when the media uses the term "hunters" when they are describing acts of poaching ...... guilty by association. It drives me crazy!