6 ladder stands and a Moultrie camera stolen

nybuckboy

Sorry to hear that. They knew where they were. Have you had trespassing problems before? Single person ladder stands are light, and someone could easily take them down by themselves, and quickly. The big double stands are a different story. I hope you figure out who took them, and at least get your stuff back.

Sorry to hear it. We just had two ladder stands taken last week so I know how you feel. I think one of the problems with leaving stands up all year is that is that  during the off season you get a lot of people riding ATV's and snowmobiles.  They ride by the stands time after time with out seeing anyone and I think they figure out what an easy score it would be.

What you need to do is put out ...true or not....the word ...in a conversational way...that you have cams that send pics directly to your phone or computer...make them think twice...for you can't undue...erase or steal an already sent photo.....PS...also Check local scape yards for cut up stands...or ask them to be aware of thefts in the area...I thought scrape was done in price now though..

Edited by growalot

Complete bummer. The other thing that sucks is how disturbed the area is now. Hope you can get into some of those stand spots with a climber. My first thought was anti's, but more than likely your place was cased by scumbags. Trying to think where would a thief dispose of these type of goods - they have to know eyes will be on craigslist etc., would scrap yards report suspicious material, I doubt it. Were not talking about small items so it's not like they could stash the goods in a sock drawer, whats left barn, shed, someone else's land. You may want to go look for them yourself but think twice before what happened makes you do something sinister. 

Any chance other cams may have snapped any of that traffic? Hope theres some justice, recovery or closer to this at some point.

There has been a lot if stolen stands lately around me also 5 within this past month that I have heard. I think people are doing this to get other hunters out of the spot they want. I had a nice ground blind taken from me recently in my private property upstate in Sullivan county as well as a ladder stand and a old trail cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Edited by apoallo

When our camp got robbed we put out the word in the local bars that we are offering a reward.  It wasn't a week that the scum was selling our stuff for Meth.  He is now sitting in jail.

I would also put an ad in Craigslist asking folks to check any treestands bought for your name.

Hope you get your stands back.

That is a huge loss.  May be you can pre-fabricate sections for a permanent stand and get it in place over the weekend to reduce the activity out there.  If i lived closer, I would lend a hand in building the replacements in exchange for a few hours of hunting time.  Hunting solo gets boring after awhile - miss the days of hunting with family and close friends from high school.

When my grandparents had the farm, we occasionally had trespassers during hunting season.  That gets scary during deer gun season (flat lands only 12ft elevation variance), not knowing how "safe" they are.  After 3-4 instances of uninvited persons hunting on the family property, we started using stands to keep above the line of fire.  Our "portable" 70 + lbs home-made steel stands were put out occasionally just before sunset of the day before opening day and we hauled them out when done for day.  The rest of the season we set them up in the dark when we went out to hunt - location varied by what field we spotted the deer  feeding in last.  Since we knew we had instances of trespassers that were never caught, we avoided tempting fate with our stands.  It was more work every hunting trip, but we knew we had a stand to sit in. 

The plus side to doing it this way was we could leave out a 4 ft section of ladder to be lower on windy days or borrow a section from stand that was idle and get up 4 ft higher. We did not have to go out to inspect the stand before season, we just pulled it out of the barn, checked the wooden seat and foot rest, and the lines. Then do a test set up.  We then would do a paint touch-up if necessary.

The goose field blind had to be checked before every use as someone once baited the field (baiting geese was illegal where we at lived at the time).  The blind was unlikely to be stolen due to the sheer weight.  It was on 4x4 runners with a floor made of 2X6's and sat up to 5 people.  There may have been a lock on the door of it to keep it from being "borrowed" onsite.  Its been in storage for the past 20 years.

My dad has introduced deer hunting to friend with a farm and they are using 2 man permanent elevated blinds They are difficult to see from the road until all the leaves drop.  They decided that since they are in their 60's, carrying stands is not for them any more.  You can't drive directly to those permanent stands without a 4X4 or a large tractor.  The field edge road has several locations that you can easily get stuck in - a theft deterrent.

Seriously ...... I have no idea of the cost of that kind of technology, but what a great idea. Of course it would have to be attached somewhere where you would have to destroy the item to disable the tracking device. Imagine the money that could be made if you found a cheap way to produce such a thing.

You watch .... some day somebody will take your idea and get stinking rich on it.

. Could use LoJack, already made just not cheap...