6 ladder stands and a Moultrie camera stolen

nybuckboy

Yep, 6 ladder stands and a Moultrie camera stolen. They were all there as of last Wednesday night Sept 18th. All were chained and padlocked and had my last name and cell phone number inscribed with a dremel burr. A couple of these stands have been up 5 and 6 years. They were all along the field edge along the cornfield. It looks like a well planned heist. Will report to State Police and Sheriff tomorrow. Talked with DEC tonight. Land is Posted well too. Probably done at night where the corn could hide any light. makes me wonder if it's for scrap.

It's sad to see scum like that ruining the sport. Too bad we can't all respect the sport and other peoples property. One can only hope they put them up in their woods, as I suspect they are locals to you and a neighbor of theirs wonders on their land to find your name inscribed on the stand. Sorry about the bad luck.

Id have to think its someone u know or possibly your neighbors. If I were looking for stands id go to places id been where I knew stands were. It would be dumb to just start hitting woodlots.

I'd definitely say someone who is from the area as they obviously knew where the stands were from driving past or venturing the woods (depending where the field is located)

I would be looking close buy at anyone with four wheelers. To move six all so fast means they likely cut the chains, tipped them over and dragged them off intact with the sections secured together. Even though they are portable, anyone familiar with using these types of stands can tell you they are not light. To hustle six out quickly so no to get caught would be a very busy evening, likely the work of a couple of people, with four wheelers, and nearby by those familiar and comfortable with the area. I agree with the comment about them being "scummy". Fitting description for people who would do such a thing. Check with the local scrap yards they might very well tell you if your stuff ended up there, but my guess is they are tossed in a big heap in some ravine by the culprits who took exception to where you were hunting. Good luck, I hope you get your property back and justice .

Bummer, I feel your pain!!  Someone knew the stand were there. People SUCK!! This was definatly planned. I'm sure you are pissed, all your stands taken this close to the season. If you were close to me (western NY) and wanted to use them, I  have a couple of hang on stands I'm not using this year, I would be willing to lend them if it helps you get back on tract. (you will of course put at least 2 chains and locks on them)LOL They probably took the trail camera because it captured them in the act.

Yea someone knew a bit to much about where your stuff is.Have you had people on cam before?Any new landowners in the area that you know of?I would go to all the neighboring properties and let them know what happened....and also to have a quick look around to see if you can see one of your stands.

Yep, 6 ladder stands and a Moultrie camera stolen. They were all there as of last Wednesday night Sept 18th. All were chained and padlocked and had my last name and cell phone number inscribed with a dremel burr. A couple of these stands have been up 5 and 6 years. They were all along the field edge along the cornfield. It looks like a well planned heist. Will report to State Police and Sheriff tomorrow. Talked with DEC tonight. Land is Posted well too. Probably done at night where the corn could hide any light. makes me wonder if it's for scrap.

So what's the tally of cash value taken. These guys have to be caught. Nothing is safe in the woods anymore.

wow id be so freakin made. I always wanted to invent something similar to onstar where u can pull up the exact location of the garage there sitting in with a couple of looser laughing about their heist. Maybe I should invent that!!

Seriously ...... I have no idea of the cost of that kind of technology, but what a great idea. Of course it would have to be attached somewhere where you would have to destroy the item to disable the tracking device. Imagine the money that could be made if you found a cheap way to produce such a thing.

You watch .... some day somebody will take your idea and get stinking rich on it.

Sorry to hear....they timed it right with a full moon...probably no lights needed if they where well familiar with locations...could have even glow tacked them without you noticing...anyone new to the area? Any jealous horn hunters you know?...Is there insurance to cover theft off the property?...Best of luck hope they find the culprits....Hope you get a doozy of a buck this year...and let everyone in the area know it....best revenge ;) 

I can totally relate to what has happen to you. The crimianl action have gotten so bad here, I refuse to install any more tempory stands or cameras, free for the taking. When a crock will saw though 3/8" case hardened old log chain, they want the stand pretty bad. Even several parts of the hack saw blades laid under, where the stand once stood. Yep, they brought extra blades. And they even took the dam chains and all the accesories. Permenants for me from now on.

And your hands are tied as far as "fixing" a deterant on your own property, as far as liability goes. These punks know it too!

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Don't forget the farm hands.

I never caught the people who stole from me, but I and other suspected some farm hands were to blame, based on timing.

Not saying farm hands are bad...there's always a bad apple in the bunch. They may have known about those stands way back and got around to getting them with the corn still high.

I agree with the previous folks who mentioned "jealousy". This close to season, it's likely someone was hoping to sabotage your hunting.

Since you're planning on going with permanent stands, I'm guessing that you either own the land or are a relative to the owner. Word to the wise on any stands that might be still up and future stands, make sure you check them over real good because someone who would steal from you probably wouldn't think twice about removing a couple bolts.

Setting your ladder stand legs in a footer of Kwikrete would be a good idea. A piece of rebar welded to the bottom of the legs in sort of a "T" will ensure that they won't just pull it out.