stealing property out from under you?

wheelieman

call me old fashion, but this would leed to a serious a** beatin, you don't mess with your friends wife, or there hunting ground

sounds like some behind the woodshed justice is needed

Or getting a "serious a** beating".

Toughest guys in the world get beat thinking it will never happen.

Jail tends to cut into hunting time and can limit the choice of weapons for hunting.

I hunt a place on long island for geese took a friend there three years ago the following season he went to the land owner and offered him $1,500 to hunt geese land owner threw him off the land and asked me to never allow him to hunt I told the owner I no longer talk to this person  trying to get my hunting place brock up a friend ship of 15 years

papabear   

With the "monster buck" craze I see leases popping up more and more. Taxes keep going up and get nothing for them. Hunting one day will be a thing of the wealthy as the average Joe won't be able to afford land of their own or lease any. They will become disenchanted with public land as more and more hunters are forced there. Though the old farmer who's land you hunt and help out on let's you hunt for free , his kids most likely will not knowing you and seeing a financial gain lease it or sell as they don't live and work on athe farm. This is becoming a "War of attrition" and its happening right now.....

You should have a sit down with the farmer and try to get a verbal agreement that if he is thinking about leasing the property, you would like first dibs on it.

I hunted a piece of property for thirty years. One day, out of the blue the farmer tells us that we couldn't hunt it anymore because he leased it to a group of guys. Every one of those guys knew we hunted it but they went behind our backs and leased it out from under us anyway.  The farmer, who we knew and helped, for all those years,  never called any of us to give us first shot at it.

When it comes to getting access to good hunting land,  some people will turn full blown A-Hole in a flash.

• Like 1

So sad that you have your own property and still have your stuff stolen. Hope they get caught. Im old school when you catch em "hang em it will teach them a lesson."

This is the reason we all get a bad name and hunting land is soo scarce.

No repect for you, your property, = lack of places to hunt for repectable people.

I’ve had a number of farms in in Putnam and Duchess counties that I used to hunt get leased to clubs / individuals. Hence, I’m locked out.  I can’t blame the farmer.  Farming is a business. The farmer needs to pay his taxes (in this part of the state $30K+ for 200 ac) , feed / dress his kids and in general make a living.  I also don’t blame the club or rich hunter…. it’s called capitalism.    The farmer has a product (in this case land) and the highest bidder got access to it. 

But the above said, getting access to land in southern NY is getting harder and harder each year.  But there is always the pumpkin patch (state land)

He is still refusing the money from us, My sister in law works for his wife and i gave her the check to give him today, She said he doesnt want it and he ripped it up, 

But then said  he will see us sunday morning to do his brakes on his truck, 

Nobody can blame an owner for taking lease money. But, when they don't want it, and instead value the relationship, that's just a great all-around experience.

Good to see that's the case here and that the brakes are getting done. What I would do, is take the $1,500 and sock it away each year. He could die tomorrow and you'd be out.

• Like 1

He is still refusing the money from us, My sister in law works for his wife and i gave her the check to give him today, She said he doesnt want it and he ripped it up, 

But then said  he will see us sunday morning to do his brakes on his truck, 

Just let him know that you know about the other guys wanting to lease it and if he is considering it, you will lease it. Maybe he needs the money but is embarrassed to take it from you. Or maybe he doesn't care about the money and you're all set. Either way let him know.

• Like 1

Just let him know that you know about the other guys wanting to lease it and if he is considering it, you will lease it. Maybe he needs the money but is embarrassed to take it from you. Or maybe he doesn't care about the money and you're all set. Either way let him know.

he might also just be a nice guy who doesn't care or understand why its  big deal who hunts his land.  He might be an old timer that will let anyone that ask and is respectful hunt his land.  maybe, he doesn't want to feel obilagated to only let you hunt it.  I'm sure folks in town know him and maybe he wants to remain friends with others besides you

One thing I think people are over looking is when you take money to let someone hunt on your land, you are no longer covered by NY Dec laws and are liable for anyone that is injured or killed on your property. If you do not take a payment then you are protect by the Dec Law

What do you think those brake repairs represent?

It's a slippery slope...but a case could easily be made throwing hay and repairing brakes...

While it sucks, I'm not sure they are "stealing anything out from under you". Capitalism works in a way that, unless someone has a better relationship, trust etc. The good or service will go to the highest bidder. It's why i'm such a big advocate for trying to own land if you can. No matter what, that land is yours. If your neighbor moves or his daughter marries a hunter you lose your rights just like that.

However, I'll agree that if my friends knew I leased some primo land and tried to get it from me. We would no longer be friends. But if I was trying to get rights from an owner and there was another hunter already there, I would not feel bad about offering more money to lease, given that the current leaser has a chance to outbid again. Which sounds like, in your case it's nice the owner is at least letting you know what's going on before he just boots you without a chance to counter.

Edited by Belo

While it sucks, I'm not sure they are "stealing anything out from under you". Capitalism works in a way that, unless someone has a better relationship, trust etc. The good or service will go to the highest bidder. It's why i'm such a big advocate for trying to own land if you can. No matter what, that land is yours. If your neighbor moves or his daughter marries a hunter you lose your rights just like that.

However, I'll agree that if my friends knew I leased some primo land and tried to get it from me. We would no longer be friends. But if I was trying to get rights from an owner and there was another hunter already there, I would not feel bad about offering more money to lease, given that the current leaser has a chance to outbid again. Which sounds like, in your case it's nice the owner is at least letting you know what's going on before he just boots you without a chance to counter.

Double standard much?

I guess the part of it being a friend trying to get property from me because he knows about the deer I've shot there and seen the pictures off my trail cams, versus me going in blind to a property trying to get permission with no connect to current hunter escaped you.

That wasn't clear. You said another hunter, which indicates knowledge of said hunter.

so i just got back from talking with the farmer he still refuses to take money but i am fixing his brakes and helping with the fence repair later on today,  Also found out who offered him the most money and the guy is an outfitter, But he still isnt gonna take him up on it, he found out that the guy wanted to bring random strangers out and let them hunt, And the the landowner said to me " its not right that this guy wants to make a killing off of me and do it with people i dont even know"  He then said that he likes the way my brother and i handle his property and thats just not going to change, so load off of my mind but ive already bought the guy a new welder seeing as his shit the bed and ill be bringing it to him later on, 

• Like 2

happened to my family years back before I was able to hunt.  Had a nice farm in Eaton somewhere they had permission to hunt, they took a buddy there and the following year it was posted by him and he got the farmer to allow only him to hunt it.  He wouldn't even let my family hunt there even though they were the ones took the stroker to the property in the first place being good hunting buddies.  Needless to say they don't talk anymore. 

I lost a best friend for similar reasons. My father hunted this property with his dad when he was 15 and they became close friends with the landowner. Fast forward a bunch of years and my father started bringing me to hunt on this property. I became close with the owner almost like a granfather to me and things were great. We had the run of the property and we were allowed to use the house. I eventually asked the owner if I could bring a friend in to hunt and he said yes. We all hunted there for years. My friend was accepted as one of the gang and it was great. I later moved to NC but still made the trip up to hunt every year. Unfortunately the landowner died and his Son took over the property. Come to find out my "best friend" became buddy buddy with him and now only he's allowed to hunt there. My father and I have done a lot of work to that house my friend never did a thing. But I guess that doesn't matter because he has the golden pass and we are on the outside looking in. Obviously I don't talk to my friend anymore.

I had something similar happen last year.  There were about 6 of us who had/have permission to hunt a local farm.  This farmer hates deer, period.  We'd been doing a

decent job of controlling them while trying to manage the herd at the same time.

Last year he gave some other guys permission to hunt and they came in and setup blinds right where we'd been hunting for years.  We told them that they were encroaching and they couldn't of cared less.   I spoke with the land owner and he didn't really care either, he just wants the deer gone.  So, I didn't go out last year.  I went for a walk recently and see that they've setup their blinds again so I guess I'm toast for this year as well.

I've tried finding other land to hunt but even though everyone complains about the deer, they won't give permission to hunt.  I'll keep trying but it's very frustrating to loose a nice area to guys who just don't give a cr*p about anything or anyone other than themselves.

Sorry for the rant.

Wow! that is a lot of horror stories. I'm beginning to see why guys don't invite others to hunt with them on private land that they have cooked up permission on. Invite a buddy and then watch him slit your throat. What he heck makes people act like that? Apparently there's no honor among thieves and hunting buddies....lol.