Coffee while hunting?

IronBucks

Was wondering what your opinions are on drinking coffee while hunting.  I usually hunt up in the air but I lost my camp last year and this is the first time in 15+ years I will be hunting from the ground.  I've got permission to hunt on a corn farm but the owner is skittish about tree stands.  I am really concerned about scent control...but I also want to stay awake out there!

i've read a bunch of articles claiming the deer will smell the coffee on you even if you drank it before you went out. I don't doubt it's true, but I can't live without some caffeine. I do sometimes drink an energy drink because it's a little easier and quicker. But I put the drink in a thermos. Don't want to "pop the top" in the woods.

Hunting's funny. I know smokers who kill big deer...

There's always the hype of "curiosity scents" to consider too.  Some people claim that early season, before the deer have been running for their lives, unfamiliar scents (not human scent though) will actually attract deer.  I've never seen it in action but I think the only way I would have an unenjoyable day in the woods would be if I didn't have coffee in the morning and suffered one of my crippling withdrawal headaches so it's a moot point for me.  

Edited by Wildcats160

You wan't something warm. Hot apple juice or cider ( from the farm ) in a thurmos. That and a PJ samwich will drive them nuts. I had a 6 pointer come running right to me from the direction the wind was blowing,too bad the rifle was on the ground and both hands were full.

• Like 3

Ha!  Thanks for the tips.  I was more worried about the headache than staying awake as well...

No to climbers as well.  I just found out we lost our camp a few weeks ago and after a LONG door to door campaign, this was the first person who let me on the land so I didn't want to press my luck when he said no stands.  This is a big adjustment for me.  

I am still looking for additional properties but I am thankful to have a place to hunt at all! 

Ha!  Thanks for the tips.  I was more worried about the headache than staying awake as well...

No to climbers as well.  I just found out we lost our camp a few weeks ago and after a LONG door to door campaign, this was the first person who let me on the land so I didn't want to press my luck when he said no stands.  This is a big adjustment for me.  

I am still looking for additional properties but I am thankful to have a place to hunt at all! 

get in there a build yourself a nice ground blind.........

Cool topic!

I'm a bow hunting nut and I also happen to be a coffee nut as well!!!  The two are delicacies in my book.  Both of them intermingled on a crisp, clear, November morning is pure Utopia!!! 

But with that said..............I've killed my share of Deer afield with gun and the bow.  I'm 32 and with my experience I have not had a Deer react negatively to coffee (that I know).  However, what I don't enjoy is having to take a PI$$ from or near the stand (hunt tree stands only).  Not only is a sometimes difficult to unzip clothing, it can be noisy and cold plus the amount of urine to boot!!!  This is a bigger scent concern in my book!!!

I won't give up my coffee and I'll keep hunting from tree stands.  Get out as often as possible, you will see and be successful in the field.  In my opinion, when you are hunting small parcels of property you cannot predict any given day.  ATV's, People walking, neighbors grandchildren running around.  Lots of different scents and smells.  It has to do with hours put on stand!

Thanks and good luck to you all.....  Headed to camp Sunday morning for my first day yet....

Mike.

I am really concerned about scent control...but I also want to stay awake out there!

If you're concerned about the deer smelling the coffee, you could add a little doe urine to the coffee! Might bring 'em in?? If you try it, you may as well rinse your mouth out with doe urine too, to get rid of that coffee breath too!  :biggrin:

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Haha 1

When gun hunting, especially opening days, I'll typically have the following: egg salad sammies, coffee, water bottle, snack of some sort and (not anymore since I quit smoking) a handful of cigars.  If I have to (like clockwork) use the "facilities", I don't generally go to far when I hit the ground.

You'd think I'd NEVER kill a deer, wouldn't you? :good:

• Like 1

This is a true story:

Back in my college years - Buffalo State I had class until 4.  My buddy called me and said, "hey you free for an evening hunt?  Headed to my Uncles and you are welcome to come out with me!!!"  I We're talking about archery hunting, heck yea I said!!!   Unfortunately, I tell him I can't get to his house until 5ish, I was 50 mintues from his Uncle's property not to mention  we hung stands literally 5-10 days earlier.   Fast Forward 8 hours later I meet him and we head out.  Do to fading daylight I don't have time to remove hair gel, deodorant, don't remember if I had cologne on (these were my vane days) but probably did.  Either way, changed clothes grab bow we headed our separate ways.  On stand 15 minutes I see Momma and baby 100 yrds out,  I hit fawn bleat every couple of minutes and get them within 40-50 yards before they disappear into brush.  Not 5 minutes later I hear twig break to left, I see a big bodied buck on full trot approaching at 50 yards.  I didn't have time to focus on deer but I did notice it only had a rack on 1 side of his head.  He gets within 20 yards, I put an arrow over his belly, he then picks up speed as I knock another arrow and I put one over his back, he stops in his track and looks in my direction, as i'm knocking the third arrow he starts a full run I release arrow at 40 yards and hit him in rear leg (missing the femoral artery) he bolts crashing into everything until he finally makes it out of sight.  I get my buddy, we find hair and little blood.  He calms me down and convinces me not to go looking for the deer until tomorrow morning.  It POURS ALL NIGHT, we get my Dad and head out in the morning, we can't find any blood and after 15 minutes we begin butterfly patterns, I walked up on the deer in less then 150 yards.  To this day I credit my buddy for recovering this deer.  The best part of the story when I grabbed the one side of the rack but buddy yelled look at his other side, he had a 3 inch brow tine and a drop tine that was growing along side his eye.  He ended up being a 5 point...!!!  It's not big but I got a free mount from my local taxidermist.  It's a cool rack and an even better story.  This was when I was a young, dumb, immature hunter, I did everything wrong from scent control to 2 missed shots and 1 incredibly irresponsible shot and got lucky.  I don't know if its better to be lucky than good or if its all about getting out there!!!  Sorry the post is so long, I get excited talking about it, that was 13 years ago.... 

• Like 2

the coffee won't make a difference in my opinion but this is coming from a smoker who has had deer walk right to him burning a cig...... i think scent control is more "important" these days because people buy into. i believe hunting the wind can do far more than any product you can buy. 

• Like 1