first deer with my bow

BUCKANDAQUARTER

So on Saturday evening I headed out with my new summit to try it out. i went where i haven't gone in years due to the wind blowing my scent from the truck to the woods. On the walk out coming to a long hay field I met up with a neighbor who has hunted there for years, i met him 13 years ago in the exact spot. Anyway we got done talking and I took 10 steps and saw a bruiser coming out of a thicket with another hayfield to the left of it and dense pines on the other side with manicured walking roads throughout. The thicket is about the size of a football field at best. I let him pass, never seeing horns, just probably the biggest chest and neck i have ever seen on a in the wild, bigger than my monster 8 i had gotten up there. I went back and checked a day or to later and there was 4 or 5 scrapes in that thicket. i didn't place my stand there and i let it cool of until Monday morning, saw nothing. tonight i almost didn't go out because my back was killing me but made it out anyway at 3:30. the wind was perfect and i found a nice tree with several trunks and went up in my climber. an hour later i saw the biggest coyote i had ever seen 30 yards to my right in the field. i "maaah'd" him and drew back of course i hit a branch missed him. half our later i hear a distant grunt sounded like it came from towards the long field. i figured it was a hunter... fast forward an hour and i see a tail in the bushes, then i see horn, i thought he was a 6 (which where i hunt people shoot spikes and 4's any day, i personally have a 3 on one side minimum). watched him come into 35 yards then after holding back on him for 2 minutes he cleared a bush and i corked him good. 40 yards later crash, he was down. got down the tree stand and first went into the field where i shot at the coyote, no blood, hair, arrow. I looked down 200yards to the field where my buck came from and there was a brute out with 4 does walking the other way. i think he challenged that 8 pointer i got and he had no part of it and came to me instead. Anyway I got a buddy and we went and found him down 40 yards from where i shot him and to my surprise he was an 8. No monster but my first archery deer. fantastic hunt. my ramble is over.

• Like 6

thanks guys! He was a small 8, guessing only a 1.5 years old, I let them go to 2.5 but, and 8 is an 8, and around here there have been guys who have hunted 20 years and haven't gotten one... because guys don't hesitate to shoot spikes (to each there own, meat is meat), I was on the fence but he fit my criteria. He could have easily fit inside the monster out in the field. Still excited for my first bow kill, would have been sweet with that coyote I missed draped across it!!

post-3715-0-36664800-1381418433_thumb.jp

post-3715-0-53415800-1381419880_thumb.jp

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER
  • Like 4

thanks fellas, just after seeing all these beautiful western NY bucks and LI monsters I just wanted to let people know it isn't like that in my neck of the woods! I am thrilled! I gotta say I am a little bummed that I have to pass up bucks on my big doe quest. of course I have gone years without seeing bucks on that land.