Buying property

magnumhunt

Hey guys, have a couple of questions in buying property with a small cabin upstate NY.  Ok so the cabin is basically small and a ''seasonal cabin''. I would use it for hunting and weekend get away and stay there in the summer. The cabin does not have any electricity or plumbing, only a sprinkler? Not sure what they meant by that. Does anyone know how much it would cost for electricity? My cousin is an electrician so the little stuff in the cabin im not worried. I called up NYSEG and they told me I need an engineer, but i dont want to buy the property and not being able to have electricity. I dont want to deal with generators, I know of other homes in the area that have power. Also I would like to be able to put my car insurance to save couple bucks. So just a ballpark number to add electricity.

It depends how close the power access is from the cabin. It can cost $2000-$10,000 depending on if they have to run the line a long ways. If your buddy is an electrician I am sure he can hook you up. You are going to need a electric box and then have everything run into the cabin.

We got lucky with our place as it has a dug well and pump and electricity but it does not have a septic tank which we will most likely get in the future. We also have a pole that was put in with a light source that we pay extra for for a little more security and to be able to see outside at night its a big help. I think our set up cost closer to $10,000 because they had to put in a light pole and run the line from the nearest power lines.

Wow guys thanks for quick response, Now my cousin the electricain I am not worried about inside the house, more worried about the power from lets say the road to the house. Thats done by the eletric provider right? So 10k from road to house?

Jeremy- not sure what you mean, is it paved? If thats what you mean Im 100% sure it is. But definelty not a busy road.

Be VERY careful!  The company in the area our property told us it'd be around 9,000 when I asked them before buying the property. That magically went to about 25,000 when I called them to actually do it.  They've got so many "what ifs"  it's rediculous.   $$$ x number of feet, then how far back from the road?  Oh, it's over xyz feet so it has to be buried (to code and inspected) and you need your own transformer.   Oh, then there's the connect fee that you have to pay to the guy down the road so you can connect to that pole.

Be VERY careful.

• Like 1

You can't ballpark throw a number for this.....

You can schedual an on site meeting with a utility company rep that handles this. I suggest you do so.

Too many variables for even a cost per foot yet without enough information (I'm in the building business and organized more than a few service installations).

• Like 1

You can't ballpark throw a number for this.....

You can schedual an on site meeting with a utility company rep that handles this. I suggest you do so.

Too many variables for even a cost per foot yet without enough information (I'm in the building business and organized more than a few service installations).

I did that, still went from a 9G estimate to 25-30k when the time actually came -  Be VERY careful!  Speaking from experience, personally I'd buy something that already had electricity if I could do it over again.  We eventually just said screw it and sold.

I did that, still went from a 9G estimate to 25-30k when the time actually came -  Be VERY careful!  Speaking from experience, personally I'd buy something that already had electricity if I could do it over again.  We eventually just said screw it and sold.

Sorry to hear that.....

Just worked out a new service with the house and a burial replacement for my shop with the local and by NYS regs they gave a specific plan. Sitting on my desk for springtime. Took us a few hours to work out meter placement; routing, and feed options; saved me a transformer installation as I'm just over the threshold.

If someone else ran the poles, not the utility; they can charge for a hook-up.

Been down this road before and my local utility is easy to work with; but I know enough guys in the business.YMMV

• Like 1

In my experience it is far easier to buy something with electric than to add it. I would not want to be on a seasonal road either. In fact I am currently looking hard as I just sold my last camp and after making many mistakes like seasonal water, it really was a big deal. I am only interested in all utilities present and year round access. If your ins company does check it will be hard to explain if there is no CO or plumbing. They checked on me but the cabin had a CO so they couldn't mess with me but they did check. Trust me after you spend thousands maybe all your disposable cash you don't want to find any surprises. PM me if you want more horror stories lol

Good luck. Not trying to scare you but I wish someone had put me wise before I forked over my money. I would have been more choosy.

• Like 1

If there is a pole roadside.

Underground...It is your responsibility to run the cable to the pole leaving enough extra for them to connect to the tranformer at top of pole...

Overhead....they usually will run from the pole to your mast..as long as its within a certain distance( I forget the distance)

Either way it is your responsibility to install the entrance panel/meter channel,mast(if doing overhead)and get it all inspected by an electrical inspector before they will hook to it.

$2000. Would easily cover material costs more like a 1000.

Going overhead is usually the cheaper route.

Things start getting expensive if you have to rent and or hire equipment to start digging ditches of any length..or if the power company has to set more poles.

Call the power company to come and do a site inspection or to spot the meter.

In my experience it is far easier to buy something with electric than to add it. I would not want to be on a seasonal road either. In fact I am currently looking hard as I just sold my last camp and after making many mistakes like seasonal water, it really was a big deal. I am only interested in all utilities present and year round access. If your ins company does check it will be hard to explain if there is no CO or plumbing. They checked on me but the cabin had a CO so they couldn't mess with me but they did check. Trust me after you spend thousands maybe all your disposable cash you don't want to find any surprises. PM me if you want more horror stories lol

Good luck. Not trying to scare you but I wish someone had put me wise before I forked over my money. I would have been more choosy.

Lots of wisdom in this post.

I'm turning a 3 season to a 4 up north right now for a buddy who lives down my way that he just bought.

Closed out a bunch of permits and going forward on new. So he has a leg up on a CO established place and a new service.

Finished freeze free water last week.......new window framing and a whole new cathedral cieling frame/collar ties coming up next. LOL

Ohh man. See I had gut feeling there was more into it. Spending like 6-9k I wouldnt mind. I am trying to take everything into consideration. And obviously have extra money for "just incase". Horror stories are good to hear but sucks to hear them same time.

On a side note, is it possible to put car insurance on property that doesnt have Plumbing and Electricity?

• Like 1

My cabin doesn't have electricity. We've had it now for 14 years. Honestly, I don't miss it or feel I need it. Propane lights, stove, and refrig (even have a propane oven, but have never used it), that just runs off of regular grill sized propane tanks. I heat with a woodstove. I have a deep cycle battery and inverter, for what little juice I need (small TV, charge cell phones, etc...). Been toying with the idea with getting a small solar panel to keep the deep cycle battery charged, but for what little I use it, I only take it home 1-2x/yr to charge it anyway, so it's no inconvenience.

Im going to check everything over see if electricity is worth it.

By insurance, was thinking if I made it my residency so i can get cheaper rate for cars.

First things first .... after you've bought the property rent a Post Office Box !  Have the Tax bill sent there , change your drivers license to the PO Box ( DMV will do that ! ) . Then you will be " Garaging your Car " at that location ! Remember there is no such thing as Part Time Taxes ! 

Edited by GreeneHunter
  • Like 1

What GreeneHunter said.  It'll work so long as your insurance company doesn't start snooping around.  It's likely that they won't unless you start having lots of tickets and/or accidents in NYC.  That said, my insurance company did follow up with me on a ticket I got downstate just to make sure it was me, so don't be surprised if they do check.

• Like 1