Pin Placement

IronBucks

After reading another thread, I was curious how most people have their pins set up.  I am new to the bow and I have mine set up at 10, 20, and 30.  I don't have anything set up beyond that because, frankly, I am not confident in a 30+ yard shot just yet and wouldn't take one.  This year I am stuck hunting on the ground, but I'd also be curious to see how many people have a "treestand pin" set up.  

I would say you have to use what works for you and practice as much as possible. My bow is fairly fast so I use my top pin   from zero to 20 yards.  But shooting out of a tree at 10 yards, I know I need to aim a bit lower.  I hunted for years with just one pin and kept all my shots under 20 yards. Kept it simple and had fun.

One of the main things you want to do is practice with your broad heads as they may not fly the same as your field points.

Good luck this year!

I have one pin but my sight is adjustable with graduations in 10 yard incriments out to 60 yards. Depending on the treestand I am in, I hunt mostly thick cover I keep it set at 20 yards. If the perfect shot is presented at a longer range and I have a calm target and can range it I slide the rest up to the yardage and make the shot. Sunday night I had a feeding doe walk out in the open field and stopped in the shooting lane. ranged fer at 46 yards. adjusted the sight and made the shot. adjustment is easy and just takes a finger to slide it.

Thanks for the feedback.  How exactly do I determine if I have a "fast bow"? 

I have a 29.5 inch draw and my bow is set a 65 lbs.  It is a 2012 PSE Stinger.  I shoot Easton Axis n-fused carbon 340's (I'll take other recommendations).  I am using the chisel tip rage 2 broadheads. 

Thanks for the feedback. How exactly do I determine if I have a "fast bow"?

I have a 29.5 inch draw and my bow is set a 65 lbs. It is a 2012 PSE Stinger. I shoot Easton Axis n-fused carbon 340's (I'll take other recommendations). I am using the chisel tip rage 2 broadheads.

Your bow is pretty fast. They are just alluding to the fact that their bows do not drop much from 10-20 yards. I know mine is only like 2 inches so I only have a 20,30,40 yard pin. If it's at 10 yards I use the 20 yard pin and hold just a tad low, almost dead on.

20,30,40, I usually only practice at 40 plus yards , but I shoot daily , 300 plus  days a year.  If I shoot at lesser yardages ,I destroy arrows ,unless I shoot around a target to keep the arrows seperated.  I've taken deer regularly at 46 to 52 yards , but I practice alot , shoot 3D through summer and usually shoot a winter league. It all comes down to confidence in your abilities.

for me. 50/60 are for target shooting ath this time. Maybe if I practiced those shots alot and had the perfect conditions to make a shot at those distances, I would consider it. This year though, I didnt practice as much as I would have liked and am limiting myself to 40 yards or less.

I'm with Papist on this one.  I use 1 sight, in at 25 yards, and I'll take 5 shots at the target from 15,20,25,30,35 to get use to adjusting for distance.  At 15 yards, I have to aim 2" lower and 35 about 3" higher.  It's great to shoot from 40,45, and 50, but only for practice.  Some day, maybe after a little more practice and confidence, I'd change to a 3 sight, but I'm comfortable now.  Let's get the first deer, at a comfortable range, then figure logistics later.

I know this part of the post has been beat to death... "how many pins"

I use 1 pin set at 25 and hold top of back at 35. I don't shoot any farther unless it was standing still in the open and I could hold high otherwise no dice.

As stated, too many pins are in the way and can cause confusion at the critical moment so choose to keep it simple.

ive got 20 30 40 50 n 60 ...though when season rolls around i take the 50 and 60 off so i only have three pins to worry about.. shooting 70 lbs the first pin is dead on up to 20 which is most of your shots so only having to worry about the top pin most of the time takes alot of confusion out in the heat of the moment... i comfortably shoot around 30 on live game ,but if the circumstances are right and the deer is as calm as can be i'll take that 40 all day long granted they are relaxed and stationary without having to "baaa" to stop them...