URGENT!!!!!! I NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE. BUCK Stuck with ARROW!

cd32505n

I am not a hunter but I figured this would be the best place to find out info. 

Yesterday morning I was driving down my driveway and I saw a Young buck who I watched grow from a baby. It had an Arrow stuck in its back. It looked like someone shot straight up in the air and dropped straight down on him. Where I live hunting is not allowed so this was a shock to me. I am all for hunting (i am a chef) however I do not appreciate people shooting animals in locations that are not allowed (especially my house).

My Questions:

Will this buck live?

Who do I call to help this buck if he will suffer from this arrow or infection?

Can I report this and to who?

PS: I live in Port Jefferson NY on Long island.

Please help me guys. No only is this dangerous for my family because some idiot is shooting arrows (doesnt even look like a hunting arrow) but its not right. There are plenty of locations to hunt. Shooting a buck that is 10 feet in front of you on a lawn.....There is no sportsmanship in that and I am pissed.

Thank you anyone with advice.

Edited by cd32505n

Interesting post for sure. I live on LI and yes there are deer in PJ. Well if you not against hunting call the DEC and let them handle it in the correct manner. As for the deer surviving who knows, it sure didn't hit any vitals. Interesting you came here in the first place. Call the DEC if this thread is really true and get it done. Honestly I hope the animal has died from its injury and is off in the woods some place.

Deer are very tough and resilient animals but unfortunately there isn't much you can do.  If it makes you feel any better, there are a lot less casualties with and arrow than a bullet.  The arrow may work its way out when it hits branches and such and the wound should heal.   Sorry if I couldn't be more positive in my assessment here but other may be able to offer more.    

Interesting post for sure. I live on LI and yes there are deer in PJ. Well if you not against hunting call the DEC and let them handle it in the correct manner. As for the deer surviving who knows, it sure didn't hit any vitals. Interesting you came here in the first place. Call the DEC if this thread is really true and get it done. Honestly I hope the animal has died from its injury and is off in the woods some place.

+1.   

This thread is true. I'm devastated honestly. I watched this deer grow up. I know I came to a hunting forum but I figured most people here respect what they hunt. This is wrong and there is no sportsmanship in this. 

What do you think the DEC would do? Basically put it out of its misery? The deer looked fine due to the fact the arrow hit him in its top back and like you said no vitals. I just do not want to see it suffer from an infection. 

Yes someone who doesn't know the laws and should be fined. Call the DEC. If the deer looks fine hopefully that arrow will break off.

At least it's not near his vitals which is a good thing.  The DEC will at least keep the arrow for evidence.

Region 1 officers

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/687.html

Wildlife services hotline on Long Island...

Wildlife Information Services Hotline

The Wildlife Information Services Hotline is designed to be a source of information on nuisance wildlife, general hunting information, state and private land hunting access issues, wildlife rehabilitation questions and other general wildlife questions. The Wildlife Information Services Hotline number is (631) 444-0310. The line is staffed on Monday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Messages can be left at anytime.

Sounds like you are jumping to conclusions here, and alot of them. How do you know what the situation was that led to the arrow in the deer? You cant, so to say theres no sportsmanship in the situation, or that it was dumb kids, or anything but the fact that the deer has an arrow in it, is pure assumption. Deer travel miles sometimes, especially bucks at this time of the year, so theres nothing to say this happened anywhere near your home.

As has been said, call the DEC, they will take care of it.

• Like 5

This cant be real, Read what he wrote, His family is in danger, Flinging arrows at his house, Watched the deer grow up, Its an anti trying to get a rise out of hunters to make them look bad, Thats all, If it is true a normal person would have alerted the authorities already, The assumption that some body shot it in their yard with a straight down shot would put the "Poacher,Trespasser" in one of this guys trees,  Sorry but you should just call the police and let them deal with it,

• Like 2

OK, what is the difference between a hunting arrow and this arrow? Maybe deer have a cupid for the rut and the arrow was pink and fuzzy with a heart on the end of it. Sorry seems like someone is a few beers short of a six pack. If someone shot straight up in the air and it came down in a deer that is totally unbelievable. 

• Like 1

This thread stinks in a few ways BUT,

Hey Mr. Chef OP in PJ, LI NY, haul out your camera and gets some pics.   The DEC will need them for evidence in prosecuting the culprit (s) when apprehended.  Post them here, maybe someone will recognize the fletching.....................

• Like 3

Thank you for all of those trying to help. Anyone else who is saying I am making this up can go **** themselves. I never said someone was fling arrows at my house. If you saw where I lived you would understand why I know the deer was shot near my property. Also I am not a hunter. When I said the arrow did not look like a hunting arrow I was saying that it did not look heavy enough..  I figured when someone is hunting deer they use arrows that have some weight to them. This looked light more so for archery. 

* edited curses. 

Edited by burmjohn
mod edit
  • Like 1

Maybe he just doesn't know about carbon arrows, and has only seen aluminum. Some fool (be it a poacher, legitimate hunter, or kids) is going to make a bad name for hunters. And that deer will suffer, whether or not it recovers, although I think it will, it sounds like a no vitals were struck. Call the DEC, cops, animal control, and get pictures! If the OP is a ANTI or a legitimate concerned citizen we shouldn't call witch and burn him at the stake without proof.... Now I am thinking Monty Python jokes.

deer will travel. him being in your driveway does not mean he was shot there. it sounds like he was shot from a stand at a steep angle, which is not preferred but not illegal and certainly not someone shooting into the air and it landing on the deer. Deer are tough and generally survive bad arrow wounds pretty well.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of those trying to help. Anyone else who is saying I am making this up can go **** themselves. I never said someone was fling arrows at my house. If you saw where I lived you would understand why I know the deer was shot near my property. Also I am not a hunter. When I said the arrow did not look like a hunting arrow I was saying that it did not look heavy enough..  I figured when someone is hunting deer they use arrows that have some weight to them. This looked light more so for archery. 

" I would love to find out who is shooting arrows towards my house."

Sounds like someone has been smoking too many of them left handed cigarettes.