discouraged is an understatement,

asav2013

Only seen a doe and 2 fawns and 1 small doe and a 6 point, all season from a tree stand on my lease, BY FAR my worst season in 5 years for deer sightings, not even seeing does so the rut doesn't look any more promising, rifle season is always good being a swamp the deer hide out from surrounding pressure, but bow season nothin nada zilch, really discouraged at this point, haven't seen a deer in 2 1/2 weeks, I'm doin somethin wrong just don't know what it is , I know the big boys are here , I know the deer are here , I just don't see em , my rants over just needed to vent my discouragement , hope every one else is seeing deer cuz I sure as heck am not,

I spoke with a friend  yesterday who is in the hunting industry, in the course of his day he spoke to guys in NY, PA, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri and they are all saying the same thing.... very slow hunting, very slow trail cam pics, and most observations are down by 50%.

It is frustrating, but it is hunting... and things have got to change pretty soon in the next 3 days.....  Hang in there.

Read a piece yesterday where guy said the early (Oct. 1 ) start to the bow season actually discourages deer movement...Guys in the woods tends to make deer move more during the dark hours. Maybe the old Oct. 15 start date was better...closer to the rut.

I think the rut is a little strange this year.  On Oct 16th I watched 5 bucks chasing a doe all over the place.  I haven't seen any chasing since.  The last few days I have seen mothers with their fawns which is strange.  I thought they would have chased them off all ready?  Hopefully, the next two weeks will be better. 

+1 to Jala. Also it isn't a bad idea to walk the woods and look for some fresh sign. Maybe those hot spots last year aren't so hot this time around. I have stands that are in the same situation. You don't have to go stomping around, but after a morning sit do a nice slow walk through and see what you can find. 

• Like 2

already some good points made. if you have been using the same spot and been walking in and out the same you may have burnt out that spot. i have found sign in areas i have never hunted on my property i have hunted for 13 years. i set up on it and got my buck. my old faithful spot i have seen one doe out of 6 or 7 trips, since the feed is different than usual this year. acorns are more abundant, although only in some areas. find some areas where there is sign and do not be afraid to change it up over several tips. as said above scent control and wind direction is a lot of it. winds on my property are primarily out of the SSW so go in from the east property line and have to walk twice as far. since i started doing that i have gotten twice as many bucks. best of luck

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

It would be nice if you were having a better season.  But with the deer report you are giving from our area, maybe my getting screwed out of bow hunting time this year was not such a big deal after all. This was the least time I ever had to bow hunt in all my 38 seasons. Between non stop work schedule, my wife's little dog needing surgery and in no shape to make the long ride home on the weekends, my season tanked! Thank goodness I have the entire firearm season off in just a couple of weeks or I would certainly not be easy to live with for the next year.

Hang in there you still have plenty of time.

I by no means am giving up just reporting on how slow its been this year , did a tiny still hunt this morning from one of stands found some huge fresh rubs and buck tracks so picked up shop and moved the stand 150 yards to the north, to an intersection of soybean field,thick swamp and open cedars, looks to be a good seek and chase spot, spot where bucks can cruise around but still be in "safe" cover, did have a deer run by at mock 90 at 6:55 this morning never got a look at what it was , todays hunt has showed me the most signed all season hopefully things are turning around,

I spoke with a friend  yesterday who is in the hunting industry, in the course of his day he spoke to guys in NY, PA, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri and they are all saying the same thing.... very slow hunting, very slow trail cam pics, and most observations are down by 50%.

It is frustrating, but it is hunting... and things have got to change pretty soon in the next 3 days.....  Hang in there.

Ive been having some of the best hunting of my life this yr!!! saw deer almost every time i went out

• Like 1

Sound like my year so far! Been running cams since April. Only 4 young bucks all summer and less does than I've ever seen. Been out hunting exactly 15x now and I've only seen 1 buck, 1 doe, and 5 fawns (could have been the same ones multiple times)! VERY frustrating! Having so few around this year, I hate to shoot anything, so my kids (14 &18) have a chance at something.

Cam activity at scrapes has picked up dramatically in the past few days! Been seeing some new blood moving through! Hoping the sightings while hunting will pick up now too...

Asav, watch the wind and stick to it...It only takes 10 seconds out there to make your worst season ever your best season! Good Luck

It takes 30 seconds for me.LOL. I had a chance for a buck Monday PM with one side busted off, but chose to hold out for better...still exciting to have 'em in close.

LOL!  If you get a moment go back and read what I posted on October 10th when you asked board members for advice about hunting swamps. See if what you just posted about where you are finding the "rubs", "safe" area, buck activity, isn't almost word for word what I said. The little bushy transition areas or "intersection" you call it, is what I was describing to you. I have always found them to be hot spots. I guess you can't bow hunt the same area for 38 years, many of them almost every day of the season, without learning things even on accident. LOL!  Good luck closing the deal now.

• Like 1

Had an intense night , didnt see a deer but had a deer I'm assuming a good size buck come flyin up outta the swamp I heard it run across the cedars to 30-40 yards behind me, it stopped and just slow walked through the brush couldnt get a look at it but I could hears its antlers breaking branchs and twigs as it walked, not thrashing but more pushing his way through the brush as he walked , he had me trapped in my stand till lil after 6:30 I didnt wanna get down and bust him so I waited him out till I heard him move off and I slipped out as quiet as possible,

I have been in the woods 1 day this season thanks to a herniated disc pressing. On my nerve. I would kill to barely see anything in the woods then lay in bed.

I've got a week and half off starting 2 days before opening rifle. Gonna hunt as hard as I can during that time. Good luck and shoot straight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1