What the HECK ??

Pygmy

I stopped by my local credit union today to use the walk up ATM out front..

While I was there, a guy came walking out of the CU , wearing dark glasses, carrying a cane in his left hand, and holding the harness to a seeing eye dog in his right hand..The dog was a lab and was labeled " Working dog, Do Not pet, " Etc.

The guy walked into the parking lot, put the dog in the passenger seat of an SUV, and then got into the DRIVER's seat and DROVE AWAY...WTF is going on .. ??

• Like 1

Lmao how does that make sense? Maybe he had a hidden cam and was getting people's expressions.

Or maybe he was just training the dog and wasn't really blind? Did the guy hit anything when he drove off? Lol

Hehehehe...Good question Geno... No he did NOT hit anything when he drove off..I stood there visiting with an old freind of mine and his 2 golden retrievers..I'm sure that one of us or the dogs would have heard the impact...LOL..

BTW..This was in Corning...You've moved up this way now, I assume ?..

Edited by Pygmy

Hehehehe...Good question Geno... No he did NOT hit anything when he drove off..I stood there visiting with an old freind of mine and his 2 golden retrievers..I'm sure that one of us or the dogs would have heard the impact...LOL..

BTW..This was in Corning...You've moved up this way now, I assume ?..

no i am moving up there once we close on the house in horse heads probably within in the next 2 weeks... funny you say corning credit union because thats the bank we will be using up there lol

I'm from buffalo i installed a couple of flags poles in horse heads this summer I also have an uncle that's a pastor their

no i am moving up there once we close on the house in horse heads probably within in the next 2 weeks... funny you say corning credit union because thats the bank we will be using up there lol

I'm from buffalo i installed a couple of flags poles in horse heads this summer I also have an uncle that's a pastor their

LOL WTH? i think you quoted it and wrote in the wrong spot 

you live in buffalo and installed flag ploes in horse heads? i looked at the quote and im like i didnt write that part, haha

where is your uncle a pastor?

The dog has to be trained to work around or with the cane and for a person who has their eyes covered.  Dogs are very attuned to body language and watch our eyes - if a dog isn't accustomed to working for someone wearing sunglasses there may be an issue.

Not really a good idea for a retriever to watch its handlers eyes, by the way. I am not talking about dogs feeling challenged by eye contact.  Enhancing the natural tendency for dogs to read body language and training them to hold eye contact has become popular with some trainers that do not hunt, but it causes retrievers to pop and hurts their ability to mark falls. The theory behind it is that if the dog is always looking at you it cant get into trouble...  I certainly wouldn't use that training principle for gun dog retrievers. Actually it may be helpful for trainers of retrievers to wear sunglasses if their dog is overly dependent on instructions instead of watching the sky for birds... I am seeing more and more overly dependent retrievers as this technique is popularized and hunters try it out or send their dogs to obedience classes or trainers. Ditto for dogs coming out of shelters and rescues. It can be dealt with, but if you have a clean slate I wouldn't screw with it...  Some dogs are so bad, they don't even ever think of marking a bird, they expect to be lined, stopped, cast and handled to every fall!

Edited by mike rossi