Is this going too far, to control land and deer population?

mossy725

I recently got into a conversation with a buddy of mine who owns a lot of land. He puts in a lot of time, money, and effort in food plots and land management. Recently, the number of deer we've been seeing has dropped significantly.

The other night, while I was out bow hunting, I saw no deer at all. While on stand, I saw four separate coyotes, and then one fawn, by itself. Fifteen minutes later, I hear a pack of coyotes (could only assume they were chasing this fawn).

Coyotes are big problem on his land, and in an attempt to control the coyote population, we were discussing hunting/trapping and some other topics that could potentially put us at risk for larger fines if caught.

What are your opinions, about what is going too far to control the coyote population?

Anything that gets the job done?

Only option that remains within the legal parameters?

Thoughts?

I'm fairly certain you need a trapping license to trap any animal, correct?

Yes, season is open, but quite frankly, we were discussing means of removing the pack that are much quicker and more efficient, but like I said - could warrant a fine.

Appropriate, or not? When, as a landowner, do you get to a point where you're tired of the nuisance?

You can hunt them 24/7 right now until some time in March,Road killed deer or other animals are the best to put outset up a blind 50 - 100 yards away,put out a trail camerea to see when the are coming to feed,.220 swift,.223 any thin that size is good,alot of people use shotguns. 

You can hunt them 24/7 right now until some time in March,Road killed deer or other animals are the best to put outset up a blind 50 - 100 yards away,put out a trail camerea to see when the are coming to feed,.220 swift,.223 any thin that size is good,alot of people use shotguns.

Not all completely accurate. You can't carry a centerfire rifle in the field during deer season, where only shot guns are permitted. Where we hunt, falls under that category.

As stated, makes it tough to rid the problem.

I'm with WNY, getting in trouble over a coyote is not worth it. I understand being frustrated but but calmer heads need to prevail. And for gods sake don't talk about it on the internet in a public forum if you did do something illegal.

Absolutely. We haven't done anything illegal, and won't - but I was just curious as to people's opinions.

I know, probably pretty stupid to even ask, but I know we're not the only ones dealing with the coyote problem.

I honestly don't think the coyote problem will ever go away.  They are here to stay in my opinion.  You can do whatever you want to get rid of them on your land, but sooner or later they will come back, most especially if the land holds a good amount of deer.  Even if the season was opened ALL year round only a token amount would be killed.  In general not too many people hunt them or are really interested in hunting them.  People have little enough time to even hunt deer, turkey, etc. these days, so it is highly unlikely they will be making trips out just to kill coyotes.

Go to NYSTA (New York State Trappers Association).

Tell them your problem, and ask them to put you in contact with an experienced K-9 trapper in your area. They will gladly do this.

Let the trapper do his/her job. Experiened trappers are very effective for a localized area.

Well dont do anything to get yourselves in trouble with the law and if trapping requires a license then look into getting yourself one. Hunt them as well, im sure you can go some routes legally to help thin out your yote problem...

goodluck with it!

i am seeing the same problem on my land.  Last year I got serious and learned to call at night with the lights and have had limited success.  Ive called them in and they've been howling all around me at times but they've never committed, even with a decoy out.  Now, granted i may have been doing something wrong but towards the end of the season, i set a bait pile.  I was never able to hunt it but i had a cam on it & had them visiting all hours of the night & day.  The bait consisted of dog food, eggs, chicken necks & backs, and sausage.  Irresistable!  I will be doing this again after the deer season.

Pretty much proven that hubting and even hunting/trapping will do little to control the populations.

It's been tried about everywhere - 2/3 or more need to be removed every year for several years, and even then the population will rebound quickly if habitat and food are available.

Not saying not to try, but to be realistic about possible results.

The best bait for coyotes, as far as im concerned, is those deer you see on the side of the road on the way to your property. If the bait is small and doesn't have any weight to it the coyotes are just going to grab and go. By using a roadkill deer you can insure they wont be leaving and you will have plenty of time to get a good shot off. I don't think it's illegal to collect the carcasses, as long as you report it to the dec or a state trooper. Does anyone know what the actual rule is?

even during deer season...keep an eye on your gut piles...if the yotes are around they will be on them within 24 hours.

I personally wish they would open the season 365 days a year. If they want the population down they should do it. My gut is telling me the DEC is much like some farmers I know. they want the Yotes there. I believe the DEC wants them for the deer population control aspect. Some Farmers I know will allow you to hunt the land but will kick your butt off if you kill the yotes.

Me----I view them as rats and they need to be taken out.