Not the biggest boy in the woods but glad I got him

ApexerER

He pushed through about 5 minutes after several deer went by my stand on my right at about 70 yards. I figured it had to be a buck trailing the doe that went through. I never got a glimpse at the top of his head. After a few minutes of not seeing anything I tried grunting and bleating probably way to much but I figured what the heck. After a minute I saw movement again and I was shocked that my terrible calling actually turned a deer around. Saw bone on the top of his head so I let him have it with the .308.

post-4816-0-10875300-1386014082_thumb.jp

• Like 4

That smile on your face is why AR's suck...sometimes.... congrats

Yes and No. I honestly am not sure how I feel about AR's. On one hand I am 40 yrs old and this is only my second buck. Last year was my first and he wouldn't have made the AR's either and I have been hunting since I was 16. So if AR's were in place I would 40 years old having never killed a buck but the other side of me says maybe if they were in place I would see more bucks and would have gotten one sooner. Either way on Dec. 1st after hunting hard with the bow and then with the rifle I am going to be happy with him no matter how many points he has. I really enjoyed the venison from my deer last year and I am looking forward to getting the deer back from the butcher and having some fresh venison again this year.

Yes and No. I honestly am not sure how I feel about AR's. On one hand I am 40 yrs old and this is only my second buck. Last year was my first and he wouldn't have made the AR's either and I have been hunting since I was 16. So if AR's were in place I would 40 years old having never killed a buck but the other side of me says maybe if they were in place I would see more bucks and would have gotten one sooner. Either way on Dec. 1st after hunting hard with the bow and then with the rifle I am going to be happy with him no matter how many points he has. I really enjoyed the venison from my deer last year and I am looking forward to getting the deer back from the butcher and having some fresh venison again this year.

Do you just not see bucks at your hunting spot or do you not get shots on them or miss etc? 

I know a guy who has shot 3 bucks in the last  25 years and he has hunted every year. He hunts the same places that his brother does and his brother takes a buck nearly every year. 

I hear of other guys who just never see bucks on their property.

Edited by blackradio

Do you just not see bucks at your hunting spot or do you not get shots on them or miss etc? 

I know a guy who has shot 3 bucks in the last  25 years and he has hunted every year. He hunts the same places that his brother does and his brother takes a buck nearly every year. 

I hear of other guys who just never see bucks on their property.

I just don't see them. This has been a tough year for everyone I hunt with but generally other people see bucks and take larger bucks on the property although not this year. I had a 6 pt come right in to me during bow season and he never gave me an opportunity to draw but I had a chance. I have never missed. (not saying I couldn't just haven't yet) Sounds like I am in the same boat as the guy you know. I just think for whatever reason I am generally at the wrong place at wrong time.

That buck is exactly why I did not fire last week.  I saw antlers just like those, but he refused to lift his head out of the Laurel.  So the AR zone saved his life.   I could never see his full rack.     Had I shot a buck like that in AR, I would have been sick.    

And I've been kicking myself for the past week, because it was a big bodied deer, and I'm thinking it must have been 3 points.   But was never positive.   After seeing that picture, I'm happy I never pulled the trigger.

I just don't see them. This has been a tough year for everyone I hunt with but generally other people see bucks and take larger bucks on the property although not this year. I had a 6 pt come right in to me during bow season and he never gave me an opportunity to draw but I had a chance. I have never missed. (not saying I couldn't just haven't yet) Sounds like I am in the same boat as the guy you know. I just think for whatever reason I am generally at the wrong place at wrong time.

Theres always Lady Luck. But work hard at scouting, practice and minimizing movement, scent etc. in the stand and get in at the right time. Lots you can do to increase your odds.

But they all taste the same. Congrats on a nice buck.

Edited by Belo