How dumb are spikes ?

fadetoblack188

Simply put that age class is very young and inexperienced no matter what size the rack spike to basket 8 included.  They tend to throw caution to the wind and let hormones and instinct to mate take over.  This lack of self preservation gets them into trouble.  Older deer tend to be more wary and smarter. 

In so far as an accomplishment it depends on the hunters level and expectation.  If it was the hunters first deer that is a great accomplishment and a perfect start!  Hunting is what you want it to be.  If getting any deer is good enough for that person then its great!  To each his own I say. 

One of my hunting partners will shoot anything and I will congratulate him if he gets a spike, doe or big buck.  I pass many deer but do not expect this of my hunting partners as some are meat hunters...   Be happy with your harvest you are more successful that many.  Everyone starts somewhere and if a spike is your first buck be proud. 

• Like 5

It was my first deer .. I thought it was a doe I had a doe tag and at 100 yards I did not see the two inch spikes. O well it's a start

It's antlerless, and I hope you used your DMP tag.

My spike was pretty stupid.   He was not on alert at all.  He just came prancing in, like everything was fine.   I was very visible, on a big rock, no blind.  If he looked up, he would still be alive.   He presented a perfect broadside shot.   I had the wind in my favor, but nothing else.  Orange men all over the woods.

Like was said spike are no dumber than any other deer. The best is you have meat in the freezer and it taste good.

Who said that? Spikes are dumb. I thought most of us agreed on that? Fool a mature doe during the rut? Now that's an accomplishment. They never have their guard down. Even a big buck can be caught thinking with the wrong head.

Not putting down shooting a spike. To each their own trophy and goals. Just an honest answer when we're comparing age of deer and intelligence.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

Personally I consider a 1.5 yro doe to be an average doe. I consider a mature doe to be one of those fat slobs that weigh 160+ with the snout that is a mile long. I have seen several this year, had a DMP and I am regretting passing them up. And they were pretty darn wary. 

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER
  • Like 1

If they are 1 1/2, then they arent mature doe. Just sayin.

That was my point..., hehehe.

I remember a few posts of clearly yearling buck kills where guys were saying DEC aged them at 6+ yo and heading downhill. 

If theres so much wiggle room for error in aging an antlered deer, I'd imagine the antlerless ages are even easier to inflate/exagerate without too much questioning as long as it doesn't have spots!

• Like 2

I'm not buying the whole outsmart a mature doe speel if you want a real challenge.

I bet the majority of "mature doe" that are killed every year are also 1 1/2 year olds.

That's not a mature doe. That's a female spike horn.

I'm talking that big donkey you thought was a buck walking through the woods with 2 or 3 fawns in tow. How often is she not on edge?

it's pretty much been said... spikes are 1.5 yr olds but not all 1.5 yr olds are spikes.  all 1.5 yr olds are pretty easy to kill compared to older deer.  it's just they haven't learned enough yet.  during the rut a 1.5 yr old will follow your boot tracks laced with doe pee right to the base of your tree.  a 3.5+ year old will stop and circle down wind at a distance slowly.  on the family farm we've drive right by within bow range of many 1.5 yr old spike horns.  that said toward the end of the season they do get a little wiser.

regarding the whole "mature doe" tangent... I've got access to land where doe are passed frequently and live to grow old and many times die.  I use this land to fill a couple late season tags.  a mature doe to me is probably 4.5+ years old maybe, but more certainly one that ways in excess of 140lbs, after being field dressed.  if there ears and heads don't look small and their bodies deep from top to bottom then they probably aren't mature.