antler restrictions

raymerlo

Senator Gallivan is toying with the idea of Antler Restriction legislation. 

I filled out his online form and sent a paper letter from our Federation letting him know that we do not want it.

Please let him know how you and your organizations feel about it.

http://www.nysenate.gov/webform/senator-gallivan-wants-know-your-thoughts-about-antler-restrictions-nys

Edited by raymerlo

not going to bother.  i will contact my senator  Not only do I not want want my management decided by a bunch of senators, I do not want their decisions based on a few elites who think they know it all contacting them.  NYB does that ring a bell at all.

• Like 1

i will contact my senator  Not only do I not want want my management decided by a bunch of senators, I do not want their decisions based on a few elites who think they know it all contacting them.  NYB does that ring a bell at all.

In one breath you say you don't want the decisions made by senators but then you say you'll contact your senator directly.  Confusing, no?

And those of us that are contacting the senator via this place are "elites"?

I am saying I will not participate in a survey to help him make his decision.  he does not represent me.  I have no choice but to have them make the decision.  It is how it is.  do I like it no.  And I will contact MY representatives to let  them know how I feel.  confusing?  I guess only to you since no one else asked. And I never said all of them were elites.  My simple point is he is looking for input on how he should vote by popularity. What does he care what someone who can not vote for him thinks?  The elites such as nyb have been able to flood these things to get their way yes. If this is not simple enough for you, let me know I can dummy it down some more. 

Don't mean to talk for Bubba, butI imagine he meant he would contact him to voice displeasure in the senate even attempting this. 

That is what I am doing.

Not to comment on whether or not to support the proposal.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

I am saying I will not participate in a survey to help him make his decision.  he does not represent me.  I have no choice but to have them make the decision.  It is how it is.  do I like it no.  And I will contact MY representatives to let  them know how I feel.  confusing?  I guess only to you since no one else asked. And I never said all of them were elites.  My simple point is he is looking for input on how he should vote by popularity. What does he care what someone who can not vote for him thinks?  The elites such as nyb have been able to flood these things to get their way yes. If this is not simple enough for you, let me know I can dummy it down some more. 

Much clearer now............thanks for the effort. 

BTW, if he doesn't hunt, how should he make a determination on how to vote on this or any issue?  Isn't he supposed to make his decision based on the views of the people?

• Like 1

the people he represents, not the entire state and who knows whop responds form other states.  If he were truly vested in the subject, he would get out and talk to the people hew represents not put up a very much easily influenced poll/survey.  

Totally agree that politicians should not be allowed to have their hand in these types of regulations. If I recall correctly, this is how AR was rammed down the throats of hunters in one section (my section) of 3A. They actually split that wmu in have and enacted AR. Seemingly without consideration of the fact that there was no dmps availible, nor would there be for a very long time, if ever. Regardless of how you feel on AR, we would be best served If the slime that is politians stay out of these types of decisions.

• Like 1

This and other wildlife proposals are not dreamed up by politicians, elected ones that is... These proposals are driven by the so-called resolutions recommended by the NY State Conservation Council and all the county federations under their umbrella (at least according to them) and then all the Rod & Gun Clubs under the umbrella of the county federations (again according to them).

The so-called resolutions are therefore a form of political pressure on the senate & assembly which originate from the sporting community as well as the agriculture community through their own resolutions from their equivalent of the NYSCC - the NYFB or the NY Farm Bureau. (One example of the NYFB input on a social issue involving hunting is their resolution favoring crossbows. Reason: It would potentially lower deer depredation on crops).

It sounds good when the sporting community touts "scientific management by the DEC", but the same community seldom walks its talk. When science says pull the trigger the sporting community agrees its science. When the science says don't pull the trigger, the sporting community says its a bunch of bull from the liberals... Don't think there is not an awareness of this hypocrisy either. 

When the sporting community butts heads over largely social issues some of us agree with the resolutions and others do not. Some are uninterested and/or uninformed but have been conditioned to be loyal to the majority (united we stand or we all slide down that slippery slope you know)...

Yes, I agree with Bubba's comment about the evil in legislators making decisions based on popularity. But its about time we acknowledge the politics within our own ranks. I will give you an analogy: The lawmakers and average sportsmen are drug addicts and the leaders of the sporting community are drug dealers. A resolution is like a drug, it is "pushed". The leaders of the sporting community are "resolution pushers." The lawmakers and average hunter are "resolution junkies"...

Republicans and the right wing element tout "personal responsibility".  Time for a reality check and to start walking the talk...

Edited by mike rossi

politics has to do with everything.  it's just the way it will always be.  Maybe he's overstepping his bounds, but he'd only do it if he was getting pressure from a lot of the sportsmen community in the districts he represents.  A lot of good legislation has gone into wildlife conservation in the past, despite it all not being good.  I think calling elected politicians slime for putting up a pole or survey is uncalled for.   don't whine and instead participate in the pole, making your voice heard.  if you trash every politician out there how will you ever have their support.  politicians who are involved with sportsmen are what we need and more of them in our corner.  not those like our governor with a personal agenda or others that sit on their &^% collecting a pay check.

GOod points mike and dbhunter. I understand what you are saying.

I think sometimes small, yet very vocal or otherwise influential groups can have legislation "sneak" into law without it being properly vetted by all concernd individuals/groups. And I think that is what happened with AR in that one specific portion of 3A. So I suppose my ire should be at least equally directed towards whoever that group of hunters were who sorta pulled a fast one on the rest of us who they new going in were not going to be supportive of rule.

Don't mean to make it sound like I'm all bitter about it. I'm not anymore. Well maybe a little.

I don't know the answer for sure, but did anyone ever check to see if a regulation change such as antler restrictions is something the DEC can set without the legislature? If the DEC wants to change the size limit of largemouth bass, do they have to do it through the legislature? If so, is the DEC even allowed to make proposals to the legislature, I don't believe they are. I also think some laws, perhaps the regulations, but not the statues, can be set by the DEC with only a stakeholder input period . And, public comment might even be optional - although public comment is required by law before some laws are finalized,  I am not  sure if the stakeholder input / public comment period is mandated by law when dealing with  laws  considered to be regulations. What do the attorneys on this forum say about all of the above? Its time we get this clarified and made known amongst us.... 

Edited by mike rossi