Why do people have to be such jerks

luberhill

Whatever happened to the rule "Keep right except to pass". Tailgaters, speeders, impeding the flow of traffic, failure to keep right all are violations and contribute to the dangers of driving, but antagonizing or trying to teach them a lesson only increases your chances of a crash and injuries. Pullover and let them pass so you will arrive safely. You can't control the behavior of others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

Sorry John , I see the tailgater as the antagonizing Karen . There’s zero reason for it , none , it’s dangerous and their tough guy driving can be upsetting which is their entire goal .

Im largely a number three lane driver, sometimes like on 590 where there’s on/off ramps every half mile I’ll be in the #2 lane to leave the #3 open for merging . I’ll be going whatever the traffic speed is ,there’s one or two lanes to go around ,so do so .

Speaking of 590 , going south it splits , and if you need to go 490 East you need to be in the #1 ( fast ) lane at the split . What happens is if a “ slow “ driver waits to the split , nobody lets them in , so they get over miles back, and drive their slower speed, which then enrages the “ fast “ drivers who tailgate and take risky chances passing . It’s really quite funny , if you “ fast “ drivers had any  courtesy and let them over at the split this would all be avoided .

After driving down to Florida and back one year ago, I am choosing to fly and rent a vehicle. Too many Dale Earnhardts to deal with. Too much white knuckling on the steering wheel for me. Idiots everywhere. OK...OK I will calm down now and go hunting next week and stare at trees and be at peace.  

10 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

But why? All you are doing is upping the chances that you’re pissing off the wrong person. Just drive and don’t worry about people that want to drive faster than you. 

I’ve never understood the point behind antagonizing other people.

This pretty much summarizes the approach to use. Let the problem/road rage driver go by and get on with your own life without getting involved in escalating the problem.

To get away from the problem, pull over and let it go by and call 911 if you need to.

It's good to take the NYS safe driving course every 3 years, not only to get a good discount on your insurance, but more importantly to be aware of how to handle various situations in order to get you and your passengers to your destination safely.

• Like 1

It’s dangerous to pass on the right. If you’re driving at lower speeds on the left lane you are presenting a hazard to other drivers. While I don’t condone tailgating, attempting to cue a left lane cruiser to switch lanes is actually safer than passing on the right. Using your high beams is the good citizen’s alternative to tailgating.  

16 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

It’s dangerous to pass on the right. If you’re driving at lower speeds on the left lane you are presenting a hazard to other drivers. While I don’t condone tailgating, attempting to cue a left lane cruiser to switch lanes is actually safer than passing on the right. Using your high beams is the good citizen’s alternative to tailgating.  

I think in Europe the common road language to get someone to get out of the left lane so you can pass is to turn on your left turn signal.   

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, Nomad said:

Sorry John , I see the tailgater as the antagonizing Karen . There’s zero reason for it , none , it’s dangerous and their tough guy driving can be upsetting which is their entire goal .

Im largely a number three lane driver, sometimes like on 590 where there’s on/off ramps every half mile I’ll be in the #2 lane to leave the #3 open for merging . I’ll be going whatever the traffic speed is ,there’s one or two lanes to go around ,so do so .

Speaking of 590 , going south it splits , and if you need to go 490 East you need to be in the #1 ( fast ) lane at the split . What happens is if a “ slow “ driver waits to the split , nobody lets them in , so they get over miles back, and drive their slower speed, which then enrages the “ fast “ drivers who tailgate and take risky chances passing . It’s really quite funny , if you “ fast “ drivers had any  courtesy and let them over at the split this would all be avoided .

You can’t control other people. If someone wants to drive fast, why do you care? It’s none of your business honestly. Let police take care of speeding issues, because all you’re doing is making a dangerous situation if you’re screwing with people. 

It’s too bad they can’t figure out how to move more freight on rails and get more big trucks off the highway.  They are the cause of about 90 % of the trouble I see on the big highways.

We are trying to use rails more to move our product but you wouldnt believe how often it gets "lost". Very frustrating. Its on tracks for Petes sake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro