TURKEY REPORTS - SPRING 2014

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

I hunted for a few hours on thursday and seen 1 lone bird that had been spooked by some barking dogs. Heard no gobbles

Same thing today and the only bird I seen was off the side of the road on my way home. Still haven't heard a damn bird. Oh well, I may just switch gears and yank the lips off some walleye this afternoon

• Like 1

Pick out one feather & aim for it . It took me 3 misses before I realized what I was doing wrong. Got the 4th!

I never missed once...in my experience those wing feathers just cannot be penetrated consistently with rage broadheads.

On the bird I harvested I sank 2 in the body at close range (3rd and 4th in him) to try to finish him and by the time the arrow got thru the feathers and to the body it only had enough energy to pierce the skin and run up the ribcage, never penetrating the cage after the initial shot.

Once I aimed for the neck it was lights out...that is all I will aim for from now on.

From my experience rage 2 blade are not effective broadside wing technique broadheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

I guess I was looking at the whole bird before I realized what I was doing, my mistake! They are fun with the bow. I took mine with my 100 gr muzzy fixed blade. This was a few years back. Good luck.

Yeah I am sure cut on contacts are much better suited for that technique, but I don't want to change my deer set up so I am gonna just go for the throat.

No gobbles this morning. I did call in two very vocal hens that didn't shut up for half an hour. One went through her entire vocabulary. She yelped, cutt, purred, clucked, feed whines and even keekeed! One things for sure, I think hunters tend to sound better than hens. These girls sounded horrible.

• Like 3

ive put in 15-16 hours in the woods this spring so far. I saw 6 longbeards youth season, all henned up. This weekend i put in 9 hours and havent seen a turkey, although heard some gobbles on the neighbors front lawn. The turkey where we hunt, fly off the roost with the hens and stay with them the whole day.

3 toms gobbling today in 3 differant woods. First for an hour straight ,but across a giant field in the next woods,I could not call him over. I then moved through my woods had one gobbling in rear of woods set up called, he came in silent saw his head/ neck peeking over a blow down, looking straight at me,head went down never saw him again.

Did see 15 deer though oh and one trespasser . Let him cross over set Up his decoys,hide in the woods. I then walked over and we had a chat.....and since it's Mothers Day I made sure and use the word Mother a number of times.

Stop at a friends house on way home heard another gobbler in woods behind his house.

• Like 1

2 different toms gobbling this am with my daughter and I getting within 40 yards of the biggest bird I have laid eyes on in a long time!!At least a 12 inch beard but my daughter twitched a bit and that was it,disappeared like a ghost!!He sounded off on the roost at least 20 times and 3-4 on the ground.2 hens the rest of the day and thats it

Finaly shot a bird this morning, 9 5/8" paint brush with 1 1/8 spurs"  He was the only bird I have heard in 4 days of hunting Delaware County. Have not even seen or heard jakes. DEC needs to investigate whats going on in my area.

He was the only bird I have heard in 4 days of hunting Delaware County. Have not even seen or heard jakes. DEC needs to investigate whats going on in my area

That does seem a bit odd. I've always considered that area to be well populated just by all the flocks that can be seen along the roads.

Give them a call and hey, maybe they'll fess up to releasing mtn. lions! HAHA

:popcorn:

Well that was nice of you! :biggrin: Too funny!![

Well he got off lucky. On another part of the farm this morning a DEC of officer was hunting with the farmer ,but I hate to bug a guy on his off time......

Mr tresspasser is now on the watch list though.

I was planning on trying for beard 2 this morning but...

Starting to get too nice on the lake, between sunset last night and sunrise this morning I was thinking time to drop the boat in for the season:

post-1622-13999062365321_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13999063625176_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13999063938634_thumb.jpg

post-1622-13999064104282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

I'm sure your daughter feels terrible about it. Go get him together another day. 

She told me last night she wasn't sure if she can shoot a animal yet,so the plan is she wants to still come with me because she loves going out(I know this is true because she doesn't give me a bit of problem getting out of bed at 4 am when we hunt and anyone with teenagers knows that getting the typical teen up before 9 am might be a act of the Lord himself!!!!LOL) and she wants me to get a bird when she is there to see how she feels.Thats fine by me,I wouldn't want her to do something that she may regret in the future.

• Like 4