Joining the Crossbow Family

heavuser

Terrible story. Manufactures putting stuff out there with ads about amazing speed and you have to change strings after 50 shots?? Especially at the price of that crossbow. Too many stories of strings unraveling and limbs exploding. Probably best to sight it in with 10 or 20 shots which is something that can be done with most xbows and don't shoot it again until your ready to drop a deer

On 11/4/2022 at 7:39 PM, BBDEric said:

I don't know any dec officer enforcing.  But has to be 17 inch uncocked. Not many manufacturers even meeting that requirement. I for one don't care what anyone uses as long as you get out an enjoy the outdoors. 

On 11/4/2022 at 8:48 PM, Four Seasons said:

You won’t find many that enforce the stupid laws. Unless of course they use the illegal crossbow for other illegal activities and then they will just add the stupid law on the top of the other charges. 

They just got a guy the other day. Some are

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 1:41 AM, Gobbler Chaser said:

Manufactures putting stuff out there with ads about amazing speed and you have to change strings after 50 shots?? Especially at the price of that crossbow. Too many stories of strings unraveling and limbs exploding. Probably best to sight it in with 10 or 20 shots which is something that can be done with most xbows and don't shoot it again until your ready to drop a deer

When I decided to mess around with a crossbow I read up on everything I could find, I found a lot of horror stories depicting what Gobbler Chaser posted above. It is the number one reason I decided to go with a modest priced Excalibur whose claim to fame of eliminating the high failure rate read about on some of the high end stuff seems to be having, it is a major selling point for me. With some of those crossbows I would be flinching every time I pulled the trigger expecting the inevitable disaster.

Al

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:39 PM, BBDEric said:

I don't know any dec officer enforcing.  But has to be 17 inch uncocked. Not many manufacturers even meeting that requirement. I for one don't care what anyone uses as long as you get out an enjoy the outdoors. 

On 11/4/2022 at 8:48 PM, Four Seasons said:

You won’t find many that enforce the stupid laws. Unless of course they use the illegal crossbow for other illegal activities and then they will just add the stupid law on the top of the other charges. 

Just because it may not be enforced doesn't make it legal. Why one would knowingly break the law is a head scratcher to me. Imagine shooting a book buck or wanting to take some hero shots only to risk getting blown in. Big deer make others jealous and any deer shot with that "bow" in NY would fall under "taking game with an illegal implement" or "poaching" even if it doesn't fall into the same category as shooting a deer out of season, at night or with a gun during archery. Poaching is poaching.

Not saying you're doing this OP, just seems silly to spend that kind of money on an implement that can't be used in NY when there are many other legal options. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Five Seasons said:

Just because it may not be enforced doesn't make it legal. Why one would knowingly break the law is a head scratcher to me. Imagine shooting a book buck or wanting to take some hero shots only to risk getting blown in. Big deer make others jealous and any deer shot with that "bow" in NY would fall under "taking game with an illegal implement" or "poaching" even if it doesn't fall into the same category as shooting a deer out of season, at night or with a gun during archery. Poaching is poaching.

Not saying you're doing this OP, just seems silly to spend that kind of money on an implement that can't be used in NY when there are many other legal options. 

I picked up a scorpyd as a backup bow and to use in NY, the Ravin will be used in NJ. My other rational for keeping the Ravin is I have no plans on staying in NY forever!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heavuser said:

I have no plans on staying in NY forever!

that's the smartest thing anyone has said in a while on here haha. I do love the look and tech of those ravins though. Their marketing dept deserves an award though if they're really that unreliable. good luck with it!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Five Seasons said:

One could ask themselves why some DEC officers would not enforce one of the stupidest laws on the books or the shooting coyotes year around or having to have your rifle in a case to drive 10 minutes up the road?  Some realize who are making these stupid laws and don’t agree with them either.  Any idea why they have a width and weigh law in Ny but not in about any other state?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, Four Seasons said:

One could ask themselves why some DEC officers would not enforce one of the stupidest laws on the books or the shooting coyotes year around or having to have your rifle in a case to drive 10 minutes up the road?  Some realize who are making these stupid laws and don’t agree with them either.  Any idea why they have a width and weigh law in Ny but not in about any other state?

I'm anti crossbow, so I have no idea why these laws are in place. As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't have ever been allowed in the first place. 

Why don't we ask the NYCC? they haven't posted on here in years after failed after failed attempt. 

2 hours ago, Five Seasons said:

I'm anti crossbow, so I have no idea why these laws are in place. As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't have ever been allowed in the first place. 

Why don't we ask the NYCC? they haven't posted on here in years after failed after failed attempt. 

I would have to guess that when it comes time for it to go in front of the board again it will be brought up. It still hits the Outdoor News so it’s not a dead horse yet. I would also guess that with oh so many people using whatever crossbow they want during that season with who can even imagine the number of people that use them on their own properties they are not to worried about any of it. The way this world has turned people are going to do whatever it takes to get them thru their lives regardless of some stupid made up laws by a clueless white shirt sitting behind a desk that has probably never even stepped into the woods. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

I would have to guess that when it comes time for it to go in front of the board again it will be brought up. It still hits the Outdoor News so it’s not a dead horse yet. I would also guess that with oh so many people using whatever crossbow they want during that season with who can even imagine the number of people that use them on their own properties they are not to worried about any of it. The way this world has turned people are going to do whatever it takes to get them thru their lives regardless of some stupid made up laws by a clueless white shirt sitting behind a desk that has probably never even stepped into the woods. 

and by whatever it takes to get through this tough world, you mean buying a $3k illegal crossbow instead of one that costs under a grand?

got it

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Five Seasons said:

and by whatever it takes to get through this tough world, you mean buying a $3k illegal crossbow instead of one that costs under a grand?

got it

spacer.png

Again. Just because you can’t afford the best you knock those that can. Your crossbow under a grand going to take out that big buck you can never seem to kill at 80-100 yards?  I didn’t think so. You see some of us can enjoy the best the world has to offer.  And will enjoy it. 

Edited by Four Seasons
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Again. Just because you can’t afford the best you knock those that can. Your crossbow under a grand going to take out that big buck you can never seem to kill at 80-100 yards?  I didn’t think so. You see some of us can enjoy the best the world has to offer.  And will enjoy it. 

bro my truck costs more than your trailer and I'm under 40.

care to post a pic of your crossbow next to a big buck?

Edited by Five Seasons

9 minutes ago, Five Seasons said:

bro my truck costs more than your trailer and I'm under 40.

care to post a pic of your crossbow next to a big buck?

Your truck?  It might cost as much as my deer hauler if your lucky. You still having to work at 40 says your not even close to being in my league but you keep doing your best.