On my hit list!

Deer like this are the toughest to let walk. Then, if you do let it walk and don't get one later, you second guess yourself all winter. But, if he shows up next year, bulked up and even more horn on his head, you are happy as can be.

It is all a personal judgement call on any hunter's part. If you shoot it, be proud of it. If you let him walk and the neighbors get him, congratulate them. It is all your call in the woods, and enjoy your time and challenges.

Deer like this are the toughest to let walk. Then, if you do let it walk and don't get one later, you second guess yourself all winter. But, if he shows up next year, bulked up and even more horn on his head, you are happy as can be.

It is all a personal judgement call on any hunter's part. If you shoot it, be proud of it. If you let him walk and the neighbors get him, congratulate them. It is all your call in the woods, and enjoy your time and challenges.

exactly what I meant !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Don't pass a deer on opening day that you would be happy taking on the last day of the season"

• Like 1

I have a bunch of times passed up deer on the first day or during the season that I would have shot, given the opportunity, on the last day. Sure I may regret it a little. But I get over it, and by the following year, its just another hunting story to tell.

It seems for me that I change "what I will shoot" as the season goes on. Depends upon how things are going, if I have meat in freezer, how much time I have to hunt, etc.

I have a bunch of times passed up deer on the first day or during the season that I would have shot, given the opportunity, on the last day. Sure I may regret it a little. But I get over it, and by the following year, its just another hunting story to tell.

It seems for me that I change "what I will shoot" as the season goes on. Depends upon how things are going, if I have meat in freezer, how much time I have to hunt, etc.

same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed it a bit. That was what I was told by a guide  a Ontario bear hunt.

Nice buck, most NY hunters would be proud of getting something like that.  Would be nice to let him spread his genes but to say I would not shoot him would be a lie.  

I think what some are saying is this:  Do not put a deer on your hit list because you are thinking your neighbor will shoot him.  That is just selfish.  Put him on your hit list because he is a nice deer and you would be happy to take him and would be proud to show off his beauty. 

• Like 2

You should never worry what others think. Sometimes as a younger hunter id compare myself to my dad and uncles who've been doing it forever. Any bow kill is a good one and you should always be happy with what you shoot. If you don't think you'll be happy than don't shoot it. Disregard antler envy and do what you want.

• Like 1

"Don't pass a deer on opening day that you would be happy taking on the last day of the season"

I disagree with this. It's the same argument being made. If you want to try for a bigger buck and then "settle" and that's what makes you happy than who cares?

Certainly better than the no tagged/tag borrower approach

Edited by Belo

I disagree with this. It's the same argument being made. If you want to try for a bigger buck and then "settle" and that's what makes you happy than who cares?

Certainly better than the no tagged/tag borrower approach

You are making the presumption that you will see one to take later. I think that was the guides point. I

You are making the presumption that you will see one to take later. I think that was the guides point. I

often you don't haha. I've passed on bigger deer and tagged smaller. It's part of the sport. I don't regret passing the bucks, I feel better knowing i can stay in the woods longer and do not partake in tag sharing.

I know a few guys at work who constantly bitch that all they ever kill is doe or small bucks. But then they tell me that they shoot the first one they see then quit. During the rut, you have to maintain your composure and wait to see if a buck is tailing her.

Case and point for me was 2 years ago when my son was born. I wasn't going to have a lot of time to hunt so I shot the first buck I saw. A nice big and good tasting 5. A buck, that with a normal season I would have passed on. After I shot him, not 1 minute later walked out a nice 2.5 yr old 8. A monster? No, but within my goals.

IMG_0973.jpg

missed2.jpg

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

If you're excited enough to upload a picture, make a post and say "on my hit list" you should be excited enough to know he's running around in the woods where you are hunting. A 10 point deer by any standard is something to be proud of. Who is to say that you will ever get the chance to have a shot or the opportunity to let him walk. I hunted a 10 2 years ago that was always just out of range or at a different trail than I expected. Opening day of gun my friend shot him with his muzzle loader in a field. I shook his hand and said congrats with a bitter taste in my mouth but I was happy for his experience. The concept that he's your deer and you'd be mad if your neighbor shot him for not letting him grow is blasphemous. If your that concerned about letting deer grow sit down with your neighbors and make a plan, then make a hit list.

Edited by Kot2B
  • Like 2

I agree with some of the points that have been made, but everyone needs to cool down. We don't need to sing Kumbaya or anything, but there are ways to make the same point without sounding like a jerk.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot that buck because he is young. A neighbor might shoot him and then again maybe he'll make it to next year, that's just the chance I would take.

holy heck if I could only like this post at least 10 times over.