Season might be over b4 it starts

firehunter48

Just found out earlier today that my bow season is most likely over before it's even begun.

Went to my cardiologist this afternoon and found out that I have to have a pacemaker put in. It seems that I have some issues with heart rate dropping into the 20's and pausing for a few seconds here and there. Now the procedure itself is nothing but I'm not supposed to lift my arms above my head for 7 weeks or lift anything over 2 lbs. I asked if I could bow hunt and she told me that it was iffy cause of the drawing of the bow and it being a 60 lb draw.......isn't that just great. But she also told me that if I gave a good solid week of doing exactly what I was told it might be possible. Looks like I am gonna have to start listening to a Dr's rules for once!!

And the real pisser of it all.....I just turned 40 a couple of months ago

Just found out earlier today that my bow season is most likely over before it's even begun.

Went to my cardiologist this afternoon and found out that I have to have a pacemaker put in. It seems that I have some issues with heart rate dropping into the 20's and pausing for a few seconds here and there. Now the procedure itself is nothing but I'm not supposed to lift my arms above my head for 7 weeks or lift anything over 2 lbs. I asked if I could bow hunt and she told me that it was iffy cause of the drawing of the bow and it being a 60 lb draw.......isn't that just great. But she also told me that if I gave a good solid week of doing exactly what I was told it might be possible. Looks like I am gonna have to start listening to a Dr's rules for once!!

And the real pisser of it all.....I just turned 40 a couple of months ago

My uncle is almost 71, he has had a pace maker since 35, just figured I'd toss that out there. 

• Like 1

I hate to hear of these things occurring with people so young, but like you said the procedure is now pretty darn routine. Yes you will be losing one season, but it will ensure many more afterward. Get it fixed and start out next year with a renewed determination.

• Like 1

A couple things........If it were me (and it ain't) I'd be at that Dr's office at 9am this morning with a loose fitting shirt PLEADING to get that pacemaker installed pronto.  Then I'd be a real good boy and behave as directed.......6 weeks from now is October 29th, JUST in time for the rut to start to crank up.  Lots of years I didn't even start hunting until that week due to work and other factors.  You'll be missing NOTHING then hitting the peak of the hunt.

Who's your Dr, Dr Cobler?  I've worked for her a number of times, very nice lady.

Keep the positive attitude and you'll be fine........... B)

Can't thank everyone enough for the well wishes and encouraging words. They all mean a lot even though I have never met a single one of u.

I went to pacemaker doc yesterday and I am officially getting one. I begged for an appointment today or tomorrow but his first available appointment is Friday the 26th. I talked with him and made sure that he would place the device in my left shoulder since I'm right handed. I told him that was imperative to my shooting a gun. He also told me that I had to behave for 2 weeks but the first week was the most important. So my season MIGHT be salvaged. I am going to talk to him about being able to draw a 60 lb bow. If he says no, I am gonna make a call to the DEC about a crossbow permit for regular archery season since the way I interpret the regs, if u can't draw and hold a bow due to medical reasons they will issue that permit. As I know I very well may be wrong about that, I would check with them. If not, I'm just gonna have to wait. It's the waiting time to heal that will kill me since I know my father will be in the stand, calling me telling me about all the deer he's seeing and walking straight to my stand.

Is what it is at this point and right now I just have to remember that if I don't get this done and heal right that i won't be waking up to go to the stand anymore period.

Again....THANK YOU ALL. It truly does mean a ton

• Like 1

Best wishes firehunter.  I know it may not be the same but go get yourself a nice camera and go shoot some deer with that.  At least this would put you in the woods and less chance of over straining yourself and slowing the recovery.  Nice peace and quiet in the woods with a camera in hand could do wonders for your spirit as well. 

Best wishes ...I hope everything went smoothly yesterday....This is the time to relax and make plans for the future...think of more ground blinds ideas and I have to say...I have been taking deer for many years shooting 45# recurves and 49# compounds...35yrds and through shoulders so 60#'s can easily be dropped....listen to your Dr and stay on the ground....You'll be out in no time.