When will you start your all days sits?

nybuckboy

I never do all day sits.  If I missed seeing a few deer because I didn't sit all day, so be it.  I think many people who do these all day sits become bug eyed, cold, bored and un-attentive by about 11AM, that they will probably miss seeing any deer that might sneak by anyway.  Best thing to do is to take a break, have lunch, maybe a nap, and you'll be refreshed for the afternoon.

Not at my camp! Hunt hard or stay home………..lol

I don't do many all dayers anymore. Maybe 2 or 3, tops all season during peak  bow. Gun season I will sit till 11 or 12, take a break and then head back out at 2 till dark, but I only do that the first week or so.. Most times its just mornings or just evenings.

Back in the salad days I would pack a lunch & a piss jug and  stay put from dark to dark. 

Edited by ants

I sit all day everyday... I don't get bored, don't sleep a wink and don't fade out. I wait all year for the season and I hit the ground running. Oh and the wife yells at me cause I drink 2 5 hour energy drinks every sit.... :/

This year I may not sit all day everyday since it's my first year up here. I'll put in some time and see how the movement is accordingly. Always saw many deer in the afternoon early season on LI.

• Like 2

This season I lost some properties and may score a big farm (fingers crossed) but have not took any inventory on LI as I know there there but most stressful part is I haven't had a chance to pull inventory yet. Hope I get this farm permission so I can start. Hope the last laid plans are the best or I'm in trouble lol

I have a very limited amount of time that I can hunt, so any day I can get away is an all-day-sit.  My first two will be 10/4 and 10/5.  

The next weekend is the youth weekend, so the 12th and 13th will be all about trying to get my sons their first deer.  After that, I'll try to get out once more before bow season ends, but it's not guaranteed.

One thing I have picked up on over the years is that fall is the time when deer patterns shift the most frequently. Food sources and cover are rapidly changing. So the one spot fits all approach doesn't cut it for me where I am. What that means is that I do have to do a lot of in-season scouting. While it is not impossible for a deer to wander by at mid-day, usually the most effective time of deer movement is at both ends of the day. So some portion of the mid-day is the sacrificial time for me to go out and see what the heck is going on in other areas and how the food sources are shaping up and being used. That way I have some scouting results to base the next stand location on.

All day hunts are a rarity but have paid off before. Maybe if I'm hitting an old favorite spot, day run to state land, or just somewhere else to break up the stand routine. If there's a forecast that lets say it's going to storm up for a while early or before dark, I'm more likely to hit a stand/spot for the better part of the day instead.