Someone in My Stand - It's an ethical thing

screamon demon

First off I will start by saying that I hunt state land and I have done so for many years. I enjoy it and personally feel there are a lot of larger deer on state property simply for the sake of the enormity of land and lack of hunters.  With that statement I will also say that this was the first year I put up a ladder stand. In the past I always had a climber. Once i installed the ladder stand I assumed someone would use it. it's close to the road and in a decent spot. I really dont mind someone using it as long as I dont have to get into an argument if I want to be in my stand on a particular day. I hunted on opening day (southern zone) and not again until Thanksgiving. I had to leave the previous Saturday in a hurry and forgot my scent bombs.  When I got to my stand on Thursday I noticed my bow/gun rope was tied to the stand so I knew someone was there. Next I climbed up the stand and looked down to find candy wrappers all over the ground. Lastly I looked out around my stand and my scent bombs were taken.

I dont care if someone uses the stand but jeezes be decent about it and dont take my scent bombs. It's not the cost of them it's the priciple. Secondly pick up after yourself. Being an ethical hunter has never been something I have had to work at. When I see ignorance it really fires me up.

I wonder if you might have some liability if someone got hurt while using your stand ....... even without permission. I think I would not leave a stand installed on public land. Also, those things are a bit too expensive to leave behind. I would not be surprised to see it sprout legs one of these days. You may very well be fortunate that it was only the scent-bombs that were taken.

As far as the mess left behind, it seems that I never spend much time on state land without coming out with pockets full of wrappers, cans, bags, zip-lok bags, surveyors tape and all kinds of trash that someone has thrown down on the ground. It's crazy! And by the way, it is not just hunters that do this. The hikers and bikers that swarm all over our little chunk of state land all summer seem to be pretty big litter-bugs too. There's no excuse for that kind of mess, but there also doesn't seem to be any way of stopping it.

Doc

I picked up 2 empty soda cans and a ton of snickers wrappers this weekend.I hunt on private land.And there were only 3 of us hunting this year.So I not only have a tresspasser issue I have a slob also.If I do run into him or her there well be some harsh words...............

I wonder if you might have some liability if someone got hurt while using your stand ....... even without permission. I think I would not leave a stand installed on public land. Also, those things are a bit too expensive to leave behind. I would not be surprised to see it sprout legs one of these days. You may very well be fortunate that it was only the scent-bombs that were taken

I thought the same thing. I dont leave my safety rope in the tree I bring it with me. If the person using it is doing so without a safety harness - well that's just plain stupid. NY is an assumed liability state. If that same hunter fell out of a tree he climbed (no stand) or if he tripped over a tree root he could not sue the state. I know there is a loophole somewhere.

I have the thing locked to the tree and I will get it out after the season.

I wonder if you might have some liability if someone got hurt while using your stand ....... even without permission.

Doc

If I got to my stand (on State land) and found a busted up guy laying on the ground, it ain't my stand.  Never saw it before in my life. ;)

Nice signs but it's not going to fix the guys situation.

I tried the ladderstand on state land once, heavy duty lock & chain - didn't help. A climber did. But there's getting to some spots carrying an extra 20+ lbs on every hunt can be a task. Can't offer a real solution for you since I don't know the terrain where you hunt, but I will say I also hate litter bugs & theives.

On state land, I lock my hang on's platforms in the upright position with the cable lock so they're un-usable..

Yes, it is a pia to unlock & drop every hunt, but I know for a fact nobody used my stand..

I have done that on private property where guys who have no business there had used my stands and I have forgotten to take the key with me to unlock it . Da-yum !!!

Not that I mind, but just an fyi it is illegal to leave stands overnight on state land. I did run across a ladder stand this weekend on Howland Island and the dude cut down all kinds of trees up to 4 or 5 inches across. I think the state is against that as well. Then he has two trails to it marked every 5 feet with glow tacks. I am like dude if you need tacks to follow this trail you cut..... There was the remnants of a gut pile 60 yards from it so I guess he had luck.

I see lots of stands on state and like I said it does not bother me. I would not sit in one for two reasons. The first is I have no idea if the stand is safe. Second is does the guy piss off the stand every time he sits it? Third is some nut going to shoot me out of it. Doh that was more than 2, but the 3rd may be an important one.!!

Fletch not sure where you found that you cant leave tree stands in state land over night but i could not find it. DEC says you cannot create a permanent structure, blind or stand or destroy vegetation but does not say anything about leaving removable stand overnight. I was under the impression you could over night just not all year long.  

I would have moved the tacks and sent the guy in a different direction after blocking his cut trail to reroute him . Might as well have some fun with it .

That is such a mean thing to do.  :)    I love the guys who put the tacs up to go 20 feet off the trail.  I know some poeple don't have good sence of direction but come on with these glow tacs.  I saw some device that actually lit up when you pushed a button.  I guess when you get close to your stand you push the button and the light lights up and you can then get up in your treestand.  Crazy world