Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

Taking the Howa 308 out tomorrow, putting my dad in the stand I saw 23 deer from Sunday in 7p, we both have doe tags this year so game on. He will shoot any buck too, I’m selective. Bought a millennium m300 tree chair so I can move around comfortably on 400 acres.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

Packed and ready for tomorrow opening day of gun. I decided to take my Remington 1100 for the first day :) Good luck to all going tomorrow :) 

Good call. I actually think I'm taking my Remington 1187 with the red dot for the first day. I haven't taken it out for an opening day in years, but it feels like the year to start out up close and personal with the deer.

• Like 2

Good luck to all the Southern Zone hunters, personally I have not hunted south in over thirty years, I keep my hunting North in mostly big woods.

Went out for short morning hunt in the Oaks and Beech groves, the local wildlife was quite active. saw a Squirrel almost get taken by a Hawk. Had the same two Does I have been seeing feeding at daylight, I have a DPM and was tempted to plunk the big girl with my new 6.5 Creedmoor, at 75 yards I had the crosshairs resting behind her front shoulder, she was dead meat but I abstained. Still looking for a Buck but have seen zero Buck sign so that Doe had better watch it. 

While watching the Deer feed I saw them come to attention and lift their tails and take off. Something was coming, it was the local retarded Turkey flock. They piled into the grove of mast trees jumping up and down flapping their wings chattering away having a grand old time scratching through the leaves for food.

That was it for me, have to do chores and pick up a load of hay, may have time to go out this afternoon for a short hunt.

Al

• Like 1

I stood in the wind on the metal ladder stand until almost 11AM. Toes and fingers got the better of me so I finally climbed down. Fist shots (2) I heard here in 7M at 6:30. Then quite a few scattered shots throughout the morning until about 10 am, then silent. I can't believe I never even saw a deer this morning's sit.

I'll take care of a few chores, rest and warm up, then head back out.

I chickened out taking my shotgun this morning and going where I wanted to be, overlooking the scrapes in the orchard where I got all the buck pictures. That spot is right on my property line faced into my land, but I was afraid if people on the other property fired at my property it might end badly for me. I'll wait until mid week to sit there if I have not scored by then.

• Like 1

Adding a little fiber to my diet. That is, the little black fuzzy stuff that lines my coat pockets.   My sticky peanut brittle came out of its plastic baggy and stuck like glue to the fuzzy material in my coat pockets. 

No way I’m wasting my peanut brittle.  Trying to rip it off has proven to be quite the challenge, and time passer.  

I don’t imagine the fuzz will kill me, and it sure seems to me anyway less of a threat than the 209 primers I swallowed on accident once while I was hunting. 

• Haha 1

So I'm in one of my favorite stands. Nothing for 3 hrs then 5 doe and a small buck show up. All good felt better. About 10:20 my neighbor behind me shoots. 2 shots. I can hear a deer trying to get through the thicket that separates us. It's a monster buck. Stueben county giant. He gets through and is about 85 yards off. Turns broadside and I let loose. He is not moving too quick so I hit him and he goes down. Gets up and moves on. I call my neighbor and he says he hit him high along the spine. I'm guessing the impact of the slug caused some damage but not enough to stop him. I get down and start tracking. Not great blood but enough to track. This is a long story and I'll cut it short. We tracked for 4 hours. We jumped him three times. The second time he bedded and I smelled him. We had plenty of hunters helping out but in the end he is still out there. My neighbor hit him high I probably hit him in the muscle or brisket. The last time we jumped him he was moving. I'll post some of he blood spots. Most of the time it was not a lot of blood just when he stoped it would be a lot. Damn big old bucks are tough. 

72201671890__BBB9F239-5268-4A07-8BA7-52E20B29E204.jpeg

72202673299__F47D2E86-E790-4EF3-A72F-07B258CE5DD2.jpeg

72202684029__D994B08D-9620-403D-AA90-121BEE4A1597.jpeg