Fast Eddie's Fables 2023

fasteddie

Opening day of Bow Season turned out to be a bummer . Got up at 3 am , had breakfast and drove 50 miles to my spot in Geneseo to meet up with my youngest son . Legal shooting time was 6:36 and I was in my stand by 5:45 . Sat back , relaxed and waited . Had great visibility to see across my SIL's bean field , the gully pasture lot and the neighbor's bean field . We agreed to stop at 10am as it was going to be a real warm day . Neither of of saw anything all morning . I drove the ATV down around the woods to see if I could kick anything out for my son . Still nothing . I checked out a couple trail cams and we left . Well , I left . My son went down to help my SIL put some straw in her barn . Got home in plenty of time to watch the Bills / Doefelons game so that was the highlight of the day . Looks like it's going to be too warm to hunt this week . Apparently the deer are laying low and staying cool . Pleanty of season left .

• Like 5

You had a great hunt Eddie! Just being out there with your son was worth the drive. I agree, this week probably won't be best for deer hunting. But it's still early. You'll have better opportunities once it cools down a bit. Wishing you a fun, and successful season sir.

• 2 weeks later...

My HUGE disappointment . Thursday afternoon my oldest son and I decided to hunt my SIL's woods in Geneseo . Between 2 and 3 , I saw 3 doe . Then around 5pm , I saw 4 doe west of me in the woods . At about 6 pm , I had 2 four points bucks approach my shooting zone . I could see another 5 deer west of me . I decided to shoot one of the bucks as it was about 25 yards from me . It looked like a good shot as I could see the lighted arrow nock . It ran north onto the neighbor's property . I texted my son and waited almost a half hour to retrieve the deer . I left my gear by the stand as I expected a fairly quick recovery . Big mistake . We started out spotting a few drops of blood , then a speck here and there zig zagging through the neighbor's woods which we were not familiar with . We had gone probably over a half mile and finally spotted the lighted nock on the arrow . Went a bit farther and found the deer . It looked like the arrow had gone through and finally came out the other side of th 4 pointer . It got dark quick . My son had started to go back for the sled and quickly returned as he had no idea where we were . We decided to leave the deer and find our way back through the woods . We walked East for quite a ways , then headed South . Found a corn field and kept walking south until we hit another neighbor's soy bean field . Walked another great distance , using our cell phone lights to see . Found the trail going into the woods and then found the horse trail and back to our ATV's . My knee replacement was killing me . It was almost 9pm . 

Yesterday I went back with a friend and took my Garmin GPS with me as it will show me my backtrack on it after walking . I had no idea where we wad found the deer Thursday night . We lost the blood trail and wandered around for about 3 hours and gave up . Nothing looked familiar as it was getting dark Thursday pm and we had no landmarks . I will make sure I take my Garmin GPS with me in the future as we were able to use it to get back with no problem . My son and I decided not to do any afternoon hunts at my SIL's woods after that . I am still upset with myself for losing the deer .

Hammer away !

Sorry to hear about that Eddie. I know it’s tough, but try not to worry about it too much.  The fact that we don’t get to eat all of them is not the end of the world, even though it might feel like it, at times like these.  

Lessons are learned the hard way and time will lesson the pain.  That’s why it’s called hunting.  The bad stuff makes the good stuff that much better and there’s way more good stuff than bad stuff.  

• Like 1

Man, Eddie that just totally stinks! Having spent many a night in the woods following Coon dogs I know nothing looks the same after the sun sets. I totally relied on my compass to find my way around and once I became good in using it I never paid much attention to where I was until it was time to find my truck.

I had my Dogs tree a Coon deep in a big swamp one night and found my way to them with my radio tracker receiver taking compass readings as I traveled. I reversed my directions to find my way out and when I got to my truck I realized I had lost my $700 tracking receiver. I was carrying it in my game bag and it must have fell out.

Went back the next morning to exactly where I came out of the woods and remembering my compass readings reversed my track following my compass, about a mile back in that swamp I found the receiver laying on the ground, Whew!! $700 was a lot of money back in those days and nothing to sneer at today.

Al

• Like 2

19 hours ago, fasteddie said:

My HUGE disappointment . Thursday afternoon my oldest son and I decided to hunt my SIL's woods in Geneseo . Between 2 and 3 , I saw 3 doe . Then around 5pm , I saw 4 doe west of me in the woods . At about 6 pm , I had 2 four points bucks approach my shooting zone . I could see another 5 deer west of me . I decided to shoot one of the bucks as it was about 25 yards from me . It looked like a good shot as I could see the lighted arrow nock . It ran north onto the neighbor's property . I texted my son and waited almost a half hour to retrieve the deer . I left my gear by the stand as I expected a fairly quick recovery . Big mistake . We started out spotting a few drops of blood , then a speck here and there zig zagging through the neighbor's woods which we were not familiar with . We had gone probably over a half mile and finally spotted the lighted nock on the arrow . Went a bit farther and found the deer . It looked like the arrow had gone through and finally came out the other side of th 4 pointer . It got dark quick . My son had started to go back for the sled and quickly returned as he had no idea where we were . We decided to leave the deer and find our way back through the woods . We walked East for quite a ways , then headed South . Found a corn field and kept walking south until we hit another neighbor's soy bean field . Walked another great distance , using our cell phone lights to see . Found the trail going into the woods and then found the horse trail and back to our ATV's . My knee replacement was killing me . It was almost 9pm . 

Yesterday I went back with a friend and took my Garmin GPS with me as it will show me my backtrack on it after walking . I had no idea where we wad found the deer Thursday night . We lost the blood trail and wandered around for about 3 hours and gave up . Nothing looked familiar as it was getting dark Thursday pm and we had no landmarks . I will make sure I take my Garmin GPS with me in the future as we were able to use it to get back with no problem . My son and I decided not to do any afternoon hunts at my SIL's woods after that . I am still upset with myself for losing the deer .

Hammer away !

That's a tough one to swallow. Too bad shit happens. 

On 10/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, fasteddie said:

Hammer away !

If you have the newer phones, you can open up the map and drop a pin and save it.
It has a GPS built in and you can find the pins anytime from anywhere. Better luck with the next one 

We have all been there if hunted long enough.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

Sat out in a hub blind in Mendon for a little over 4 hours . Didn't see a thing . As I walked out to my car , I saw 9 deer in the cut down soy bean field across the road . There was at 2 2 bucks . The deer don't seem to want to cooperate . If rain isn't forecasted for Saturday , we may give Geneseo another try . 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got up at 3:45 and headed for Geneseo at 5am ( 50 Miles ) . Hardly any traffic on the road . Parked the car at 6am and unloaded the ATV . My son , Matt showed up 15 minutes later . I set up my 2 man chair blind and sat back at at 6:30 in the woods . Between then and 10:30 , all I saw was squirrels . Got out of the blind and headed over to Matt's so we could take care of my Cuddeback cameras as the batteries only lasted 2 months . Changed the batteries and set the time back an hour as tomorrow is the time for the change . In the meantime , I saw a small buck through the trees plus a fawn and two doe . Too far to shoot and I had enough for the morning . The last of the 4 cameras was the Home camera that that retrieves and send pictures to my e-mail . Holy crap ! The tree with the camera and lock box were down and luckily no damage to the camera or security box . Reset the camera and put it back in the security box so the camera is sideways until I can go back with some tools . Getting pictures again via emails . 

I got a call from Matt late this afternoon . My 15 year old grandson shot a doe with the crossbow about 10 minutes after he got in one of the Hub Blinds in their back yard . What a day ! 

• Like 5

Decided to do a midday hunt with my youngest son Nick . Was setup in my 2 man chair blind at 10 am . Sat there until 3 pm and never saw anything . The tree where my Cuddeback home camera was in had fallen over . I took another security box and relocated the camera . I took my hand held Milwaukee chain saw and recovered the original security box to bring home . I left the woods at 4 pm . On the way back , I saw a doe and a buck in the laneway . They took off across the neighbor's field . The buck stood watching me from across the field as I was driving the ATV slow . When I stopped he went into the woods on the other property . My son said he saw several deer on the way to his stand plus across the field . No shots for either of us . The only thing I got was a stiff neck from sitting in the cold for 5 hours . Bummer ! 

Went down to my oldest son's property in Honeoye Falls to give it a try . I was in the blind at 2:30 . About 3:30 , a small racked buck with a decent size body showed up around 20 yards from me . I put the 20 yard dot on him and took the safety off . The safety made a click sound , the deer heard it and looked my way . When it turned it's head I pulled the trigger . This was the 1st time I ever had a shot at any deer with the crossbow . The deer bolted and took off in the direction that it came from . I found my bolt as the shot was a pass through . I couldn't spot any blood . I had called my son and he was on the way home . He told me to wait for him . Matt and Blake ( grandson ) came out and we started looking for blood . Speck here and there . Matt spotted it in the neighbor's woods about 30 yards onto that property . Recovered the deer and Matt should be butchering it right now . I doubt that I would have found the deer without help . 

Shot the deer on the left side with a Rage Expandable . 

1469346876_crossbowbuck3.thumb.jpg.7efdc6ef8c5b4468f8e3c05a3112fa1d.jpg1476883249_crossbowbuck4.thumb.jpg.a76e325738a084a0dd925346a8cc49dc.jpg2133666873_crossbowbuck.thumb.jpg.5b46332b8e7d4f4dc0a047b3e771690b.jpg2018744980_crossbowbuck2.thumb.jpg.8688e09b602a14bdc124b9b78e8dcb72.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Not much of a rack but at 82 years old , I can't be picky . One for the freezer .

I'm not all that picky at 64. lol   Congratulations Eddie!  Heck of an accomplishment to be out there and still scoring deer at 82. I hope to be so fortunate. Also, nice shot!

Edited by New York Hillbilly
spelling

11 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I'm not all that picky at 64. lol   Congratulations Eddie!  Heck of an accomplishment to be out there and still scoring deer at 82. I hope to be so fortunate. Also, nice shot!

Thanks . I actually hit where I aimed ...........

• Like 2

Sat in a ladder stand today from 6am until 3:30 pm . I had enough for the day . Saw a doe through the woods at 8:30 then another at 9:30 . Couldn't get a shot . My 2 sons and grandson all got a deer . I failed . When I got up to where I was going to park my ATV , I saw about 6 deer run into the cut down bean fields about 400 yards away . Got hold of my son to get hold of my grandson to let him know deer were headed his way . A short time later , bang . He shot a small buck . Almost forgot to mention , it was cold out !

• Like 2

Went hunting with my oldest son and Grandson in Geneseo Friday . Sat for 5 hours and saw nothing . Had the wind blowing in my face . Around 4:20 , Matt shot a nice big doe . Blake saw a couple of fawns and never shot . That's it for me until this coming Thursday . I gave Matt one of my anterless permits since I haven't used one . Gotta git'r done ........

• Like 2