Ammo background check

luberhill

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

What a joke , buying a couple boxes of 30-30

fill out the needed info and pay 2.50 and wait , and wait , and wait ..

Delayed , need to check back in a day , or two , or whatever 

We usually take at least one out of state road trip a year.  I’ve got plenty of deer ammo now, but I’m planning on stocking up my .22 rimfire and .410 shotgun ammo supplies, down in southern PA, next summer.  The further you get from the NY border, the better deals you can find.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wolc123 said:

We usually take at least one out of state road trip a year.  I’ve got plenty of deer ammo now, but I’m planning on stocking up my .22 rimfire and .410 shotgun ammo supplies, down in southern PA, next summer.  The further you get from the NY border, the better deals you can find.

Yeah but, you have a certain amount of red tape  to go through bringing ammo into New York legally, don't you?

When they run a check, what reason(s) might they have to deny you the purchase? Obviously, if you have felony convictions, I amgine, but what else? I'm afraid that this will be weaponized, in time, if it hasnt already; kinda like calling social services frivolously to report child abuse on your ex cuz youre mad at them. Like they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", sadly :negative:

23 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

When they run a check, what reason(s) might they have to deny you the purchase? Obviously, if you have felony convictions, I amgine, but what else? I'm afraid that this will be weaponized, in time, if it hasnt already; kinda like calling social services frivolously to report child abuse on your ex cuz youre mad at them. Like they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", sadly :negative:

The problem is when you do a NICS check for the first time, they have no info in the database on you, so they have to check more sources for the first time.  This is why they delay your sale.  Once you are approved the first time, future sales refer them to the prior approval and it becomes faster.

Personally, I am not ever going to buy any ammo in NY, because they are using the info to set up an unconstitutional registration data base of everyone that ever buys ammo in NY.  They may already have an unconstitutional registration data base on everyone who ever did a NICS check for a gun in NY, but that is illegal by law and they don't know about guns that were transferred in the past without any FFL involved or a NICS check being done.  They want everyone on their radar.  That can only be for one reason.  Future confiscation.

Watts2.jpg

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 3

I agree and the thing is, this legislation can (and will) be abused ; probably already has been.  Example: Say youre neighbor gets pissed at you and calls CSS , claiming you abused your kids (this actually happened to a friend of mine about 10-12 yrs ago). Now, the allegations were determined to be unfounded and everything was dropped, but would the report disqualify him from purchasing ammo under the new law? 

• Like 1

Think of the hurt this is putting on NY dealers of ammunition.  Our Governor sure did as like what she has done to firearm producers like Remington.  Seems to me the ambition is sporting goods stores should all become like a "PC" Dick's in this legislated scheme.  

I started having ammo sent to my sons house a few years ago when I couldn't find slugs. I found the slugs I needed online so I had them sent there and he brought them up for me. so now I just have stuff sent to him or I buy stuff when I'm traveling out of state. there's are no check points to enter the state. 

• Like 1

Who are we to complain about this ?

NY has always been one of the richest states in the Country.  Tis better to give than to receive.  I am thankful that our governor has given us this golden opportunity to spread some of our hard-earned wealth amoung some of the less financially fortunate states.    

I’m really looking forward to visiting some of those little mom and pop gun shops in southern PA, MD, and VA over the next few years.  

At the same time, she has made it more difficult for criminals here to get ammunition for their guns.  She should consider running for national office.  The country is badly in need of such a forward thinking leader with a proven track record of results.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

It would be interesting for someone to list ( addresses )some Ammo / Gun shops in Pa ... just sayin !

Will do.  Last summers trip to Gettysburg, just in time for the barley harvest was great, now it’s looking like this years is going to be better.  Maybe I will take our 3/4 ton pickup,  so I can haul back a little more ammo. 
IMG_2759.thumb.jpeg.8f0b9b7c4e2ccf1854df7d1418091b35.jpeg
IMG_2767.thumb.jpeg.9f055f00939ec4c36faa1cf189025c6c.jpeg

IMG_2847.thumb.jpeg.a1bf79a06c34f5180c6f0138031959db.jpeg

This is just "hear say" but I was told there was a gun store right across the border into PA. Before the law went into place he sold millions of dollars of ammo to NYS residents. He actually had to stop because the locals were getting pissed all the ammo was going out of state. 

23 minutes ago, First-light said:

This is just "hear say" but I was told there was a gun store right across the border into PA. Before the law went into place he sold millions of dollars of ammo to NYS residents. He actually had to stop because the locals were getting pissed all the ammo was going out of state. 

That’s why you got to drive a little further to find the best deals.  Just north of the MD border is where the bargains are.  

• Like 1