If It's Brown, It's Down..I Hate this term!

DirtTime

I didn't know the term "if it's brown it's down" was specifically meant that you were heading out to kill a fawn..........

I don't think it means that, Rob might be a sensitive guy. I thought it was when a group of guys went and shot all the deer they seen no matter sex or size. No matter what as long as it's legal then it is no ones business who shoots what. My cousin shares his meat, I ask for does, large and one small. It pretty much works out to be mom and fawn, lucky me!

Edited by Paula

Not a fan of the "brown it's down" saying myself either.

I prefer the old saying....., "they're all pink on the inside"!

Pretty sure that phrase was coined by an old upstate deer hunter who spent too much time alone in the woods and didn't get lucky often,lol

• Like 2

I edited my nic because my g/f made a statement to me when I was trying to sell her ammo, that using cyanide in my nic, may not be a good thing. Not in a hunting site anyway. So I changed it. Anthing else you want to rip into me about Lawdwaz?

I don't think it means that, Rob might be a sensitive guy. I thought it was when a group of guys went and shot all the deer they seen no matter sex or size. No matter what as long as it's legal then it is no ones business who shoots what. My cousin shares his meat, I ask for does, large and one small. It pretty much works out to be mom and fawn, lucky me!

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. Seeing a fawn with spots hanging in a basement when I was about 23, made me sick to my stomach.  That was pretty much why I have not hunted for more years then some people in here have been alive. Like I said, this thread was not in any way judgement of anyone. It was just me venting.

Pretty sure that phrase was coined by an old upstate deer hunter who spent too much time alone in the woods and didn't get lucky often,lol

Yeah pretty sure that means something else

Sent from my LG-VS980

• Like 3

I know what you mean but your wording is going to get alot of bashing the young hunters need to shoot what ever deer gives the chance to not everything that moves

I don't have issue with youth and bb's either. Sorry if that was unclear. I've fought my fair share of battles with bb's and guys who should know better. I wont back down from that ;)

Pretty sure that phrase was coined by an old upstate deer hunter who spent too much time alone in the woods and didn't get lucky often,lol

lol wooly. that's not what that means...

• Like 4

I dunno....., pappy always used to say that when he came home from hunting camp so I just assumed that's what he was talking about,lol

He's kinda weird like that with the stories though. The only guy I know that wears red face paint! :airkiss:

• Like 3

I dunno....., pappy always used to say that when he came home from hunting camp so I just assumed that's what he was talking about,lol

He's kinda weird like that with the stories though. The only guy I know that wears red face paint! :airkiss:

LOL!!  He ever mention what kind of pie was at camp??

Perhaps hunting camp is where he wanted your mom to think he was :)

You guys are going to hate me, I say that term all the time, I am a DEER Hunter, I don't shoot this years deer, however I will shoot a spike or a doe opening morning. I have never eaten Horn soup or Tag soup, but I heard its not that great. I have sat in the stand for days and not seen a deer, so when the opertunity presents itself I put food on the table first. I also hunt with my son so just being with him and the numerous memories in the stand make it all worth while.

• Like 2

You guys are going to hate me, I say that term all the time, I am a DEER Hunter, I don't shoot this years deer, however I will shoot a spike or a doe opening morning. I have never eaten Horn soup or Tag soup, but I heard its not that great. I have sat in the stand for days and not seen a deer, so when the opertunity presents itself I put food on the table first. I also hunt with my son so just being with him and the numerous memories in the stand make it all worth while.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. That term takes on a special significance when the population gets real low. And as much as some don't want to understand it, there are places where deer numbers are still hurting. And the brown/down phrase is not really all that unreasonable.

• Like 1

curious why you wont shoot "this years deer". If you're a meat hunter it should be all or nothing... To lump spikes in there confuses me.

I'm more disgusted by the guy who is only out there to shoot a big mature buck and then after he does, the meat is still in his freezer a year later and freezer burned or is fed to his dog, but the mount is proudly displayed for all to see...........I have more respect for the guy who shoots a deer of ANY size and color configuration and puts it to good use.

• Like 2

Who's against shooting bucks?

I think that was a "word malfunction". Belo probably meant to say SMALL bucks.

I remember having a "word malfunction" once.

I meant to say to my wife " Pass the Cheerios, Honey"...

Instead I said " You've ruined my LIFE, you F*****G B***H..!! "

• Like 9

Im sorry but, the 80 pounder's are delicious, i just try and not take them if they look like buttons. 

If a mature doe and a 1 yr old fawn doe come by and i shoot the mature doe, the younger fawn is less likely to survive solo than the mature one would be if a shot the younger one.