Monster NY buck taken.

Grouse

This is a monster buck taken in NY.  Didn't see this posted anywhere on here already.

Jeremy Williams, of Lounsberry, shot this trophy buck on opening day in Tioga County. The buck, which Williams nicknamed 'Big Poppa,' scored 175 6/8 according to Boone and Crockett Club criteria.

Upstate NY hunter finally bags ‘Big Poppa,’ a trophy buck he tracked for two years - newyorkupstate.com

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

Gotta let the little ones go to get a big one. Most hunters today do not have the discipline to let bucks pass with the knowing that they might have an empty tag in their pocket at the end of the year. Nothing beats matching wits with a mature trophy whitetail for sure. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Gotta let the little ones go to get a big one. Most hunters today do not have the discipline to let bucks pass with the knowing that they might have an empty tag in their pocket at the end of the year. Nothing beats matching wits with a mature trophy whitetail for sure. 

It took my guys a couple of years to understand the process. First coming up they would shoot small bucks. I always pushed the point to better yourself from the year before. Go bigger and you will see the difference. Now they are holding off and looking for 2.5 year olds and better. Shoot a Doe for meat. I like where we are at in my neck of the woods. QDM is working. We have one group that comes up from Maryland and hunts the first 5 days and leaves. They will shoot small ones but really don't put a hurt on things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First-light said:

It took my guys a couple of years to understand the process. First coming up they would shoot small bucks. I always pushed the point to better yourself from the year before. Go bigger and you will see the difference. Now they are holding off and looking for 2.5 year olds and better. Shoot a Doe for meat. I like where we are at in my neck of the woods. QDM is working. We have one group that comes up from Maryland and hunts the first 5 days and leaves. They will shoot small ones but really don't put a hurt on things. 

Exactly.  I wish every Hunter had the chance to feel the feeling when they harvest a top of the line buck in their area regardless of the size. One that they know when they first lay eyes on it that it’s something special. Then take it one step further and do the work and find a buck or two on that special size and then hunt that deer until harvest, nothing smaller will do. Now that’s the ultimate feeling in the hunting world. 

3 hours ago, First-light said:

I kind of like the idea of "shoot what makes you happy as long as it keeps you hunting". We keep on telling people that if they don't shoot the biggest buck in the woods, they just aren't really hunters. That message is pushed on to us by the hunting media from every direction. And every year we see our numbers declining. I understand that declining hunter numbers have many different reasons, but I have to believe that this constant drumbeat of "If you don't place all kinds of limits on your goals, you aren't doing it right" is also losing us numbers of hunters. I do not tell people what to shoot. I will be the first to shake the hand of a guy who just got a spike if he is proud of it, and I will congratulate him on his accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a big buck like this one as much as anyone, but I refuse to tell other people what they should be shooting. It just isn't any of my business. Hunting is an individual activity, and I am not one to push my standards onto others. That is one quick way to turn a hunter into an ex-hunter.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I kind of like the idea of "shoot what makes you happy as long as it keeps you hunting". We keep on telling people that if they don't shoot the biggest buck in the woods, they just aren't really hunters. That message is pushed on to us by the hunting media from every direction. And every year we see our numbers declining. I understand that declining hunter numbers have many different reasons, but I have to believe that this constant drumbeat of "If you don't place all kinds of limits on your goals, you aren't doing it right" is also losing us numbers of hunters. I do not tell people what to shoot. I will be the first to shake the hand of a guy who just got a spike if he is proud of it, and I will congratulate him on his accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a big buck like this one as much as anyone, but I refuse to tell other people what they should be shooting. It just isn't any of my business. Hunting is an individual activity, and I am not one to push my standards onto others. That is one quick way to turn a hunter into an ex-hunter.

In today’s world we are losing hunters because of age and the way of the world. I really hate to see what it looks like in say only 10 years from now. It would be tough to change a hunters ways into only shooting a big deer because most hunters are just in the game to get some meat and hope to get the biggest buck that they see in the few days they have to hunt. That will never change with that group. I think once a Hunter shoots a buck say 120 or better in Ny state and get that overwhelming feeling one gets they will want that feeling every year and they will put more time into the sport then just picking out a tree somewhere and hope for the best.                   That feeling will never be beaten when a Hunter see’s a deer and his heart starts racing and knees start knocking. Beat drug ever. Now actually find that buck and hunt only him and kill him.  That’s just addicting. 

I think really great hunts are more important than the size of the animal taken.

I mourn the lack of interest in small game and waterfowl hunting these days.  I recall many that were memorable and full of action.  Deer hunting is great, but I don't want to spend the limited amount of time I have to hunt, doing a lot of work looking for one deer, when I could be hunting small game or ducks.  Most of my scouting for deer is done when hunting grouse, pheasant or waterfowl.  Some is done when I'm bowhunting.  

If pursuing one deer becomes an addiction, I think that's a problem.  I can't think of any addiction that is good for the man afflicted with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grouse said:

I think really great hunts are more important than the size of the animal taken.

I mourn the lack of interest in small game and waterfowl hunting these days.  I recall many that were memorable and full of action.  Deer hunting is great, but I don't want to spend the limited amount of time I have to hunt, doing a lot of work looking for one deer, when I could be hunting small game or ducks.  Most of my scouting for deer is done when hunting grouse, pheasant or waterfowl.  Some is done when I'm bowhunting.  

If pursuing one deer becomes an addiction, I think that's a problem.  I can't think of any addiction that is good for the man afflicted with it.

Great hunts happen every time one steps into the woods. It’s the outcome that’s different for all. There is no addictions, it’s called choices. And some choose to do battle with the best of the best when they chase Whitetail’s. If a person is happy just filling their tags with any deer that walks by then so be it and they should have plenty of time to hunt small game. Problem is most have a better chance of finding a 12 point buck then they do finding properties with huntable numbers of small game.   

Like FS said it only takes a few times to see or harvest a real nice buck and you are hooked. I send video and pictures to the guys cause I'm up here full time. Passing nice 8 pts and such cause I know that big dude or two are out there. Like Doc I'm first to congratulate a guy killing a small buck because it is their tag and trophy. As for kids they should shoot what ever they want. nothing like seeing them harvest their first deer. 

Personally I have always been more of a small game hunter than a Deer hunter, I love hunting with dogs, the variety, the long seasons and to be able to use and fire fine firearms more than once a year for hunting. I disagree with the notion it is harder to find properties that hold small game, places you may be denied to hunt Deer welcome you to hunt Woodchucks, Coon, Coyotes, Fox etc. Speaking for myself I have no problem finding a place to hunt small game. A small four or five acre Mast woodlot can provide some great Squirrel hunting action.

Around forty years ago I was after a known large racked buck in the area I hunted. Tag were not so prevalent back then, you basically got to shoot one Deer per season. To make a long story short I hunted hard and passed on smaller Bucks because of wanting to kill that big guy. In the end I got skunked, it was the only year I ever missed getting a Deer. After the season I came to the conclusion that for me I wasted way too much time on that one Deer and missed a lot of nice weather days of good small game hunting and a ton of fun.

These days if I want to kill a deer the first legal buck I see gets dropped, no messing around dreaming of horns.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I understand the goal for some to only shoot trophy animals......I really do. But I also understand the need for hunters to harvest deer occasionally if they intend to stay in the sport. I also understand that not everybody has the option of letting deer after deer go by and finishing season after season without a score of any sort because they don't happen to have the kind of land where big deer reside. Many hunters are reliant on public land for their hunting. Others hunt big wood-land where maybe the deer are pretty scarce. Today, there are a lot of hunters who are pressed for time in this damned busy world and don't have the time to devote to targeting specific deer. There are all kinds of hunting situations and conditions where hunters may not even have the option of collecting only trophies. Imagine the level of frustration that they may feel if they think that the only allowable deer that they are expected to take are trophy class animals and anything less is failure. Those are the guys who will be short-timers in the sport if they are made to feel bad about what they have chosen to harvest. I'm afraid that all this emphasis on trophy-ism may be one of the contributors to the declining hunter populations. I think it is possible that many are being driven out through frustration because the current messages from all sides of deer hunting demand that hunters take only trophy sized deer. That is not really good for the political realities of what it takes to retain our rights as hunters.

• Like 3

I think some misunderstand what a great hunt is.

It's a hunt that challenged you. One that required preparation, skill, knowledge of the prey, determination in the face of obstacles and long odds, and maybe some luck.  When all of those elements combine and the hunter takes the game, that was a great hunt. That animal, regardless of it's size is a trophy and those are memories the hunter will take to the grave.

When a hunter merely walks into the woods and randomly picks a spot to sit down but is lucky enough to kill a big 10 point at first legal shooting time, that produces a trophy for the wall, but is far from what amounts to a great hunt.  So just stepping into the woods doesn't produce a great hunt.  

A great hunt is what keeps hunter's coming back for more.  The desire for trophy bucks is what keeps some men paying to sit by a feeder in a high fenced establishment.  Those guys can show off a wall mounted trophy but have no adventurous story to tell with it.

Sure there a those who have great hunts and take huge whitetail, but I would guess that is less than 1% of licensed deer hunters and impossible for most deer hunters to emulate, due to the lifestyle they have chosen to live.

On the other hand, most hunters can experience great hunts pursuing lesser game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

I think some misunderstand what a great hunt is.

It's a hunt that challenged you. One that required preparation, skill, knowledge of the prey, determination in the face of obstacles and long odds, and maybe some luck.  When all of those elements combine and the hunter takes the game, that was a great hunt. That animal, regardless of it's size is a trophy and those are memories the hunter will take to the grave.

When a hunter merely walks into the woods and randomly picks a spot to sit down but is lucky enough to kill a big 10 point at first legal shooting time, that produces a trophy for the wall, but is far from what amounts to a great hunt.  So just stepping into the woods doesn't produce a great hunt.  

A great hunt is what keeps hunter's coming back for more.  The desire for trophy bucks is what keeps some men paying to sit by a feeder in a high fenced establishment.  Those guys can show off a wall mounted trophy but have no adventurous story to tell with it.

Sure there a those who have great hunts and take huge whitetail, but I would guess that is less than 1% of licensed deer hunters and impossible for most deer hunters to emulate, due to the lifestyle they have chosen to live.

On the other hand, most hunters can experience great hunts pursuing lesser game.

Yes, a great hunt is measured differently by all of us. Hunting is an individual activity, and we all do it for our own reasons. I understand those that measure the greatness of their hunt by the numerical score of a deer's rack. I happen to come from a time when nobody knew what the heck you were talking about if you started talking about score. We measured the size of a buck simply by the number of points. First of all it was something if you simply got a buck......any buck. Then it was the number of points that counted. It could be a scraggly little, tiny rack, but if it had enough points, it was worth bragging about. Now we have people dragging out their tape measures and following carefully dictated procedures to prove to the world what kind of buck they got.

Yeah, we are all different. A great hunt can be all kinds of different things to each of us. Heck, it can even be a squirrel or rabbit hunt that turns out to be a "great hunt". We simply have to appreciate the entire experience and the fact that we can even get out to hunt at all. But above all, we have to resist the thought that we all have to be out there for a single reason, a single goal, and MUST take only a specific gender size and aged animal. We do not. We simply must hunt and enjoy it for whatever internal reasons that we each have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yes, a great hunt is measured differently by all of us. Hunting is an individual activity, and we all do it for our own reasons. I understand those that measure the greatness of their hunt by the numerical score of a deer's rack. I happen to come from a time when nobody knew what the heck you were talking about if you started talking about score. We measured the size of a buck simply by the number of points. First of all it was something if you simply got a buck......any buck. Then it was the number of points that counted. It could be a scraggly little, tiny rack, but if it had enough points, it was worth bragging about. Now we have people dragging out their tape measures and following carefully dictated procedures to prove to the world what kind of buck they got.

Yeah, we are all different. A great hunt can be all kinds of different things to each of us. Heck, it can even be a squirrel or rabbit hunt that turns out to be a "great hunt". We simply have to appreciate the entire experience and the fact that we can even get out to hunt at all. But above all, we have to resist the thought that we all have to be out there for a single reason, a single goal, and MUST take only a specific gender size and aged animal. We do not. We simply must hunt and enjoy it for whatever internal reasons that we each have.

True Words. But one will never feel what the word Hunting” really means until one finds, scouts, learns and hunts down one single mature whitetail buck one on one and go until they kill that one buck or bust. One will never know that feeling until it’s been earned. Not an easy task 99.9% of the time. 

• Like 1