treestand age?

turks

At what age would you ask your hunting partners to stop climbing into treestsnds? I realize there's no easy over 65 rule as everyone health is different. We ( myself and cousins) do not allow are fathers into hang ons or climbers anymore, only ladderstands we put up for( with)them. I think those are less likely to have accidents.. Not sure at which point to push ground blinds on them. Any thoughts appreciated.

There is a progression to the whole thing here. I can remember (15-24) climbing into a tree going up 2x4's nailed into the tree as steps and standing on 2 2x6's as the platform. As time went on we used hang on stands (24-45ish) then we moved onto ladder stands (46-present time). I'm 51 years old and don't like going into a hang on stand. I do have a couple on the property and will on occasion use one. This weekend my brother felt a bit sick and dizzy. I forbid him to go into any stand and just hunt from the ground. You better know your limits or you might get into trouble…Good post Turks.

Last year I met a 91 year old man that was hunting from a ladder stand that morning. He was awesome and I hope he is still climbing ladders at 92 

I'm 50 and while I prefer ladders there are places where a climber is best. I use a lone wolf sit and climb, they're great and I've never had an issue.  Occasionally I will just use a stool. It all depends on where I'm hunting and with what implement I'm using.  

Edited by upstate

It's going to depend upon the individual ,and shape is going to be a bigger factor then age I'd think. I'm 55 I use climbers and hang ons all the time ,but I'm leaning towards ladders just for the ease of use,and I've had great hunts in some this year.

I work as a LT in a city FD, I climb ladders with 80# s of stuff on and in my hands, open up roofs,carry, lift and drag heavy things and so on,so climbing in a hang on is not a challenge . My point being it's not a thing one can put an age on

I do,however worry more about healing from a fall as i age, Harness, line tied off above each stand ,Prusik clipped into at the ground. Oh and I train with this stuff,I hang from stands and practice getting back in or down. Not anywhere near as easy as I thought btw.

Wife has my stand locations and phone numbers of locals who also have my stands on their phones. If she does not hear from me at a set time,I'd imagine she'll erase the numbers and locations in her phone......

• Like 3

My FIL is 64 and I bet he only sits one stand this year and its a 12' larger platform/larger ladder. Other than that, he's on the ground now. He's lost his general sense of balance and has fallen several times with me around. He's probably done hunting in another year or two in reality, though he won't admit it.

He is ALOT of work now to take hunting and I've scarificed alot of personal success to get him hunting - he doesn't drive and is an hour away from me.The Sh!t eating grin on his face last year when he shot his first buck in a very long time was worth it. Guy was jumping around like a teen boy who imagined hitting a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth in game 7.

Edited by phade
  • Like 5

I don't think you ever tell them what to do, they've earned the right to make their own decisions.  Trying to force your will on them will only lead to resentment, and may cost you a lifetime hunting partner.  Imagine if someone told you how you can hunt....

What you could do instead is give them options, explain why you're concerned, and show them what you can help them with, if they want.  Buy and put up a ladder or two for them, or build them a nice ground blind (maybe even a small heater for it?), and let them decide on what they want. 

I agree we want to keep our folks safe, but we should also be respectful about how we do it.

My two cents, anyway

• Like 2

I am 65 & still use a climber, hang on's, & ladder stands but I also climbed utility poles for 40 yrs. I have also noticed the hills & valleys are getting a bit steeper & deeper with the climber on my back! (not in the shape I use to be even 10 yrs. ago , sucks!) lol

My two hunting buddies my uncle who is 80 and my dad who is 75 both use ladders, permanent stands, tripod and a elevated tower stand ..they don't use hang ons nor would i feel comfortable for them to use. Both are retired from doing construction work and have no fear of climbing or heights they have just slowed down a bit.

it has nothing to do with age, I know plenty of guys in their 30's and 40's who are probably one Big Mac away from death, on the other hand I know guys in their 60's who still run marathons........

Ain't that the truth. It's more about how good all around shape the person is in. I know I have to be more cautious now that I'm a bit older.

Here are the facts, after age 65 your body starts to take a dump.( so get ready for it ) there are exceptions and there are some people that live to be over 100 years old.At the age of 60 I could do what most 40 -50 year old fellows could do, I did manual labor my whole life, no pencile pusher jobs.At that age I still used climbers, Then I went to ladder stands,they got old and started falling apart like me, I now am back to where I started hunting 60 years ago on the ground at 74. No desire to sit in a swaying tree any more.

Thanks for all the responses. I dont want to tell the guys that taught me how to hunt that they shouldnt do anything, but I know the body doesnt recover like it used to for them and just worries me alittle. Luckily they are in good shape and hopefully never becomes an issue. Was just curious if annyone ran into these thoughts before.  Good luck all! 

There's a balance of telling someone what they should do against kindly suggesting something and why you believe it to help them get over some ignorance - face it, guys at times might not want to admit they're too old, sick, broken, etc. to do something. Letting them do something you overtly know is dangerous is not something that would weigh lightly. Sure it's their decision, but I've known more guys than I can count who couldn't come to grips with a task until they messed up. Same reason why ball players play too far into their careers or a boxer can't stay retired. Eventually reality punches them in the face for the worse.

Edited by phade