Live From The Woods 2024-2025 Edition

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Are their alot of antlerless deer in 8H?

There are a lot of deer period in 8H. Getting access to hunt them is a problem.

What public land there is gets quite a bit of pressure throughout the season.

• Like 1

With all the leaves still on the trees and underbrush visibility is very limited, early in the Squirrel season it is tough spotting them much less getting a shot especially with a 22. Usually, I hunt them with a shotgun early in the season for that reason, but I am hitting the woods with my pup and want to introduce him to gunfire with something that is easy on the ears. I don't think gun shyness is going to be any kind of problem with this guy, he was outdoors with me today on the shooting range while I was testing some 22 ammo and he was all good.

Al

Unfortunately I now only have access to this forum from my work computer. I use to be able to log in through Tapatalk on my phone but now even that has stopped. I tried resetting my password but with an absentee owner my request never gets fulfilled. 

Anyways... onto the hunting portion of this story. My daughter and I went out Saturday evening and set up in a log pile to get a jump on where we have been seeing a doe a few evenings a week. The plan worked out and she took her first ever deer in the start of her third season hunting.

It was a pretty wild 15-20 min as the doe popped out but offered no shot. We where not in the best of cover so we had to stay as still as possible but you could tell the doe was getting increasingly nervous. I think she could tell something was off but we where just hidden enough and she was up wind from us. She eventually worked up the courage to try and circle around us to get down wind but she didn't even have to get down wind all she had to do is get directly to our left because at that point we are completely exposed. She gets to our left, freezes, starts to stomp her hoof at us then eventually blows and takes off running. Here's the wild part she stops 60 yards away completely broadside just blowing away almost like she saw us but we somehow still had her confused. My daughter acts fast gets the gun on the doe and whispers "I'm shooting" I just simply replied "take it". Her gun goes off and the does front legs tuck into her body while she crashes to the ground and bulldozes and flips for 10 second before dying within site.  

High fives some hugs and probably a few tears of joy where had. Even though we knew the deer was dead and not moving we sat back down to let it all sink in. After about 10 min I have her get her tag out and start filling it out. At about the 20 min mark we slowly work our way over to the doe, thank her for her sacrifice before taking pictures and getting to work. This is a day neither of us will ever forget and has probably taken over as the best day I've ever had in the woods. 

IMG_9143.thumb.JPG.19e69715f4223f4f2a70d5d20a50e619.JPG

• Like 14

Did a cam check, just south of the border yesterday, apparently its the year of jacked up bucks, I've got a unicorn, a drop tine buck, a buck with a 4pt side and a giant spike on the other, And a buck with one normal side and an antler growing outa his forehead on the other side. 

• Like 2

really feeling the itch this morning! 1 week!, strange year for doe tags, my dad, son, nephew and I all got 7p and 7s. That's NEVER happened. Usually we only get 1-2 7p. Wife only got 7s. Gonna be a lot of shooting this year. 

3 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

really feeling the itch this morning! 1 week!, strange year for doe tags, my dad, son, nephew and I all got 7p and 7s. That's NEVER happened. Usually we only get 1-2 7p. Wife only got 7s. Gonna be a lot of shooting this year. 

Everyone here in 8P got two tags. Yes a lot of shooting. 

• Like 1