Would You Support a Blaze Orange Compromise?

wildcat junkie

You guys who don't wear orange is there a reason why have you been busted by a deer wearing orange or is it strictly just not want to look like a pumpkin....i only ask because this is first time in my life ever hearing that some don't wear orange during gun...i was raised to think it was required so never questioned it...

You guys who don't wear orange is there a reason why have you been busted by a deer wearing orange or is it strictly just not want to look like a pumpkin....i only ask because this is first time in my life ever hearing that some don't wear orange during gun...i was raised to think it was required so never questioned it...

I grew up during the red & black plaid era.......nobody even started wearing any orange until the late 80's and then it was pretty much only hats.........I started wearing more when my own kids got into hunting? and yes, the pumpkin suited hunters in the beginning were laughed at by some, pretty sure that's where the "orange army" term came from, but you would have had to have experienced it to really appreciate it.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

I'd happily go with a mandatory blaze orange if we got 30 min before sunrise and after sunset.

BUT..........I'd like it to be a certain number of sq inches to include a cape or vest and not mandate the use of a blaze orange cap.  Orange camo?  Whatever..............

This is only for big game hunting during the rifle/shotgun season, not ML.

Hey, if I could be king?????

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

I'd happily go with a mandatory blaze orange if we got 30 min before sunrise and after sunset.

BUT..........I'd like it to be a certain number of sq inches to include a cape or vest and not mandate the use of a blaze orange cap.  Orange camo?  Whatever..............

This is only for big game hunting during the rifle/shotgun season, not ML.

Hey, if I could be king?????

most states say 500in2. that's a hat and a vest. no big deal to most.

I don't wear blaze orange when I'm on MY property for the same reason I refuse to lock the doors of MY house, it's mine.

i love these statements. Someone how this protects you against a trespasser and robbery... :search:

about 25 years ago, a friend and I wearing head to toe orange against a snowy back ground were shot at from less than 50 yards by a hunter  (not with us)who mistook us for a deer. Thank god the shot went between us. I have no confidence in orange preventing accidents except that it should increase visibility to others in your party. If I recall correctly, turkey hunters are a huge percentage of shooting victims , and of course are full camo.

Myself, I wear orange when moving to my stand or still hunting, luckily my primary hunting area is very thinly hunted. I don't think mandating orange makes hunting safer for all, but I think it does for the hunter with common sense. Fools will continue to be fools.

I wear orange, vest & hat. Orange can be spotted from 500 yards away. It just stands out like a sore thumb.

The only problem with orange, is it may draw attention from another hunter, who might shoot at any movement. The orange is going to catch his eye before anything else. And if he's a loose canon, it's a problem.

I saw an orange hat moving through mountain laurel on opening day. It just stands out. Even in the thick stuff. I took off my orange hat, and started waving with the hat, so he knew I was there.

I can see perfect 30 min before and after. I can't understand why it isn't aloud. I don't think orange should be mandatory for that to take effect but if that was the only way for it to get approved.... Bring on the orange!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After being up at camp opening day for gun I don't think anyone up there knows the legal shooting hours and this past week with all the snow I heard my first shot at 5:45 am and the last shot at 5:15 pm. I always wear orange and the locals up there have said and I quote " you must be from Pennsylvania because no one around here wears orange"

No matter what the requirements are I will always wear it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we really want gun hunting to be safer all they have to do is do away with doe permits during gun season. The woods are exponentially safer when you take the brown is down out of the game! Just look at the accident numbers for NZ compared to SZ. Then the half hr law would be a no brainer. "Well maybe not for are law makers but..."

• Like 1

FO is mandatory here in PA during rifle and nobody really complains. It's government job to protect it's citizens with laws...FO DOES protect hunters.

I would say it is rare (when hunting NY) that I see any hunters w/o blaze orange. And 1/2 hr before & after sunrise/sunset is a great time in the woods. DO IT.

• Like 1

I would say no, I guess. I would not be upset over mandatory orange. I do understand the other view, there are to many regulations. It would be a positive thing from my perspective though.

There are some woods, like the pine forest that borders my land, that is really dark even in full sun, daytime.

Unfortunately most regulations are in place for the lowest common denominator. 

I grew up and still do hunt big woods of NZ. I do not see other hunters on our land. I do not wear orange. My choice. If I was hunting the smaller woods of SZ maybe. I did wear red when I hunted there.

Maybe if they were wearing blaze orange you would be able to see tresspassers that are sneaking onto your property.

Now we are going to hear about how law breakers don't obey the law. At least they could be cited if they were caught.

I think that's the main objection up here on the tindra. Tresspassing is a time honered traditioin here & when I moved in, many said that they would hunt on my property just like they always have.

I played a little phscological game & bought some 00 buckshot & inqiured about an extended magazine tube for my 870 at the local gun shop. When asked what I was going to hunt with that combo I replied, "poachers". The perception that I am perhaps a little bit crazy has worked well. I have never seen a strange boot print on my place.

The other argument that doesn't hold water is the relative scarcity of deer hunters in the woods here. That is the very attitude that leads to carelessness. If you are expecting hunters in the woods, you might be more cautious than if you assume you are alone. Blaze orange will usually tip one off to the presense of a hunter in the area long before a game identification issue might arise.

I require anyone hunting on my place to wear at least a blaze orange hat. Furthermore, any time I am out doing chores during hunting saeson, I wear a blaze orange hat. I have informed the neighbors that if they see anyone on my place W/O blaze orange, they are to call me immediately as that means someone is tresspassing.

As far as the safety of the extended hours? With good optics I can see antlers far beyond the 1/2 hour before/after scenerio at 250yds in one of the shooting lanes that is in the middle of a thick cut over area.

With iron sites under some conditions the sights aren't really visable at the extremes of that timeframe. Any ethical hunter would limit himself to only taking a shot when he could identify the game and see his sights before shooting. As for the a-holes that would shoot blindly at a dark shape in low light? Whether or not the shot is legal or ethical doesn't hold much sway. As pointed out though, blaze orange stands out like the glow on the end of a lit cigarette under low light & it shows through some pretty thick foliage too.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Maybe if they were wearing blaze orange you would be able to see tresspassers that are sneaking ontp your property.

Now we are going to hear about how law breakers don't obey the law. At least they could be cited if they were caught.

I think that's the main objection up here on the tindra. Tresspassing is a time honered traditioin here & when I moved in, many said that they would hunt on my property just like they always have.

I played a little phscological game & bought some 00 buckshot & inqiured about an extended magazine tube for my 870 at the local gun shop. When asked what I was going to hunt with that combo I replied, "poachers". The perception that I am perhaps a little bit crazy has worked well. I have never seen a strange boot print on my place.

The other argument that doesn't hold water is the relative scarcity of deer hunters in the woods here. That is the very attitude that leads to carelessness. If you are expecting hunters in the woods, you might be more cautious than if you assume you are alone. Blaze orange will usually tip one off to the presense of a hunter in the area long before a game identification issue might arise.

are you saying the main objective of you wanting to get blaze orange made mandatory in your area is to deter poachers? hmmm, I don't think that's its purpose.

Edited by jjb4900

It's government job to protect it's citizens with laws...FO DOES protect hunters.

WRONG!!  It is NOT the government's job or responsibility to protect any INDIVIDUAL from ANYTHING!

Government's sole purpose is to provide for the basic needs of the citizens and support a military to protect ALL of it's citizens from attack.  It can only do what the citizens decide to let it do!

The above type of big government thinking is what has allowed the government to pass all sorts of laws that infringe on personal liberty and individual freedom.  Helmet laws, seat belt laws, gun laws and blaze orange laws remove freedom of choice by force and should NEVER be allowed.  In a free society, it is up to each and every individual to decide what is best for them.  I'm not saying they aren't good choices, but the government has no business or Constitutional authority, to impose it's will on us by force.

I do not want anyone "protecting" me against my will.  I believe in freedom of choice, self awareness, self sufficiency and personal responsibility.  The fact that most people don't believe in those things and follow the masses like sheep, is the biggest problem this country has.  We used to be a free country.  We haven't been for a long time now.

I wear orange now. People shoot too early now, can you imagine how many shots would be heard if it we were able to hunt any earlier.

The trespassers I had were not wearing orange. I would like to think if there are tresspassers that they see me coming and leave

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1

most states say 500in2. that's a hat and a vest. no big deal to most.

i love these statements. Someone how this protects you against a trespasser and robbery... :search:

Maybe you didn't catch my drift but the BO hat is on a part of my body (HEAD) that is constantly moving, ever so slowly.  But THAT is what a deer will see.  My body doesn't move much but my head does.

WRONG!!  It is NOT the government's job or responsibility to protect any INDIVIDUAL from ANYTHING!

Government's sole purpose is to provide for the basic needs of the citizens and support a military to protect ALL of it's citizens from attack.  It can only do what the citizens decide to let it do!

The above type of big government thinking is what has allowed the government to pass all sorts of laws that infringe on personal liberty and individual freedom.  Helmet laws, seat belt laws, gun laws and blaze orange laws remove freedom of choice by force and should NEVER be allowed.  In a free society, it is up to each and every individual to decide what is best for them.  I'm not saying they aren't good choices, but the government has no business or Constitutional authority, to impose it's will on us by force.

I do not want anyone "protecting" me against my will.  I believe in freedom of choice, self awareness, self sufficiency and personal responsibility.  The fact that most people don't believe in those things and follow the masses like sheep, is the biggest problem this country has.  We used to be a free country.  We haven't been for a long time now.

Which is it??? One sentence protect us...the other don't protect us. Can't have it both ways.

Since PA has gone with mandatory FO...the number of "mistaking for game" accidents dropped like a rock. Coincidence?????