Weekend warrior

YFKI1983

This reminds me of something I see every summer when the guy with a 50k bass boats feels that he owns the boat launch and takes up a ramp and a dock for a half an hr and makes the guy with a john boat wait to launch his boat. Or the guy in a boat that passes a little boat without slowing down because he has to get there now. If a fella has 2 days a year to hunt and shoots the first legal deer he sees good for him. Just because someone doesn't scout or have trail cams doesn't make them an outlaw.

• Like 7

This reminds me of something I see every summer when the guy with a 50k bass boats feels that he owns the boat launch and takes up a ramp and a dock for a half an hr and makes the guy with a john boat wait to launch his boat. Or the guy in a boat that passes a little boat without slowing down because he has to get there now. If a fella has 2 days a year to hunt and shoots the first legal deer he sees good for him. Just because someone doesn't scout or have trail cams doesn't make them an outlaw.

Damn Right !

Except we we weren't talking about those who have limited time to hunt or small resources. We were discussing those folk who can't shoot (because they either don't care to, or don't have the time), have no care for their quarry, and feel that lighting up the woods from dawn till dusk is good, old boy fashioned fun.

These people are a menace to man and beast alike.

But how is that put on the "weekend warrior"

Maybe I'm confused but I consider a weekend warrior someone who's doesn't have the time and or money to invest in hunting that some of us do.

2 weeks ago I was talking to a friend of a friend about hunting and he said he hasn't been out yet because he has his own business and works 7 days a week. I told him I'd he could make a couple hrs on the next Saturday morning he was welcome to come over and sit one of my stands he graciously accepted. Around 730 I hear him shoot at about 8 I walk over to the stand I put him in and he is standing there with a huge smile on his face.. He shot a half rack 2 pointer that I had literly let walk 20 times and I could not have been happier it was the first deer he has killed in 4 years and I j was able to assist him and I felt awesome for it. He uses a 30-30 his grandpa gave him and a wore blue jeans and a flannel shirt.

I don't know about you guys but that's what hunting is about.

I even gave him an old muzzeloader and told him if he could make time he was welcome to come back as he is going to do on Friday.

• Like 3

casual and inexperienced hunter.

Yeah, that's probably what most people are talking about when they use the term "weekend warrior". It is usually not meant as a term of endearment ..... lol. I think those that use that term haven't figured out that most people use hunting as recreation. These so-called weekend warriors have recognized that they will still eat if they don't devote their lives to deer hunting. They don't treat it like their occupation and likely don't give a damn about impressing anyone. The thing is that they are hunters too just like any of us. I've found that many times these are much more pleasant guys to hang around with and hunt with.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's probably what most people are talking about when they use the term "weekend warrior". It is usually not meant as a term of endearment ..... lol. I think those that use that term haven't figured out that most people use hunting as recreation. These so-called weekend warriors have recognized that they will still eat if they don't devote their lives to deer hunting. They don't treat it like their occupation and likely don't give a damn about impressing anyone. The thing is that they are hunters too just like any of us. I've found that many times these are much more

pleasant guys to hang around with and hunt with.

Couldn't agree more!!

Exactly the opposite experience for me. The WWs I have met are loud-mouths and like to tell tall tales about their epic hunts. It is the experienced and senstive hunter that I find to be the most humble, and least likely to brag or be generally annoying.

And are we saying that dedicated hunters, who don't light up the woods from their ATVs, treat hunting like a job?

Now I'm confused :umbrage:

Well see we are struggling with a term that has no official definition. The kinds of people you are describing are basically what I call "slob hunters" who can show up at any time of the week. Not just on weekends.

I think Mike had the best description of a "weekend warrior" when he described them as casual and inexperienced. But I suppose with a term like this your definition is as good as anybody's. When you think about it, it is a stupid meaningless term. Go with the "slob hunter" everybody knows what your talking about with that one .....lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's probably what most people are talking about when they use the term "weekend warrior". It is usually not meant as a term of endearment ..... lol. I think those that use that term haven't figured out that most people use hunting as recreation. These so-called weekend warriors have recognized that they will still eat if they don't devote their lives to deer hunting. They don't treat it like their occupation and likely don't give a damn about impressing anyone. The thing is that they are hunters too just like any of us. I've found that many times these are much more pleasant guys to hang around with and hunt with.

Generally few are on this forum as well. To take the time to register, join and post you probably are pretty into hunting.

I think that many members on this forum are competitive and passionate. I believe that drives the debates and arguments. The ww just doesn't care enough to argue. If you hunt legally, safely and ethically it shouldn't matter how often you hunt. I believe the stereotype comes from the ww possibly being more prone to make mistakes do to inexperience and even possibly make some poor decisions with their time in the woods being limited.

Edited by Belo

Weekend warrior is what someone had described earlier.  Someone who works hard during the week but specifically in a white collar office setting and so they play hard during the weekend but specifically in an outdoor adventurous type.  The outdoor adventurous activity doesn't necessarily pertain to hunting.  It can be paintball, kayaking, etc.

Where I separate the weekend warriors from the true hunters is that I feel weekend warriors see the act of hunting as nothing more than a fun, adventurous activity where as true hunters take on the full hunter/gatherer mentality.

• Like 1

The guys that ride the season roads smoking cigs drinking beers hoping to see a deer run across the dirt road.

Best part is their in full camo lol.

The guys you are describing sound like locals to me not WW"s.  I have had some conversations where the locals told us we only own our land when we are there. When we are not they own it.

What is a definition of a WW?

Is he or she a Local or Someone from down state?

Or just someone who hunts on the weekend regardless where he comes from.

Is he a land owner or hunts private property?

If you own your land are you still considered a ww?

Now lets talk about the Locals are they any better than WW'S ?

or is it the locals on this site bashing the WW'S.

Just something to think about.

Remember we are all hunters, no matter when we choose or have the time to hunt.

What is a definition of a WW?

Is he or she a Local or Someone from down state?

Or just someone who hunts on the weekend regardless where he comes from.

Is he a land owner or hunts private property?

If you own your land are you still considered a ww?

Now lets talk about the Locals are they any better than WW'S ?

or is it the locals on this site bashing the WW'S.

Just something to think about.

Remember we are all hunters, no matter when we choose or have the time to hunt.

The word weekend is used to literally here. Someone earlier summed it correctly. A "weekend warrior" is someone who is casual, not serious/hard core and enexperienced. I am a weekend warrior golfer. I enjoy golfing. I have cheap clubs, I don't throw my clubs and I rarely go to the range. I golf to relax, not to compete. There are deer hunters just like this. I know many golfers who hate the weekend warrior because we move to slow and possibly don't respect all the rules and it's probably why there are so many private clubs for those who want to avoid the warrior.

The casual deer hunter is not a problem, but whenever you have a gun instead of a club and you're taking the life of a creature there needs to a certain level of training and respect involved.

The word weekend is used to literally here. Someone earlier summed it correctly. A "weekend warrior" is someone who is casual, not serious/hard core and enexperienced. I am a weekend warrior golfer. I enjoy golfing. I have cheap clubs, I don't throw my clubs and I rarely go to the range. I golf to relax, not to compete. There are deer hunters just like this. I know many golfers who hate the weekend warrior because we move to slow and possibly don't respect all the rules and it's probably why there are so many private clubs for those who want to avoid the warrior.

The casual deer hunter is not a problem, but whenever you have a gun instead of a club and you're taking the life of a creature there needs to a certain level of training and respect involved.

Some WW's are just that they only have time to hunt on the weekends. Due to jobs, family commitments etc. Or just plain too far to travel from where they live, not like some who live close to where they hunt. They have more opportunity to hunt than the WW's, but that doesn't mean the WW's are all any less the hunter than they are. Some may be but not all..

I hunt almost exclusively on the weekends. But I would not consider myself a weekend warrior. I think we're saying the same thing. The "term" does indeed apply to some hunters though. Maybe a better "term" is the "deer camp" hunter. The guy that dusts off his rifle and handed down camo and is more interested in drinking beer than the 2 days he spends in the blind.