Getting kids started young

fasteddie

My son took his 9 year old with him to camp and shot an 8 point . My grandson claimed it as "his" deer . His younger 6 year old brother wanted to go out with dad and my son shot a doe with the muzzle loader making another grandson happy . Now the 6 year old twin sister wants to go out with dad because it's her turn .

I called up my 6 year old grandson to congratulate him ( even though his dad shot the deer ) and he told me about seeing the deer's heart , his dad removing the guts and stuff and draining the blood . He was quite excited .

post-132-0-74540400-1418418859_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-96003700-1418419136.png

• Like 11

post-481-1418474412854_thumb.jpg

My 14 yr old nephew and my brother in law teaching him on the left with his first deer. On the right my 12 year old helping me with mine. And my younger brother in the background. Family and the young ones is what it's about!

I remember how excited I got when I was there age! Still do!

• Like 3

If you get them to have the itch at a young age, they will scratch it the rest of their lives!  Love it, awesome! 

I never had a mentor but at an early age of 6 I was introduced to hunting and guns from my uncle Mert who was known as a great and very successful hunter.  Even though I did not hunt with him or get any knowledge the itch was created!  Personally I love getting anyone involved in hunting but getting the kids involved is a whole different level! 

• Like 1

I used to take my son along when squirrel hunting. He was so small I had to carry him through tall weeds. He would get up with me in the wee hours to tag along on spring turk-tee hunts.

In his late teens he lost interest, but this year, at 25, he got really fired up about deer hunting.

Planting the seed when they're young sometimes takes a while to sprout, but it's still there.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I used to take my son along when squirrel hunting. He was so small I had to carry him through tall weeds. He would get up with me in the wee hours to tag along on spring turk-tee hunts.

In his late teens he lost interest, but this year, at 25, he got really fired up about deer hunting.

Planting the seed when they're young sometimes takes a while to sprout, but it's still there.

i was the same way hunted when I was 12-16 then didn't hunt till I was 22 now I'm addicted to all hunting and cannot get enough of it. If I can hunt it I'll give it a whirl

12 year old daughter has 3 guns in the safe. Last night she was Clara in the Nutcracker. One of the most precious moments of my life. On the way home she asked now that deer season is almost over if we can set some more muskrat traps together. Took her 3x spring turkey hunting this year. Woke her at 3 am and dressed at 3 02 ready to go. On pointe for ballet each of those 3x. Never regret not having a boy because I have the best little daughter wrapped up in one : )  Buying a buddy stand this off season so she can sit with me early gun season when "hopefully" it's not too cold next year.

post-5805-0-88251400-1418521955_thumb.jp

Our 10 and 11 years old daughters were getting into it a bit up a Grandpas cabin on thanksgiving weekend. The older one (on right) wanted to go out in he blind with me a for a little while the following weekend at home. We heated some apple cider on a little Coleman stove and watched for deer a while. She enjoyed herself but we didn't stay out to long in the cold. Santa is bringing her a bb-gun for Christmas, and mamma don't know about that yet.

Edited by wolc123

Spring Turkey season is a great time to take little ones out because the weather is warm.

Same thing for squirrel season.

When Josh was about 5 or 6 I took him squirrel hunting. We lived in Southern Indiana & it's quite balmy in late August when the squirrells get to cutting..

We heard some Grays cutting in a cherry tree. I had Josh stand still while I slipped around the base of the tree. Soon I spotted a squirrel & dropped it with the 22rf. I looked over at Josh & put my finger to my lips to signal him to stay quiet. A few minuutes later I spied another Gray & nailed that one too. It fell out of the tree between us. He couldn't be quiet any more after all that excitement.

That was all we got that morning. I showed him how to make a forked stick to carry them.

About a week later he came home from school with a picture of those 2 squirrels hanging from a stick with the biggest smiles on their faces. There were also 2 stick figures, me & him. The stick man that represented me had a beard.

• Like 1

Nice pictures guys!!! Ive been going hunting since 8yo and started going at 12 with my dad for deer. I remember times when I would cry if I couldnt go. But I always managed to go with my dad. Its the best to get young ones out early. I learned alot from my dad!! You older men know plenty of tricks in the book. Its two years since My dad passed away and I sit in his favorite hunting spots and I still feel guided by him!! ;)

So my wife and I are having an ongoing argument about this very topic.  I say that I'll take my daughter in the field as soon as she says she wants to go.  Wife says there's no way she's going and she's definitely not watching or helping gut a deer til she's at least 12.  Thoughts?

So my wife and I are having an ongoing argument about this very topic.  I say that I'll take my daughter in the field as soon as she says she wants to go.  Wife says there's no way she's going and she's definitely not watching or helping gut a deer til she's at least 12.  Thoughts?

I think that depends on what your daughter wants.

Josh was so so small when I took him spring gobbler hunting that he sat snuggled between my legs in the pre-dawn darkness.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Fast maybe you need to take out the grandkids they seem like they are good luck charms

I was going to say the same thing!!LOL I don't have grandkids so I guess my daughter and my nephew will do.He finished his season last weekend,he is already talking about spring turkeys,GOTTA LOVE IT!!

I was going to say the same thing!!LOL I don't have grandkids so I guess my daughter and my nephew will do.He finished his season last weekend,he is already talking about spring turkeys,GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Spring gobbler season is awesome for kids, the Owl calling & gobblers answering in the darkness.

I never got a shot at a Tom when my little boy was with me, but he got lots of thrills & got to hear more than one gobbler.

• Like 1