Winterkill in Northern Region 8

phade

The weatherman is panicking at the potential for losing his doom and gloom, ratings-boosting nightly forecasting with the advent of the warmer weather. So now they are all hyping up what they call the "return to winter" during the last two weeks of March. No they are not calling for a return to -30 degrees of wind-chill, but they are ranting and raving about the return of colder weather and more snow.

Well, that's not surprising news. March is noted for at least one big ugly storm of heavy, sloppy, gloppy, heart-attack inducing, snow. No, winter is not done with us yet. I can even remember a 6" snowstorm in May. And I can remember quite a few snowy Easter-egg hunts. So there is no need to break out the shorts just yet. But it probably is not a real good idea to completely buy into the whining and hand-wringing of the weathermen either. Lately, they seem to be more interested in ratings and sensationalism than accurate forecasting.

• Like 2

Looks like March will be the beginning of the end for a lot of deer around here in 9h.

I was just down this exact creek bottom trail yesterday afternoon just to stretch my legs. This is my daily hike with the camera until the snow melts back a bit for me to get into the timber more.
Some time between yesterday and this evening, this little button buck bedded down in the hemlocks and died right in my boot tracks from yesterday.
At this rate, I'm preparing for one of the worst dead deer seasons I've ever seen and I haven't even come close to accumulating any kind of serious hike time or mileage.

Sorry for another dead deer pic, but I think you all get the point about how this winter is unfolding here. Like I said this happened sometime within the last 24hrs.
Bare ground tomorrow couldn't reverse winters strangle hold at this point. The damage has already been done, and now they are dropping like flys.

Some of you guys that like to bash on hunters for killing fawns and yearlings really need to get a grip if you think this is a pleasant way to die.

I've seen it.., and it's NOT!

DSC_1961_zpszew0pgj8.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like March will be the beginning of the end for a lot of deer around here in 9h.

I was just down this exact creek bottom trail yesterday afternoon just to stretch my legs. This is my daily hike with the camera until the snow melts back a bit for me to get into the timber more.

Some time between yesterday and this evening, this little button buck bedded down in the hemlocks and died right in my boot tracks from yesterday.

At this rate, I'm preparing for one of the worst dead deer seasons I've ever seen and I haven't even come close to accumulating any kind of serious hike time or mileage.

Sorry for another dead deer pic, but I think you all get the point about how this winter is unfolding here. Like I said this happened sometime within the last 24hrs.

Bare ground tomorrow couldn't reverse winters strangle hold at this point. The damage has already been done, and now they are dropping like flys.

Some of you guys that like to bash on hunters for killing fawns and yearlings really need to get a grip if you think this is a pleasant way to die.

DSC_1961_zpszew0pgj8.jpg

Like X 1,000,00 on the last message. Edited by phade
  • Like 2

Funny, although I'm a hunter and killer of these creatures it pains me greatly to see  this.  Much like a car/deer collision it is a sad occurrence and painful to view.

Thanks for the picture wooly, it makes me appreciate them even more if you know what I mean..........

RIP little buck fawn.

• Like 7

Sad to see. The suburban deer are doing much better . The ones in Webster look fine , my buddy in Penfield has one of my cameras in his yard lots of deer in good health.

Our friends who have a house along Irondequoit bay watched 6 deer run and play on the ice for 30 minutes yesterday .

It was a real slaughter out on the main road in 9F this morning.  A large group of "yarded" deer tried to cross at morning rush-hour and 3-4 didn't make it.   A guy at work said one hit the side of his car as he was slowing, and he saw several pummeled at 65 mph by the cars up ahead.  I imagine the coyotes have forced them onto the roads as the footing is getting good for them now with the melting and crusting snow.  Overtaking starving and tired deer must be like taking candy from babies.  I saw a monster of a coyote out of my bedroom window last night in the waning moonlight.  It was so tall, I thought it was a deer at first, until I saw the long, bushy, hanging tail behind.    

Edited by wolc123

DSC_1961_zpszew0pgj8.jpg

Though I don't revel in the thought of death in any manner... nature running it's course doesn't phase me in the least. This is what is... and will always be. As for worrying about the deer population, it rebounds so quickly that usually you will only feel it for the upcoming season with numbers usually returning to normal the following year. I do agree that Mother Nature can be cruel... but she has a plan that has worked for eons. The greater tragedy is when man interferes with the natural order instead of helping it along or leaving it be.

Though I don't revel in the thought of death in any manner... nature running it's course doesn't phase me in the least.

I'll agree with that right up to the point of it not phasing you in the least.

I hope that as hunters, most of us probably cringe at the thought of a shot we've inflicted result in the wounding and suffering of an animal for any period of time longer than desired.

We bust each others asses when we hear of marginal shots being taken for this reason. I would hope none of us here enjoys seeing a deer suffer any longer than they have to for any reason.

I know you can't control the weather, but I get a bit annoyed when the tears only start to fall when there's a wall of tines attached to the remains, and the rest get shrugged off as mother nature running her course.

While I try not to interfere with some of the natural things I see happening on some of my hikes, occasionally I get a little wrapped up in the moment and let my natural "human side" come through on the inside without intervention.

It's pretty easy for me to walk by 20-30 carcasses of all shapes and sizes in a shed season without batting an eye, and I'm sure that's what you were getting at as well, but when you see the suffering happening right before you, it makes you think about things a little differently although there's nothing to possibly be done.

• Like 5

I tried getting out to walk some fields looking for sheds today and all of the spot that I wanted to check had deer out in them already...so, I just let them be. As I mentioned earlier, I'm seeing a lot of fawns which makes me optimistic about the winter kill.  Winter isn't over yet but conditions are certainly FAR better than they were even a week ago.  Saw quite a few turkeys today too.

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 2

I'll agree with that right up to the point of it not phasing you in the least.

I hope that as hunters, most of us probably cringe at the thought of a shot we've inflicted result in the wounding and suffering of an animal for any period of time longer than desired.

We bust each others asses when we hear of marginal shots being taken for this reason. I would hope none of us here enjoys seeing a deer suffer any longer than they have to for any reason.

I know you can't control the weather, but I get a bit annoyed when the tears only start to fall when there's a wall of tines attached to the remains, and the rest get shrugged off as mother nature running her course.

While I try not to interfere with some of the natural things I see happening on some of my hikes, occasionally I get a little wrapped up in the moment and let my natural "human side" come through on the inside without intervention.

It's pretty easy for me to walk by 20-30 carcasses of all shapes and sizes in a shed season without batting an eye, and I'm sure that's what you were getting at as well, but when you see the suffering happening right before you, it makes you think about things a little differently although there's nothing to possibly be done.

Unfortunately suffering is a big part of mother nature's food chain... and we're in the chain like it or not. I agree with you that if you're the kind of person that is bothered by that suffering it shouldn't matter what the animal is... and yes, seeing the suffering is much different than just knowing it happens. But, I am one of those guys that wouldn't try to, for example, interrupt a coyote taking down a deer... or a hawk killing a rabbit...and I don't get all balled up over possible winter kill or even the death of a wild animal... it's all part of nature's balancing act and will forever continue in spite of us. My point really was that I rarely give it any thought unless someone brings it up... it just is what it is.

I found another dead doe and two more fawns yesterday all on top of the snow but looked like they'd been there more than a few days.

I like those encounters of animals eating other animals Joe. Sure there's some pain and suffering that comes along with them, and sometimes it's hard to watch (not for me), but it's a hell of a lot quicker than the long process of starvation, or die off due to prolonged exposure when their gas tanks are running on empty.

The coolest thing I ever saw was two yotes catch and kill a fawn. How is that normal for a sensitive guy like myself to say,lol

A couple of nights ago I drove by one of the fields and saw about a dozen deer feeding. One was bedded and didn't look right. Its head was hanging kind of low. Just went by this morning and the crows are feeding on it. 

Sucks.

I find it funny how we as hunters have different points of view on many things.  I believe perspective takes a big part in our views. 

I understand the circle of life but seeing a deer die in front of you is a little different under these circumstances.  Mother Nature can be cruel and hard but you get use to it after seeing death so often.  Does not mean one of those will not tug at your heart. 

Your hard core Joe, like that was unexpected, lol.  :sarcastichand:

We never find them around here any longer. They are well fed with feed left in the ground and sometimes we lose 1000lbs Alfalfa bales off the wagons and they seem to fall in just the right spots for them. I give the guys grief for it when they lose them but 10-12 bales a year are not going to break the place.

• Like 2

I found another dead doe and two more fawns yesterday all on top of the snow but looked like they'd been there more than a few days.

I like those encounters of animals eating other animals Joe. Sure there's some pain and suffering that comes along with them, and sometimes it's hard to watch (not for me), but it's a hell of a lot quicker than the long process of starvation, or die off due to prolonged exposure when their gas tanks are running on empty.

The coolest thing I ever saw was two yotes catch and kill a fawn. How is that normal for a sensitive guy like myself to say,lol

LOL.. we humans are complicated animals that have emotions that wander all over the place... I guess we can be sensitive and understand reality at the same time.

As much time as I spend in the woods I see very little in the way of winter kill in my area

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

I remember back when the Honeoye yard was active, and you could drive right up to dozens of starving deer without them using the energy to move out of your way until the last minute. It was like they had given up. And there were the deer carcasses hanging from the fences where the deer were so weak, they failed to get their rear legs over the top of the fence and hung there until they died. It was a pretty gruesome and emotional sight. The snow covered mounds across the field of dead deer. Yeah it was sad. But that next fall I was out in the woods plotting to kill another one of them. It is a mixed message, and one that is difficult to explain. I don't even try.

I remember back when the Honeoye yard was active, and you could drive right up to dozens of starving deer without them using the energy to move out of your way until the last minute. It was like they had given up. And there were the deer carcasses hanging from the fences where the deer were so weak, they failed to get their rear legs over the top of the fence and hung there until they died. It was a pretty gruesome and emotional sight. The snow covered mounds across the field of dead deer. Yeah it was sad. But that next fall I was out in the woods plotting to kill another one of them. It is a mixed message, and one that is difficult to explain. I don't even try.

What year approximately was that Doc?

It is a strange relationship we have with deer. I found a buck tangled in a fence. After a brief struggle a friend and I freed him . It was in October and if that same deer had walked past me while hunting , it is likely that I would have shot him, not saved him.

I came home the back way to check one of our back lines...28 deer feeding and bedding in the farmers hay field that lines our woods...That was a welcome site...at 2:30pm...on the way to gym there was one fawn in the lower PT field. We still have over a foot on the ground but the farmers hay field is a south facing one so it's melted faster. Everyone just a 1/2 mile below us has more bown than white showing now.

• Like 1

It is a strange relationship we have with deer. I found a buck tangled in a fence. After a brief struggle a friend and I freed him . It was in October and if that same deer had walked past me while hunting , it is likely that I would have shot him, not saved him.

Lol ..... It could be that as predators, we want the job done by our own hand rather than with the help of something so impersonal as weather (or a fence). I do believe it relates to the hunt where we believe that we will do a cleaner, more humane kill. I have always said that no animal will ever receive a kinder end than a well-placed arrow or bullet from a hunter. Now, I realize that there are occasional exceptions to that, but Mother Nature is one cruel S.O.B. (and that does not stand for Sweet Old Bill either .... lol). I mean, when you think about all the different ways that she controls populations, it quickly is clear that none of them is anything we would like to go through. So it is possible that we plan for a better end for the critters than the lingering ways of death that Mother Nature has planned for them. Ah, but all that stuff is tied up with the reasons that we hunt. And we have had that thread here before and it turns out that we all have our own spin on why we hunt. It's a very personal set of reasons.

• Like 1