Has anyone else seen a large decrease in turkey numbers in your area?

martinhunter12

In the Cicero, NY (North of Syracuse) area where I hunt, the decrease in turkeys these past couple of years has been evident. I mean I hardly see any birds at all, let alone gobblers. I have had two cameras out for a couple weeks about 1/2 mile apart and not one gobbler, only a couple hens.  In the past (5-7 years ago) if I drove around the local fields and didn't see a fanned bird that was rare this time of year.  Has anyone else in this area or any area where you hunt seen a decrease in turkey population?

Turkey populations are down. This winter, depending on local resources and snow depth, certainly had a negative impact on them. I haven't seen any studies yet, but from a purely anecdotal standpoint I heard of quite a few people noticing winter-killed birds under roosting areas, with emaciated bodies.

Here are 10-year charts of the fall turkey takes:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30412.html (full page has a fall harvest by County)

fallturkey13.jpg

And 10-year charts of spring takes:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30420.html

tkyspring14.jpg

As always, turkey numbers will vary regionally, depending on resources available to the birds, local weather conditions, and nest predation/poult survival.

I can say that I haven't seen a wild turkey in a year, and I do actively hunt them (spring and fall). Either I have gotten really bad at hunting them, their numbers are down, or I have had immense bad luck. The truth is probably a bit from both column B and C.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 4

quite honestly, does anyone need to kill two gobblers if the population is questionable? you're certainly not filling the freezer with them and I never  heard of turkey "overbrowsing" and hurting the environment..........we all need to be stewards of the land and do the right thing.

• Like 1

Any thing happening in those areas ...other than weather to change #'s...you saw me talk about last fall... I ended up sitting in roosted flocks many times..I've seen many birds this spring but heard few gobbles...Our habitat changed with two roosting/nesting areas logged,but farmer planted hay,oats,and corn...pine plantations and swamps helped them winter over..plus the standing corn field near by.

Edited by growalot

I have been pleasantly surprised with the numbers this spring. There have been 3 long-beards displaying in the field next door for weeks. I accidentally bumped one off a nest a couple of days ago. I've been out cutting wood the past few days. There is turkey sign all over.

I'm relatively high in my town. The birds left the hill early in the winter. I was not seeing them anywhere until farmers started spreading manure in March and bare spots of ground started showing. I don't know how they survived. I suspect that winter survival may vary according to local conditions.

Had a couple gobbling on the ridge behind the house last evening. A few years ago,there would have been at least a half dozen of them gobbling back there. The last couple of winters have been pretty bad here and seeing a lot more fishers and coyotes as well. For sure we have fewer turkeys now than we had even five years ago,due to a combination of factors.

I know Fishers are rough on them but I have to tell you ...ppl are overlooking the huge impact that raccoons have on all nesting birds they are veracious egg eaters and have excellent noses....there are not as many ppl out there coon hunting or trapping and they are multiplying like rats. Now I had a raccoon killed by something on our place for the body was left in front of one of my cams...fox/crows and a few hawks eventually picked it clean...infact I just noticed the bones the other day...but that's rare and may have died due to rabies or distemper...or was weakened by diseases...raccoons are not an easy prey animal so they multiply and eat eat eat...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Im also in Cicero and the numbers do seem to be down. I have been seeing a few toms with hens, off and on but not like I use to. Although, this weekend, I did have to stop and let 4 hens cross in front of my truck on Cicero Center RD.

Definitely seems like numbers are down in 8N where I am. During the last couple weeks of scouting & during the youth season, we only heard a total of 3 birds between all of our spots. In the past, it was normal to hear a bird or two sound off from every ridge around. Not much sign out there either. Like has been said though, plenty of fisher & coon sightings in the past cpl years. Rough springs and high predators are too much for them I think. In the past, I've killed 2 birds per year whenever I've had the chance, not this year though. I'm going to try & get my son a bird, then that'll be it. No reason to have a 2 bird limit anymore. I really think turkeys may be headed the same way pheasants went. You might hear one here & there on a spring morning, but hunting wild ones will be a really low success thing. Maybe we can get DEC to raise them and do a release a few days before the season. LoL.

• Like 1

Saw one decent bird yesterday. Usually we are surrounded by gobbling but this year and last, things have gotten quiet. I will be out there in the am tomorrow, but unless a stellar bird comes in, I may give the turkey a total pass this year. Spend the season on trespasser patrol instead. Almost as much fun.

• Like 2

Significant drop off in sightings in our area 9H. Combination of hunt pressure from adjoining county property, to the construction of the wind generators destroying the traditional roosting areas, to Geo Cachers tromping through the county property in search of one of those  cache things. We don't bother hunting turkeys anymore...they are gone.

Saw one decent bird yesterday. Usually we are surrounded by gobbling but this year and last, things have gotten quiet. I will be out there in the am tomorrow, but unless a stellar bird comes in, I may give the turkey a total pass this year. Spend the season on trespasser patrol instead. Almost as much fun.

Not a bad idea to give them a pass. I'd be just as happy bow fishing or chuck hunting.

Edited by Skillet

Heavy winter kill and more importantly cold wet springs combined with increse in egg eaters (oposum, skunk,racoon,) have decimated the turkey populatin over the last few years. Allso in 9h and 9n turkeys do not like wind mills I think the blade fliker bothers them.

Edited by happy trails
  • Like 1

Significant drop off in sightings in our area 9H. Combination of hunt pressure from adjoining county property, to the construction of the wind generators destroying the traditional roosting areas, to Geo Cachers tromping through the county property in search of one of those  cache things. We don't bother hunting turkeys anymore...they are gone.

If you (or anyone else reading this) has trouble with GeoCachers on public lands during hunting season, you might consider signing up for the Geocaching.com website and politely notifying the owners of the caches on that property that there are active hunters using the property as well, and the durations of the seasons. Most cache owners will 'close' the caches during hunting seasons (both to be polite but also because they may see it as a safety risk) and most GeoCachers are courteous.