Slicktrick broadheads

NYBuckHunter27

Trying to decide if i want to switch broad-heads, i currently use grimreapers whitetail special's 2inch with success but i believe my bow setup  just isn't setup correct for enough penetration for a larger cutting mechanical, frankly i think i have just gotten lucky finding the two bucks that i did shoot, poor shot placement was a factor too.

I was just wondering if anyone has tryed any of  the slicktrick broadheads?

The standards are my favorite fixed blade.  Not a huge fan of the vipers and haven't tried the grizzly.  I shoot mechanicals mostly but have used the standards out of blinds and on occasion from the stand.  Good clean kills.  No whistling with my set up either.  I use the 125g heads.

• Like 1

Trying to decide if i want to switch broad-heads, i currently use grimreapers whitetail special's 2inch with success but i believe my bow setup  just isn't setup correct for enough penetration for a larger cutting mechanical, frankly i think i have just gotten lucky finding the two bucks that i did shoot, poor shot placement was a factor too.

I was just wondering if anyone has tryed any of  the slicktrick broadheads?

I do not have a lot of experience with them. There seems to be a lot of positive feedback though. I started out shooting the 2" grimreapers(didn't like their sharpness and penetration), and switched to the slick tricks. I shot one large doe with the st and it blew right through the lungs. Terrible blood trail for a double lung broadside shot. She was easy enough to find but I actually had to look fairly hard in spots to follow blood trail. Switched to the rage 2.5" extremes cut on contacts and except for the couple that I hit shoulders with have had complete pass throughs and a trail a blind man could follow. The broadheads stopped just short of passing through on the shoulder blade hit deer but still left a great blood trail.. Close to 100% of the rages were one and done.

My thoughts are that any deer I have ever lost was due to the shot being too far back. I figure the larger hole will allow me a better chance to recover the deer on a dreaded bad shot.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 1

I was just talking to Gary Huber yesterday at Cabela's (he works there) about Slick Tricks.  He and I both shoot them and have had tons of success between us.  They fly straight as a proverbial arrow.  :)

Not sure on the exact total of deer that I've killed with Slick Tricks but I'd guess 15 or so.  Lost a couple too but you sure as shiit can't blame the broadhead.

That'd be operator error!!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

I've been using them for several years now( Mags, Razortricks and Grizztricks) and they all shoot great and are very sharp. Blood trails are not great but if I do my job the results are dead deer. They are priced right, or at least they were. I haven't bought any since the company changed hands.

I've been using them for several years now( Mags, Razortricks and Grizztricks) and they all shoot great and are very sharp. Blood trails are not great but if I do my job the results are dead deer. They are priced right, or at least they were. I haven't bought any since the company changed hands.

Slick trick is now owned by the same company as Elite Archery. The 100 grain standards and magnums are now priced at $39.95/4 heads at Cabela's. They used to be 3/$29.95

New packaging too theses days.

• Like 1

I haven't tried them personally. My BH of choice now is the Rage brand. I have tried the "fixed" head types such as Muzzy, Wasp, etc., but never could get them to fly true????

The Mechanicals will fly like a dart for sure. I have heard some good info on Slick Tricks, but still a little hesitant of spending the money again on a fixed type of head.

• Like 1

I do not have a lot of experience with them. There seems to be a lot of positive feedback though. I started out shooting the 2" grimreapers(didn't like their sharpness and penetration), and switched to the slick tricks. I shot one large doe with the st and it blew right through the lungs. Terrible blood trail for a double lung broadside shot. She was easy enough to find but I actually had to look fairly hard in spots to follow blood trail. Switched to the rage 2.5" extremes cut on contacts and except for the couple that I hit shoulders with have had complete pass throughs and a trail a blind man could follow. The broadheads stopped just short of passing through on the shoulder blade hit deer but still left a great blood trail.. Close to 100% of the rages were one and done.

My thoughts are that any deer I have ever lost was due to the shot being too far back. I figure the larger hole will allow me a better chance to recover the deer on a dreaded bad shot.

May i ask what your bow setup is? 

Slick Trick standards are my first choice for fixed. 

Look at the 1 3/8" GR razor tips if you don't have enough energy to push the 2" GR...very effective. I only use these two heads (ST and the GR) exclusively now and see zero reason to change. 

• Like 1

if you're preoccupied with making bad shots, then by all means go with a large diameter mechanical that can make the difference between a loss and a recovery and set your bow up so it can allow them to perform properly.....and I don't mean that comment in a negative way at all............I personally like to use a fixed blade and hit the woods thinking positively.

It's all about accuracy when shooting a bow.  Don't understand the above comment "if your pre-occupied with making bad shots", who in their right mind would be doing that? A mechanical will always fly truer than a fixed head type of broadhead just by their design. I understand that their is quite a lot of brands out there and some might be questionable with light weight poundage to work properly. I'm referring to the tried and tested, best of the bunch. Again, accuracy with your equipment is what we all should be striving for. Like mentioned in my post above, I haven't tried the Slick-Trick brand of broad heads, but I have very good reports on them.

It's all about accuracy when shooting a bow.  Don't understand the above comment "if your pre-occupied with making bad shots", who in their right mind would be doing that? A mechanical will always fly truer than a fixed head type of broadhead just by their design. I understand that their is quite a lot of brands out there and some might be questionable with light weight poundage to work properly. I'm referring to the tried and tested, best of the bunch. Again, accuracy with your equipment is what we all should be striving for. Like mentioned in my post above, I haven't tried the Slick-Trick brand of broad heads, but I have very good reports on them.

who would do that? people who have had bad experiences that only had happy endings due to a large broadhead.......bad shots stick with most normal people long after it's all said and done, and they carry that with them into future hunts by remembering that bad shot and why it turned out ok in the end......not really tough to understand.

May i ask what your bow setup is? 

I shoot a K&K vengeance maxed at 68#s .. A reputable bow tuner (Breathn) IBOed it at 338 fps after strings and tune. I'm shooting a 380 grain arrow + or- .Not sure what my actual arrow speed is with this set-up.

Right at this point in time I am loving the rage extreme cut on contact heads.. I only have a little bit of experience with them so far 5 maybe 6 deer. Time will tell, us bowhunters have a hard time letting good enough,  alone.. 

A mechanical will always fly truer than a fixed head type of broadhead just by their design.

A properly tuned bow will shoot either design the same. Mechanicals were brought about for guys that dont tune their bows properly. I shoot G5 Montecs, and they shoot exactly the same as my field tips.

The Slick Tricks are nice, I had some of the Grizz Tricks, but sold them because I moved over to the Montecs due to them being easy to resharpen with a flat stone. Love them.

Yep.  I hunt in Idaho and you cannot use Mechanicals there.  So I bough the slick tricks (and I also bought the Muzzy Trocar).  BOTH shoot great.  BOTH shoot great out to 50 yards.  The Slicks shoot just a little better but not enough to say it was not my set-up or other variables.

I did have to play with the rest a little bit but once I got them there all was fine.  I was impressed. 

I shoot a Bear Assault rated for 327 FPS.  I was using XX78s (2315) but they have been discontinued so I am switching to XX75 (2216). 

The only thing to point out would be the marketing "Shoots with your field points".  They were not far off but I had to play with the rest a little to get them drilled in.

Hope it helps. 

I use the the 100 gr. Mags.   They are an amazing broadhead and they are scary sharp.  Every deer I have hit was a complete pass through.  One time I hit a doe on a quartering to, I hit a little left.  The Trick passed through the front shoulder, down the middle and exited out the opposite hind quarter.  I will never use any other broadhead for deer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...